User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I think I'm going to submit to the group that we have already been involved in a sort of unwitting eugenics program.

For the last two centuries we have been (to a degree) selectively breeding for those who can adapt to technology. People who succeed at this have the best chance at reproducing, and people who fail at it have a reduced chance.

We've also been breeding (increasingly selectively) for all the traits that make succeessful city-dwellers.

But this has been simply through trends in the population, not through any program of central planning.
    I think it would be a bit of a mistake to characterize urbanization as primarily voluntary, even though that does correspond to the accepted narrative. Central planning, no, but decentralized planning, absolutely.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

The problem with taking genes away from the pool is that you really can't know if they are useful or not in the long run. There are quite a lot of "useless" genes and they give the species the adaptability. Say, a new disease comes around, and it wipes out a lot of people. Quite often there are people who are immune to it already, due to some random mutation. Maybe next time the ones immune will be the mentally retarded, who knows. And you know the case where a guy had leukemia and aids? The leukemia was treated, and by accident they got rid of the aids. So, if you had gotten rid of leukemia by your eugenics, then this discovery wouldn't have been made at all. It's good to have variety, so these kinds of surprises are possible.

Besides, the best way to make sure to get healthy offspring is to breed young and with someone as far from your neighborhood as possible. So, we should just send teen-agers across the globe when they are 18 and not sell condoms to people under 25.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by The_World_As_Will View Post
    What baffles me is that people here continue to fuel the desires of an ambiguous troll... are you people that bored?
    What else are we suppose to do with our free time, something constructive?

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

What baffles me is that people here continue to fuel the desires of an ambiguous troll... are you people that bored?
    To be honest, this is a GOOD subject for discussion. It's not a bad idea for a thread at all, in my opinion. The way in which he approaches it incites negativity, and I believe people's initial hostility to the OP makes the discussion more closed off/narrow. But a discussion on the merits and downfalls of eugenics is not a terrible thread to make. But he is entitled to his opinion, as are the rest of us.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Eugenics is defined as the betterment of the human gene pool through selective breeding.

The fact that genes play a significant role in behavior, intelligence, and illnesses such as cancer and cystic fibrosis is pretty well established. What would be so wrong with sterilizing people with mental retardation or serious inheritable diseases? Is it not cruel to let a child be born with a 90% chance of getting, say, Huntington's disease?

If I were in charge, I would first sterilize all violent criminals. Yes, there is a small percentage of people in federal prison who are innocent, but the vast majority are not. Raising a child is one of the most demanding things a person can do, and a violent offender will more than likely not be able to stimulate the child's curiosity in a positive way or teach them moral lessons or anything else of the sort. This creates a cycle of crime and poverty that is difficult or impossible to break out of.

The mentally retarded or borderline retarded should be sterilized as well. The boundary should be at an IQ of 80; if yours is below 80, you will be sterilized, and if it's higher, then you won't be sterilized. Intelligence has a strong genetic component and people with low intelligence will probably be unable to raise moral and intelligent children. I realize IQ is faulty and arbitrary, and saying that a person with an IQ of 122 is more "intelligent" than someone with an IQ of 120 is ridiculous. What isn't ridiculous is saying that a person with an IQ of 100 is clearly more intelligent than someone with an IQ of 80.

If you want to have kids, fine; there are plenty of them up for adoption all over the world. People have to realize that there are things more important than their own personal desires; the maintenance of the human gene pool is one of them.
    I see you've already developed some grudges early on in life. I suggest not being in a position of power. Some don't need power to be corrupted, apparently.

Who's the troll? Is there a definitive list yet?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Who's the troll? Is there a definitive list yet?
    The future is not yet set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

The subject of this thread ties into the human condition called "meaning of life".

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Eugenics is defined as the betterment of the human gene pool through selective breeding.

The fact that genes play a significant role in behavior, intelligence, and illnesses such as cancer and cystic fibrosis is pretty well established. What would be so wrong with sterilizing people with mental retardation or serious inheritable diseases?
    Perch ... seriously, can we entertain the possibility that you are a complete and utter douche? I'm just suggesting this as a well considered explanation for your post.

I'm in favour of identifying and eradicating the troll gene.