First 123412 Last

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    What do you mean, why? Why not? Why is the desire to have a child that's genetically similar to yourself more important than getting rid of horrible inheritable diseases like Huntington's or even behavioral traits like sadism and pyromania, many of which have a genetic component?
    Natural creation = desire.... ?

Sadism and pyromania are not genetic

You are trying to set a criteria on the value of a life. You make the assumption that by wiping out certain genes, things will be better. How can you decide what is better for another? Good, Bad, Better, all relative. Are there good genes you'd be wiping out with the bad? What of that potential? Most people understand one can not decide for another on these things.... WHY would one's view of these things trump anothers?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Remember that time royal people only bred close within their own ranks to keep the gene pool 'clean', but their babies were all insane homocidal maniacs with a slew of health problems?

Or that time that dude with the mustache said that certain genes were clearly superior to all others and tried killing off people with non-desirable traits? I think he started a war over the whole mess that costed a gazillion lives, or so the rumor goes.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

your resident asshole

I'd agree that it's a great idea in theory, but it in practice it would just be ethically wrong and very difficult to do.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Reasons why Eugenics is nonsensical BS:

-Eugenics on a mass scale administered over millions of people would turn into a mess, with thousands objecting against it on moral grounds of all sorts.

No it wouldn't. The only thing that would be even remotely difficult is administering IQ tests to everyone in the country. How does this make eugenics immoral?

And so what if people object? Too bad for them. What if I object to the fact that homosexuals are alive and not stoned as the Bible suggests? There are plenty of stupid fucks in the world, and the only way to deal with them is to ignore them.

-Telling who can and cannot procreate raises a slew of ethical boundaries and problems.

Such as?

-The human gene pool is gigantic and not really worth maintaining perfect over, thus monitering the best gene results in offspring isn't really necessary.

When did I call for perfect control over the gene pool? All I'm saying is that things like intelligence, criminality, and diseases all have a genetic component, and it is in the best interest of society to increase the quality of life future generations of the human race; eugenics is a small component of that. How isn't "monitering" the gene pool in any way beneficial?

-Who's to say that an ex-convict can't properly raise a child?

Me. Did you even read what I wrote? A person who has committed a violent crime is either genetically predisposed to violent behavior, in which case sterilization is an even more obvious solution, or is a victim of poverty and crime, in which case they probably are uneducated and lack a moral compass, in which case they still should be sterilized because it is important for a child to be intellectually curious and ethical. Yes, some convicts may be troubled geniuses, but the vast vast vast majority are not.

-This nonsense that IQ is heriditary is silly; just because a parent has a low IQ does not mean under any circumstance that the child will have a low IQ as well.

Really, it's "silly"? There have been literally hundreds of studies done in the area of IQ heritability and the conclusion is that, while not completely genetic, obviously, intelligence is determined in part (estimates range from 40% to 80%) by genetics.

-From a utilitarian standpoint, enforced eugenics would create mass suffereing for those tyrannized by it, and accomplish nothing in the way of happiness for those who are not affected by it.

What? How does not letting people breed irresponsibly create mass "suffereing" of any kind? What a bunch of nonsense. Again, if you want a child, adopt one; there's plenty of unwanted children out there looking for a home.
    d
    “Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G. K. Chesterton

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Question:

1. Do people who have no problem breaking the law get exterminated as well?

I mean.. like. Ya know. People who do drugs, especially illegally.. they alter their genes when they do that, so they're screwing with the precious system we're basing all of this theoretical geneocide (HAHA See what I did there?) on, and everyone knows smoke inhalation is the worst of all of this..

So can everyone that smokes cigarettes and pot be exterminated as well? Those are the leading gene alterations.. all sorts of cancers have been born specifically because of smoke that previously did not exist, and they also increase their chances of hypertension and all sorts of medical disorders that is then passed on to their kids. People who do drugs are more likely to have their kids do drugs as well, science totally said that. Those pot-smokers are a menace.. and worst of all they try to justify messing with the gene poool. OUR PRECIOUS GENE POOL.

So do they get eliminated??
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP

Not sure if trolling.... Why is this guy always so ambiguous?

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    People have to realize that there are things more important than their own personal desires
    Would retorting this statement with "including you" be trolling? I'm not sure. So I won't do that.

Yeah, the whole "IQ being faulty" and "innocent people who have been charged as violent offenders" things are enough to make me glad that you are not in charge.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Natural creation = desire.... ?

Sadism and pyromania are not genetic

You are trying to set a criteria on the value of a life. You make the assumption that by wiping out certain genes, things will be better. How can you decide what is better for another? Good, Bad, Better, all relative. Are there good genes you'd be wiping out with the bad? What of that potential? Most people understand one can not decide for another on these things.... WHY would one's view of these things trump anothers?
    Maybe sadism and pyromania aren't, but genetics play a huge role in behavior and personality.

How can I decide what is better for another? Common sense. Would you rather have AIDS or not? Of course you wouldn't, and neither would any other sane person. If you do have AIDS, you should not be able to have children. A person without AIDS is usually much happier and is less of a drain on society and their family than someone with AIDS; therefore, knowingly having a child and giving him or her AIDS is extremely unethical and should not be allowed.
    “Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G. K. Chesterton

Is this one of those "greater good" threads?

Oberon

Here's one scenario.