User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Once I get married I'm going to attempt to out breed the lot of you.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

yea once
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

you taking the polyamorous route?

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    yea once
    Men and women should only be having children within marriage. That's marriage as in one man and one woman too.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Even so, I think focusing on therapies for genetics are the way to go instead of trying to prevent things altogether. That's like saying "Lets never drive cars because statistically speaking people are awful drivers!" Eugenics is a bit extreme when it comes to humans... For the most part. It is still an interesting topic, but I think the debate keeps degrading with Perch's emotional outbursts.
    Oh I wasn't suggesting eugenics as a better alternative. Just that it's not as simple as throwing a switch and turning off a single trait. I am in agreement about gene therapy, and my thesis research is actually focused on gene therapy/transplantation and it's relevance to the prevention and possible cure of a specific type of cancer. Gene therapy advocate.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Men and women should only be having children within marriage. That's marriage as in one man and one woman too.
    keeping my fingers crooossed
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Eugenics is already naturally at play via sexual selection, so there's no need for a top-down implementation. How do you think different hominids ended up differentiating? How do you think different humans populations have such different physical features (some of that is explained by natural selection, but it's mostly sexual selection)?
    I think we should let nature take its course, because top-down eugenics is clearly a policy which most people find repugnant (me included), thus not socially optimal,
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Eugenics is BS because it's blinkered.

If all you contribute to humanity is your genes then either start procreating or go curl up somewhere. Certainly don't post on internet forums. Such has nothing to do with genetics and is obviously a waste of time!!

Of course that is BS as well. I don't recall people being given medals for siring brilliant children, they tend to give the medal to the children for being brilliant. Obviously you would have lots more to address than just reversing the prejudice against eugenics.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Eugenics is BS because it's blinkered.

If all you contribute to humanity is your genes then either start procreating or go curl up somewhere. Certainly don't post on internet forums. Such has nothing to do with genetics and is obviously a waste of time!!

Of course that is BS as well. I don't recall people being given medals for siring brilliant children, they tend to give the medal to the children for being brilliant. Obviously you would have lots more to address than just reversing the prejudice against eugenics.
    Your own post is BS?

Well, I like the idea of eugenics because it involves thinking seriously about the past and future and your role in that and contribution, even if its "only" your genes, there's little in the way of anything asking people to perform as more than a consumer meeting their own needs and putting those needs ahead of everything else.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well, I like the idea of eugenics because it involves thinking seriously about the past and future and your role in that and contribution, even if its "only" your genes, there's little in the way of anything asking people to perform as more than a consumer meeting their own needs and putting those needs ahead of everything else.
    I still really don't understand where you are going with this. Could you explain further why someone's biology -- something having nothing to do with merit whatsoever -- is better in some way than merit and conscious choice and hard work? I'm still trying to understand this last sentence of yours, and it seems almost like two different thoughts put together by accident...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft