User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Thread: Bin Laden dead

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

I am displeased with the celebration of death that I've been seeing. Two wrongs don't make a right.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    I am displeased with the celebration of death that I've been seeing. Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Since when is celebrating death wrong?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTx

What do you propose would have been a better alternative in dealing with Bin Laden?

I'm really not following the whole hippie sentiment on this one (I've seen it pop up in several places already) and how they're convinced this is wrong. I can understand in some instances where people oppose certain forms of punishment and justice, but this... I simply can't wrap my head around it.

Do you understand who this guy was?

MBTI
    INTP

Almost 3,000 innocents were killed in the World Trade Center attacks and rescue efforts. I will sleep perfectly tonight knowing one giant, evil asshole is dead. That's not barbarism. It's justice. Let's remember who was innocent here. It's not bin Laden.
    Something Witty

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I hope this actually serves practical and not just symbolic purposes.

Other than that, I'm pretty much with Tallulah.

Quote Originally Posted by Takeru View Post
    There is no such thing as civilized justice.

Civilized people are just as barbaric as... well... barbarians in a different manner.

Putting him in jail for the rest of his life can sound just as barbaric as killing him then and there and also sound just as barbaric as torturing him.
    Barbaric to whom? To him? To our innate sense of humanity?

Imo, the only barbarism to be concerned with in cases like this is denying a victim closure or recompense. In this case, I don't think anyone cares to actually to speak to someone like him or get anything from him, but if they did, I suppose that'd be an injustice to deny them the opportunity. Otherwise, I don't know how it's anyone's responsibility to care that much for someone who doesn't even care about himself. By that I mean, he already drew clear lines between his own goals and a general sense of humanity. He set the course to be that divisive, and no matter what you express, you will not get through to people like this unfortunately. He's not even that honorable by the average murderer's standards, killing random civilizians as a goal in itself (there's plenty of people like him too, so I'm not villifying him as some unique kind of monster or something). I think it's silly to make up for people like this and try to meet him more than halfway, to pick up the slack, and show just how humane you are in comparison, upholding the most wonderful ideals. In all of that idealism, you forget about the kind of body count he's proud to have racked up.

It is ideal to bend over backwards and reach out and champion more than mere "tit for tat" expressions of justice, but it is not just to not recognize an enemy for what he is.. and not make some room for ridding everyone of the problem.

edit: p.s. not really ranting at you specifically.. just ranting

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I hope this actually serves practical and not just symbolic purposes.

Other than that, I'm pretty much with Tallulah.
    Why Tallulah and not me? I said the same thing, essentially. It's cause I'm a sensor, huh?

/paranoia

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I agree with this to a certain extent. I don't see how the argument celebrating this occasion makes us any better or worse morally than the celebrations of the Muslim extremists who celebrated the falling of the World Trade Center and the deaths of innocent Americans. Granted he obviously wasn't some innocent pedestrian, and disregarding the death toll numbers, we're basically reacting in a similar fashion yet the only difference here is the context and circumstances. It just all seems very Code of Hammurabi-esque to me.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    Granted he obviously wasn't some innocent pedestrian
    And this is what makes all the difference between "us" and "them".

How the eff do you equate our celebrating Osama's death and terrorists cheering the death of innocents?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I see your argument and respond: Eh, fuck that guy.

Seriously.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?