User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Thread: Bin Laden dead

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by sciguy90 View Post
    Is it odd that I find it extremely disappointing/uncomfortable that I'm surrounded by people celebrating death?
    I don't think so. Usually whenever I hear about a death, I always make sure to say a little prayer for that person's soul - and this isn't any exception. I still remember the mass given on the first anniversary of 9/11, when the Gospel readings were of when Christ forgave the criminal while on the cross.

MBTI
    ISTx

Is it odd that I find it extremely disappointing/uncomfortable that I'm surrounded by people celebrating death? Also how are we supposed to punish him now that he's dead?
    So you're uncomfortable with people celebrating his death, but disappointed we can't torture him?

To answer your first question, the answer is "justice". People tend to like it. I know I do.

Ginkgo

Too many people are in this thread; we're a hot spot for nuclear purge. Maybe they want us all to gather at a phony corpse to unleash their big guns.

I wonder what he had been doing all of these years. I considered that he already was dead somehow, and that Al-Qaeda didn't want to announce it.

MBTI
    IXXX

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That's an interesting viewpoint.
    But I'm just not sure how true it is.

I'm sitting here trying to imagine how my kids would respond.
    My INTP kid would feel like the whole thing is a tragedy and be angry that people were celebrating yet another chapter of human violence.
    My ESFP kid would be the most likely to celebrate, but it's just as possible he would be more concerned about the injustices happening in his high school and could be fickle on the matter.
    My INFJ daughter would find the body disturbing and leave the room.

When 911 happened, they were 6 and 5, and my daughter was still 3 and in China.
    Now they are 16, 14, and 12.
    And, despite being very aware of 911, they really don't talk about it much... not to avoid it, but they just don't have much to say about it.

So, while the quote is a nice tidy and even poignant excerpt, I'm not sure it's applicable outside literature.

*shrugs* I'm not a parent, and I'm in no position to tell you how to raise your children. I can tell you that they, within their lives, see just as brutal (if not more so) crimes as that man committed. Osama bin Laden has been a bogey man for people all over the world for decades. He will not be the last by a long shot.

I'm sorry but I disagree, I think it is perfectly applicable.
    However, body or not. Let us all take away at least three lessons from this, 1) There are human monsters in the world 2) There are people who honestly believe in justice 3) Any and all of us can easily become either one.

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Why would the USA want to waste money on that?
    Would be better if we could rebuild our own country for once.

Is it odd that I find it extremely disappointing/uncomfortable that I'm surrounded by people celebrating death? Also how are we supposed to punish him now that he's dead?
    Punishment is subjective. Some would be glad he is dead... some would be happy that he was to rot in a small holding cell for the rest of his life. Some would be happy that he was tortured until the end of his life. Blah blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I wonder what he had been doing all of these years. I considered that he already was dead somehow, and that Al-Qaeda didn't want to announce it.
    Considering his deteriorating health, I too wondered if he had died during those years of hiding.

Glad they got the bastard. May paradise and 72 virgins be forever withheld.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

This is certainly my symbolic and psychological than anything.

As far as leadership of terrorist organizations go - They've known for years, obviously, that we were trying to kill him. Anyone in that position would have plans in place in event that he was killed. There are others in leadership positions who can operate without his leadership. Ultimately... as far as the inner working of Al Quaeda go... This is probably not a big deal.

But the symbolism to the people of America, and the psychological impact on terrorist organizations is still an important contribution, I feel.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Sniffles

Given the nature of these kinds of military operations, I have some doubts about how feasible it was to capture him alive or even if that was the original intent but that's just not the way cookie crumbled so to speak.

MBTI
    ISTx