User Tag List

First 142223242526 Last

Thread: Bin Laden dead

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I want to say that I think this picture is probably going to be among the flag on Iwo Jima and Thích Quảng Đức lighting himself on fire.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

I'm so extremely a-political that I only recognize one person in that picture.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    Ha! I like that

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    The only thing I am saying is that I dont see the reason why any doubts should remain in the air. And that is exactly what is going on as far as I can tell. I am not into conspiracies at all but I honestly think that the US army could have done more when it comes to this.
    If nothing this is something about what we will listen for years and there is/was no need for that.
    Half the Muslim world is engaging in an orgy of martyrbating as we speak.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Flight View Post
    This just marks falsehood. Why do people have to simplify it and focus on one man? Politics is not just the president. The very idea of "Politics" rests on the existence of relationships between "people." If something is wrong, why look only at the president? If something is good, why look at only the president? Why just look at Osama bin Ladin? Why do you even look at an "authority"? Why is there even an "authority" in the first place? It was and will never be solely reliant on individuals.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    This just marks falsehood. Why do people have to simplify it and focus on one man? Politics is not just the president. The very idea of "Politics" rests on the existence of relationships between "people." If something is wrong, why look only at the president? If something is good, why look at only the president? Why just look at Osama bin Ladin? Why do you even look at an "authority"? Why is there even an "authority" in the first place? It was and will never be solely reliant on individuals.
    This is like over-analyzing a LOLcat image. It's clearly meant as a joke.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    This is like over-analyzing a LOLcat image. It's clearly meant as a joke.
    It's only funny to those with a particular view. I am addressing that view, not the image.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Xyk View Post
    Yes, he was a mass murderer. Like besides the world trade center, even more people in Pakistan. I'm still disgusted by anyone cheering for the death of anyone. It's not gonna be a popular sentiment, but I am a pretty radical pacifist. I do not believe in justice. This, to me, is just vengeance, which is a cruel and empty feeling. The suffering of this guy did absolutely nothing to bring back any of the people he oversaw killing. It's just more suffering, and suffering should not be cheered for.
    This wasn't for any individual sake; it was for society's sake. For most Americans, this tied up any loose ends associated with 9/11. If anything, this did more to hasten the end of the wars than any other act.

Furthermore, bin Laden was hardly "suffering." He lived in the lap of luxury while thousands of young men killed themselves in his name. Then, he got a bullet in the head. Pretty merciful, really.

Like it or not, vengeance is a very human emotion, and it is important for a whole lot of people. It brings relief, and it is their relief that I am happy for, not his death.

I would have preferred his capture and trial. It would be a short trial, given the amount of video confessions he's already given, but being a human being, he deserves a trial and nonviolent removal from society. Given that it was a manned operation, nonlethal capture should not have been especially hard. We do have plenty of nonlethal modes of incapacitation (tear gas, etc.).
    No such thing as non-violent removal from society. ADX Florence is worse than death, in my opinion. The problem with less-lethal modes of incapacitation is that they tend not to have a targeted effect. Bin Laden could have come peacefully. He instead decided to cower behind his wife. That was his choice.

As far as stopping terrorism, he was little more than a symbol, and is now probably a martyr, which is often more dangerous. Someone else will take his place who will likely be just as brutal. Terrorism isn't stopped at all.
    It never will be - it's a tactic. Much of his value as a martyr is now diminished through the circumstances of his living conditions. Most people will see him not as a great freedom fighter, but as a petty man who sent people to fight and die for him while he basked in comfort. That isn't the martyr's image. There are certainly diehards who will seek to act in revenge, but it's been six years since he's had contact with the public. He's likely not as beloved as many of us fear.

Again, celebration of death is reprehensible. We're supposed to be the good guys, and we should show it.
    We're not the good guys. We're simply who we are. We'll celebrate his death, because the death of so many of our owns now seems less in vain. We'll celebrate because it has taken ten years. We'll celebrate because that celebration is nothing more than catharsis.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    It's funny because Birthers are among those most likely to have wanted to see bin Laden dead. Furthermore, we look at Obama because he was the one with the authority to execute the order. If he doesn't say yes, bin Laden's still alive.

Banned
    MBTI
    istp
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    istj

lol omg