User Tag List

First 122021222324 Last

Thread: Bin Laden dead

My intuition tells me that there will be a TONS of conspiracy theories because of this.

I mean just take a look at what just happened

After 911 there has been almost 10 years of chase , two wars , a number of short campaigns, all expenses combined are probably over a trillion dollars, the entire show has killed a couple of hundred of thousands of civilians, the USA has become quite unpopular .............. and now the president just comes out after 10 years and says "We got him!". While on the other hand there is very little pictures involved and a very fact that they have buried him at sea means that they should had some kind of a corpse. What opens the question why they did not simply capture him if it was truly him?

I am sorry but story is ....... weird.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Indeed
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    This should have happened in 2002. I find the flag waving distateful.
    So we have chopped the head off of the old snake, but after 10 years, the snake has had thousands of babies, all deadly.
    So I see no cause for celebration.
    Brilliant analogy. I feel the same way.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    My intuition tells me that there will be a TONS of conspiracy theories because of this.

After 911 there has been almost 10 years of chase , two wars , a number of short campaigns, all expenses combined are probably over a trillion dollars, the entire show has killed a couple of hundred of thousands of civilians, the USA has become quite unpopular .............. and now the president just comes out after 10 years and says "We got him!". While on the other hand there is very little pictures involved and a very fact that they have buried him at sea means that they should had some kind of a corpse. What opens the question why they did not simply capture him if it was truly him?

Yes, but really, it's a no win, and there's no proof we didn't capture him. If they'd put his head on a spike and broadcast it on all major news stations around the world, people would use that as an opportunity to condemn America as spiteful, disrespectful, etc. A respectful Muslim burial is probably the right thing to do, but in this day and age, and in this climate, no matter what, the armchair quarterbacks, conspiracy theorists and general political wackjobs from all sides are going to have something to say about it. A conspiracy can appear out of thin air these days, and there's no more proof for it than against it.

According to wikipedia, they checked the DNA of the corpse against his sister's to verify. Who knows how much of those remains resembled a human being after the raid?
    Something Witty

I don't need my intuition to tell me something that obvious.

Banned

I would send it out to sea. Why? No shrine for future martyrs. It may be cruel; but it has its added benefits for people mad enough to be persuaded to strap bombs to themselves and their victims.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTp

Yes, he was a mass murderer. Like besides the world trade center, even more people in Pakistan. I'm still disgusted by anyone cheering for the death of anyone. It's not gonna be a popular sentiment, but I am a pretty radical pacifist. I do not believe in justice. This, to me, is just vengeance, which is a cruel and empty feeling. The suffering of this guy did absolutely nothing to bring back any of the people he oversaw killing. It's just more suffering, and suffering should not be cheered for.

I would have preferred his capture and trial. It would be a short trial, given the amount of video confessions he's already given, but being a human being, he deserves a trial and nonviolent removal from society. Given that it was a manned operation, nonlethal capture should not have been especially hard. We do have plenty of nonlethal modes of incapacitation (tear gas, etc.).

As far as stopping terrorism, he was little more than a symbol, and is now probably a martyr, which is often more dangerous. Someone else will take his place who will likely be just as brutal. Terrorism isn't stopped at all.

Again, celebration of death is reprehensible. We're supposed to be the good guys, and we should show it.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I agree

MBTI
    ESFJ

I don't think anyone answered my question about what happens when bodies are thrown out to sea.
    Got to love Yahoo Answers. So if you are interested:

If you killed an average person and dumped the body in a lake, it would sink (assuming that the person did not have excessive fat deposits, which are less dense than water). After a few days of sitting in the water, water penetrates most of the body, equalizing the density, so that the buoyancy is approximately equal to its depth. After rigor mortis begins to cease, all sorts of strange chemical reactions start happening. For instance, all of your cells comtain an organelle called a proteosome. The proteosome is filled with a chemical similar to hydrogen peroxide. When cells die not of their own will (necrosis), the proteosome will eventually rupture, and begin oxidizing anything it touches. Some of the byproducts create gases. As gasses collect and the water washes away the more dense byproducts, the body becomes less and less dense until it can float on water.

In the sea/ocean, saltwater is actually more dense than freshwater, making it easier for things to float on them.

Live bodies most certainly float on water, if they are fat enough. Fat is less dense than water. Fat people actually float quite easily. Ironic.

Muscle is more dense than water, so muscular people sink in water. Of course they can take a large lungful of air to offset the sinking effect, but it sometimes isn't enough. I for one, sink like a stone in water.

If a person has a mix of fat and muscle, it is actually possible to find a buoyancy point, wherein the person "floats" at a certain depth in the water.
    Source(s):
    Two things. I am a genetics/cell development/biology major.

I also was involved in finding two of three drowned bodies at Leech Lake, MN when three fishermen fell overboard and drowned. A huge search/rescue team was dispatched for five days following their disappearances. The teams found nothing, but one week after their disappearances, the bodies surfaced. I was fishing when we saw something strange floating. We drove up to it in the boat, and it turned out to be a dead body. Quite bloated and hideous. We dragged it to shore, where another of the bodies had coincidentally washed up. Another fisherman found the third body in a similar matter. This all happened in about an hour.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Yes, but really, it's a no win, and there's no proof we didn't capture him. If they'd put his head on a spike and broadcast it on all major news stations around the world, people would use that as an opportunity to condemn America as spiteful, disrespectful, etc. A respectful Muslim burial is probably the right thing to do, but in this day and age, and in this climate, no matter what, the armchair quarterbacks, conspiracy theorists and general political wackjobs from all sides are going to have something to say about it. A conspiracy can appear out of thin air these days, and there's no more proof for it than against it.

According to wikipedia, they checked the DNA of the corpse against his sister's to verify. Who knows how much of those remains resembled a human being after the raid?
    It occurred to me that the body may not look like a human anymore. What only opens the question why they did not use weapons that have a lot less firepower if they knew exactly where he is ? (or something that will put everybody in 100 feet radius to sleep, or something....) Especially if it is obvious that they will need a corpse in order to destroy a legend such a Bin Laden. In other words if this scenario was not the case the only alternative is that they were shooting at some buildings simply because someone is in them but it happened that by accident they hit a Jack Pot. (killed bin laden) But even if they did that that means that the corpse could still be identified since they have decided to test DNA. And for some reason I doubt that they do that with every corpse.

Plus they have basically buried him before they have even announced that they have killed him after something like 15 years of chase if we count bombings of embassies .

Also this truly does not help your cause that much since now you truly have a illusive graveless legend on your hands. (take Hitler for example)

I am not insisting that the government story is a lie but this isnt how the saga should have ended in my opinion. There is simply too much questions that are still in the air. Especially since this looks exactly like a scenario where someone wanted a unfinished story in order to continue its policy.