User Tag List

First 6141516171826 Last

Thread: Bin Laden dead

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Hooray is only for efficiency. This was just wasteful.
    do you think it was all used for just finding bin laden?

The king is dead. Long live the king.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    do you think it was all used for just finding bin laden?
    On the whole, since I can't find any alternate rational motivation, I think it was all used for some economic gain. It is a manifestation of the egocentrism of the powerful.

I think Americans should reflect on why the waste.

figsfiggyfigs

I'll wait till I see his beard on display before I celebrate

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

On the whole, since I can't find any alternate rational motivation, I think it was all used for some economic gain. It is a manifestation of the egocentrism of the powerful.

was thinking this already

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

How is it up there on your moral high horse, Father? Has it not occurred to you that many Americans already have a huge problem with the amount of money spent on the "war in Afghanistan"? Has it escaped you how many of our own citizens were outraged by the behavior George W. Bush and the spending that went into the military?

Why is it that you think just because some of us may think it just and perhaps a relief that Bin Laden is dead that we're all a bunch of blood thirsty weirdos bent on vengeance?

Between your moralizing and Stigmata trying to paint this as a religious war between Muslims and Christians, with his ridiculous moral absolutism, I think I'm done with this thread.

Completely rational explanations have been given - I especially note Tallulah, KDude and Jenaphor in doing this, but I'll throw in Ignite, too, just so he doesn't think I'm being prejudiced.

Oh, Jim also gave a good example with the laws against speeding.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    I'll wait till I see his beard on display before I celebrate
    Me and Glenn Beck wanna see his death certificate.
    (And the long form with real signatures, not the short, federally approved digital printout... )

Quote Originally Posted by Frostshade View Post
    Noooooooooo. I'm saying that in case you were under the belief that I was saying that I know whats best for your children.
    Since I wasn't, yet you were thinking along those lines at all, apparently it had the opposite effect from what you intended.
    Sorry.

Btw, Germany was in ruins after WW1. It didn't cause itself.
    I was thinking about Germany last night, ironically, as I sifted through this.

Obviously the Germans had to be stopped in WWII, I don't think anyone but the criminally naive denies this... but one of the main reasons that Hitler rose to power, in my understanding, is that the Allies after WWI rejected Wilson's plan that would bring what he saw as persistent peace and instead insisted on severely punishing Germany, as a form of retaliation. The pendulum always swings back; nature abhors a vacuum. And so the cycle continued. Events are chains of cause and effect; what else is driving the long, long war between Palestine and Israel?

There's many different ways to frame this situation -- one being a practical way ("he's dead, this long-term goal is now accomplished, he won't live to do this again"), another being attitude (what drives us and motivates us as we pursue these goals? Peace? Revenge? etc.) People can agree in one framework and yet disagree in another. Attitudes concern me because they can lead normally good people astray and perpetuate a chain of events.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdude
    And I'm not speaking just from a US perspective. I'm part Asian, and I'm concerned about matters there too, where extreme Islam gets so bad that even a largely Buddhist country like Thailand is pissed off. These people behave like cockroaches.. worse actually. I don't mind roaches that much. This is what their zealotry amounts to randoms.. this woman was simply riding her motorcycle in their neighborhood, and they decided to lynch her and set her on fire. Before you get upset about people being happy that Bin Laden is dead, get upset at this. Look at where their ideology leads to. It's not even the same.
    Can you frame this for us? In terms of the prominence of it? Is this just rare zeal? Backwoods areas? Or is this in your opinion the natural outcome of Islamic faith?

We find rare cases here in the states, and even had a prominent dragging death of a black man in Texas a few years back and accepted oppression/abuse of blacks until the 1950's partly based on what I see as distorted Christian values, but I'm unsure of how prevalent it is nowadays and whether it would happen more if we didn't channel our aggression here into social, political, and economic power.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Me and Glenn Beck wanna see his death certificate.
    (And the long form with real signatures, not the short, federally approved digital printout... ) .
    A bunch of his lackeys are promising to "continue his vision". Now the head is gone, they have to dispose of the body.

Dude, have you seen pictures of all those men? They all look alike. I DEMAND HIS DEATH CERTIFICATE! With a picture of him smiling as well.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Great, he's dead. I'm more curious as to how you bury someone at sea?

Do you tie rocks to his body then drop him or maybe submerge the body in concrete, allow to set then overboard.

I do worry about the consequences though. Someone will want revenge. Why not just keep it quiet then in a few years declare all.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Obviously the Germans had to be stopped in WWII, I don't think anyone but the criminally naive denies this... but one of the main reasons that Hitler rose to power, in my understanding, is that the Allies after WWI rejected Wilson's plan that would bring what he saw as persistent peace and instead insisted on severely punishing Germany, as a form of retaliation.
    After the Treaty of Versailles had been signed (in 1919), Marshal Foch stated: "This is not a peace. It is an armistice for twenty years."