User Tag List

First 5131415161725 Last

Thread: Bin Laden dead

Quote Originally Posted by Virulence View Post
    I did! I'm not disagreeing with your main point at all, which seems to be: He paid for his crimes. This is really good.

But, I don't think it ends there. I really really wish it did, but I don't think it does.
    I doubt it will end either, whether he died or not. Don't think anyone can control what might have or will happen. Something tells me that the Al Qaeda's or any of the larger terrorist organisations won't react right away. If anything, they've been quiet for a long time where it wouldn't surprise me if they've had something planned for the future and won't want to risk their larger plans, just to exact revenge. The 9/11 plans took years upon years to come to fruition.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Virulence View Post
    Thousands of lives aren't trivial at all, but vengeance is a hollow thing. Killing this one man doesn't bring all those people back. Should he have paid for his crimes? Absolutely. But, when do we pay for ours?

How many bodies - innocent lives, just like those thousands this one man claimed - had to be stepped over to get this one? We can't glorify this man's death any more than the extremists he inspired glorified the deaths that they caused. That leads to a vicious cycle of constant retaliation, and where does that end?
    Justice? Vengence? Compassion?

The way to create the rule of law is to have effective pursuit of the rule of law.

The speed limit is merely arbitrary if it is not enforced. This goes for all aspects of law from small scale theft to punishment for mass murder.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    The families and loved ones of the 3000 dead, deserve to have some form of closure.
    What about the families of all the civilian casualties of American actions in the middle east? When do they get 'some form of closure'?

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    What about the families of all the civilian casualties of American actions in the middle east? When do they get 'some form of closure'?
    As in Afghanistan, the nation and its ruling government, the Taliban who openly supported Al Qaeda and vowed protection for them?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Justice? Vengence? Compassion?

The way to create the rule of law is to have effective pursuit of the rule of law.

The speed limit is merely arbitrary if it is not enforced. This goes for all aspects of law from small scale theft to punishment for mass murder.

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

USA just need 1 384 563 768 279 $ to kill him but hooray.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

you can only stay safe for so long

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Yes. It matters A LOT. If someone walks into your place of business or home or whatever, starts randomly shooting or stabbing without any intention to stop and the only recourse is to kill or risk killing them, would you just relax yourself and say "well, I'm not even going to attempt to stop this person from randomly killing me and my loved ones"? Would you, with a straight face, say that a person who does kill that intruder is morally on the same level as Jeffrey Dahmer's rape, torture, killing and cannibalization of totally innocent and random people? If a man had the means to launch enough nukes to destroy the entire world, and the only possible way to stop him was to shoot him dead, that's officially not okay? And that's not moral absolutism, even to different ends, just like Al Qaeda has?

I see the argument for "murder is always wrong", but if every nation but Germany took the view in World War II that we can never fight back because the moral area's too dark, then Germany's global purification of the world, killing off all religiously, physically, racially, sexually, or politically incompatible people on a global scale would have wrought FAAAAAR more pain than the war itself did.

I mean, I'm a heavy, heavy liberal, but you can't honestly be arguing that absolute, unmitigated pacifism is a good idea, can you?
    You understandingly misunderstood me. The first question was suppose to be clarified by the next series of questions. I meant "matter" in the sense that it allows the action to be defined as "positive" rather than "negative."

In varying contexts, war is intertwined with murder. Macro-politics creates a blurred line between war and murder. For example, A murdered B. C and D murders A and F. Murder transforms into war and the only escape is to voluntarily stop promoting the series of "murders"(no enter afghan)...er "wars"..or you know.. nukes.

Btw, Germany was in ruins after WW1. It didn't cause itself.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

This is so strange. Now that he's dead, everybody says "Thank God, it was about time" and they start partying, but when my nemesis's mother died and I celebrated it, I was suddenly being immoral. WTF?
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    USA just need 1 384 563 768 279 $ to kill him but hooray.
    Hooray is only for efficiency. This was just wasteful.