User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Thread: Bin Laden dead

Banned

It is both important that justice is done and seen to be done.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Ironic. "Terrorism", whatever that means, will spur more because of Osama's death. Obama sits in the chair once more. More military occupation. More "accidents." More retaliations. Sigh, and who knows? Maybe even a World War 3.

Who cares if one person is dead. It was never about one person in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Stigmata View Post
    I just don't see either what we've gained from this or what this changes. Have we regained our pre-9/11 sense of security as a nation now that he's dead? Temporarily perhaps, but not necessarily. The threat of terrorism is still very much a realistic possibility. Have we regained any of our "freedoms" we lost as a result of this decade long war on terror? Nope. Will we? Probably not. Is the war even over globally? Not really.

Now that we've finally extracted our revenge, all the while running our economy in the ground to do so, what happens now? Do the victims of 9/11 return? Unfortunately no.
    We haven't gained anything of actual substance, other than instilling another fleeting sense of national pride and accomplishment.
    For a second there, I thought you were being hippy-ish, but now it just sounds like you're apathetic and cynical.

Some of this is worth bringing up, for sure. All I can think of, at best, is that this as a symbolic accomplishment. Like some people are stating here.

Possibly more symbolic if you couple it with the general upheaval happening in the Middle East atm.. There are "symbolic" messages being sent throughout the region that both the extremist terrorist sides as well as the secular/dictatorial elements are being thrown out the window.. and some elements of the Western worldview is replacing them.

I wouldn't take that too far, but that's what the message is at least. Is it better? Of course it is. I don't think everyone is equally right. The West isn't just different. It's better. Not great either. Just better. Perhaps one day they'll all be sitting on their fat asses munching on hot dogs and watching reruns of Friends --- and the world will be better off for it. Seriously.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by sciguy90 View Post
    What my point it, and what bothers me, is that people are more concerned with getting revenge rather than (civilized) justice.
    Yeah. The popularity of hostility looks worrying.

The message is clear. It's a signal to other terrorists to not get too comfy because they're not forgotten. It's just a matter of time.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Ironic. "Terrorism", whatever that means, will spur more because of Osama's death. Obama sits in the chair once more. More military occupation. More "accidents." More retaliations. Sigh, and who knows? Maybe even a World War 3.

Who cares if one person is dead. It was never about one person in the first place.
    The natural cycle that is life.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    You know, I don't like looking at it from that perspective though, because this life is simply not that "objective". The two sides, "us and them", are simply not on an even plane (ethically speaking).
    Perhaps. Both sides exercise the full extent of their power to push forth their ideals and agenda, with both sides also believing they're doing so on the path of the righteous.

Many people think he's now at his final resting place in a fiery inferno. So for that camp, I can understand their happiness.
    Shouldn't that create some sort of conflict with their religious ideals? Given that in nature this is primarily a religious war between Islamic extremists and Western Religions (Primarily Christianity), don't the teachings lead more toward promoting forgiveness as opposed to seeking retribution?

But really, it doesn't change much. It's simply justice like any other. He did bad, he ran, he was caught.
    I can agree with that. Sure bad would be an appropriate label, yet I guess my question is couldn't the key figures on our side be equally viewed as bad to the opposite perspective? Who's on the correct side of the objective(implying there is such a thing) moral pendulum?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Whatever terrorism means? I'll help you. Terrorism is random acts of violence committed to inspire fear by targeting civilians (rather than military troops or political leaders) to further ideological goals, which are committed by people not affiliated with a particular government.

MBTI
    INFJ

Like most acts of vengeance, at the end of the day, it seems very hollow. Certainly, he was a murderer and more a figurehead than anything, but I can't celebrate death. There are a minority, I'm sure, that saw him as a hero; someone who was fighting against a great oppressor, and his death will make him a martyr and maybe that much more of an inspiration to some. They will seek vengeance for his death and strike out however they can, which will lead to further retaliation, on and on and on...

Where is the line drawn? When can we rise above this cycle of death and violence and gain a better day for everyone?
    I believe in make believe.

Yeah. The popularity of hostility looks worrying.
    Are you referring to here specifically? I don't see that much bloodlust here. I'm sure there's a fair share of it elsewhere though.

If you mean here, then I think your dramaticism is worrying. Expressing some satisfication that Osama Bin Laden is in the past is not popularity of hostility. It'd be different if we were talking about baby Jessica.