User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    You're completely missing my point. There's no such thing as universal ethics. Ethics are all subjective.
    How does that affect anything? My original point is that constitutional law in a country has NO BEARING on the ethical question of speech codes. Now, I will ask you directly: do you support censorship and speech codes? If so, defend your position.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The article was a bit scattered in its timeline about who did and said what, when. In other words, who fired the first shot across the bow and how did it escalate from there.
    Yes, I'm having trouble telling what actually happened, since both sides disagree. And comedy shows are even more volatile, since people's sense of humors differ. I've also met thick-skinned LGBT people who can laugh at just about anything, and I've met some very thin-skinned LGBT people who take everything as a personal offense. So... difficult to say without more information.

Another point: I wonder why she waited two entire years to file the complaint.
    The event in question happened three years ago, and the suit was filed last year.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    How does that affect anything? My original point is that constitutional law in a country has NO BEARING on the ethical question of speech codes. Now, I will ask you directly: do you support censorship and speech codes? If so, defend your position.
    I draw the line at hate speeches and literature, where it encompasses sexual preferences, gender, creed or race. That's why it's important to me to read the transcripts prior to passing judgment.

And yes, this is my ethical judgment of non-judgment until I know the facts of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, I'm having trouble telling what actually happened, since both sides disagree. And comedy shows are even more volatile, since people's sense of humors differ. I've also met thick-skinned LGBT people who can laugh at just about anything, and I've met some very thin-skinned LGBT people who take everything as a personal offense. So... difficult to say without more information.

Another point: I wonder why she waited two entire years to file the complaint.
    The event in question happened three years ago, and the suit was filed last year.
    Yes, I noticed the time delay too and wondered. This case is odd.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I draw the line at hate speeches and literature, where it encompasses sexual preferences, gender, creed or race. That's why it's important to me to read the transcripts prior to passing judgment.
    So you do support speech codes and censorship. I find that horrible, but I can see why you wouldn't find an ethical issue here. Just for my edification, why do you only include sexual preference, gender, creed, and race?

And yes, this is my ethical judgment of non-judgment until I know the facts of the case.
    That's fine. Sadly, ethics are immaterial to the facts of the case. Hopefully, the judge and/or jury involved will consider the ethical side of things assuming an appeal.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTj

The ruling was by the human rights tribunal. I think they overstep their authority. I doubt that it will stand up in court.

This is a frightening precedent, regardless of the specific circumstances. The delay before the suit and the chilling effect on live performance both rub me the wrong way. Lots of things on the border of offensiveness can be funny if approached with skill. I don't believe this guy should be sued for being a bad comedian.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

I find this post offensive.

MBTI
    INTP

The difference between 'hate' and 'truth' is subjective, and 'hate speech' laws invite (and practically speaking, garuantee) unequal application of the law in accordance to political power and majority opinion, making it a convenient tool of polical and social persecution and intimidation (hence the 'chilling' effect on free and open debate). This is why consequentalist proponents of free speech treat the issue AS IF its a violation of an inherent and universal right, and that's why the transcripts and characteristics of the parties involved make no difference to me.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

You're completely missing my point. There's no such thing as universal ethics. Ethics are all subjective.
    Nonsense.
    “Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G. K. Chesterton