User Tag List

First 21011121314 Last

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Guess you could use the ol' "my husband isn't a vacuous waste of resources on a country already in a dangerous financial situation ordained by nothing but accident of birth and instead actually helps people stay alive and earned his title via hard work, and my wedding didn't cost the nation tens to hundreds of millions" card.
    Quote Originally Posted by YWIR
    No kidding, I agree. I think its bs they paid from tx peoples money. Earn it, and spend it as you like. Other wise, stfu and go to city hall if you have to.
    The british tax payer earns 160MM of profit from the royal family; in effect every monarch agrees to voluntarily hand over their estate to parliament (worth 200MM) and then parliament gives them an allowance back on their owned land (40MM). This doesn't include whatever proportion of tourism is stipulated by the presence of the monarchy; never mind the charity work the royals do.

I'm absurd, because I am both pro-scottish independence and pro-monarchy. Can't beat the statistics.

I have to love the fallacy mainly foreigners hold regarding the true profit the monarch earns the UK.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw&feature=player_embedded"]The True Cost of the Royal Family Explained[/YOUTUBE]

It should be noted that the latest take on 'direct Monarchy tourism earnings' was 500MM from using 'monarch based facilities/activities'.

FigerPuppet

You also have to look at it from other angles than just a financial one. I'm not British, but we have a constitutional monarchy here in Denmark as well. The monarchy is the constant symbol of the kingdom that the majority of citizens can gather around - no matter what corner of the kingdom they come from. It is a reminder of the values that we cherish; a cultural reference point that is especially important in a society that is becoming increasingly multicultural.

Every royal family is different, of course, and this affects the public's sentiment towards them. For example, I think the Danish royal family is less rigid compared to the English. This makes them easier for the public to empathise with. The following is from 2004 when our crown prince was married. Now compare that to what you saw yesterday.
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0jIU8Q7FW4"]Wedding[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

That "profit" is dwarfed in comparison to how much other tax money makes, and they don't provide any tax relief in comparison to countries without a monarchy.

Let alone the fallacy of assuming the royal family brings in X amount of tourists, and the absence of the many inefficiencies the royals cause.

That said, they are mascots, and mascots can rally morale and increase merchandise sales.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    This makes them easier for the public to empathise with. The following is from 2004 when our crown prince was married @ 2:06. Now compare that to what you saw yesterday.
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6N1qSsYCKE"]Wedding[/YOUTUBE]
    @3.40, nice kilt.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Ok, so I did watch the wedding. It wasn't terrible.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Seriously, what's up with that red suit? Weddings are girly, so they are all about the BRIDE. It's inappropriate for the groom to steal the show.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I liked the cars. Rolls Royce. Bentley. Jaguar.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

i loved the aston martin. so hot.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

What on earth is that thing on her head.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...69857129733984

Tri-type 639