Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Originally posted by Viridian
    Isn't that considered manslaughter, rather than murder? Other than self-defense or defense of others, there's no mens rea...
    Well if the aggresor starts the fight, then you end up killing the guy in the process of self defense, I think it may count as manslughter, albiet justified. Otherwise, manslughter is simply when you unintentionally kill someone as opposed to directly kill them (murder).

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    If someone is a burden on society, they should be killed. It's not me making subjective decisions here; it's pretty clear who is a burden and who isn't.
    Are you going to argue for or against killing the mentally or physically impaired/ ill here? The former calls into question your humanity, and the latter injects a curious level of subjectivity into your 'objective' principle.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I think instead of quibbling over specific instances of when it might or might not be okay to sentence someone to death, isn't the bigger issue whether or not the state should be given such authority?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by The_World_As_Will View Post
    You are making really bad logical leaps in judgement, Take for example the serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer, he felt regret for what he did, in fact, after his first murder, he didn't murder for 8 years, are you saying he couldn't be molded back? clearly he tried to. So your premise isn't valid there, of course they can be molded back, and for those who kill due to pathology it can be reduced, will they ever be healed completely? we don't know, but confining them into a place or just executing them prematurely doesn't do anything, It seems you just don't like certain behaviours and have a childish way of dealing with these things. So people do things that you don't like... you have to deal with that. People are different.
    I'm not saying I disagree with you, but let me play the devil's advocate a bit and clarify something... You can't change someone who doesn't want to. In order for criminals to change, they have to actually put forth an effort. Many do not and it is simply useless in trying to rehabilitate them. The problem lies in trying to decide which criminals we want to attempt to help and which we should simply give up on.

As for the OP... death for DUI's, people who are a burden to society, etc? You need to seriously re-evaluate your way of thinking. I'm not even going to try to argue with you, as you seem too stubborn to want to change your stance on the matter. However, I suggest you sit down one day and take a good long look at yourself and the rest of the world.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Are you going to argue for or against killing the mentally or physically impaired/ ill here? The former calls into question your humanity, and the latter injects a curious level of subjectivity into your 'objective' principle.
    I think they should be sterilized, but not killed. Their family should support them. If for any reason the family is unable to, then I see no problem with killing them if they are unable to support themselves. This is far more humane than robbing contributing people who are already suffering to pay for the life of someone who will more than likely never contribute anything of worth.
    “Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G. K. Chesterton

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Ultimate revenge for wronging humans in a way that makes them all, unanimously want to kill you. We do have to honor democracy, mind you. This is why we have juries and legislators.
    It's not about revenge, it's a matter of utility.
    “Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G. K. Chesterton

ThatGirl

I wouldn't flinch if every last child molester was put to death.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I think instead of quibbling over specific instances of when it might or might not be okay to sentence someone to death, isn't the bigger issue whether or not the state should be given such authority?
    took the words right out of my mouth
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    I think they should be sterilized, but not killed. Their family should support them. If for any reason the family is unable to, then I see no problem with killing them if they are unable to support themselves. This is far more humane than robbing contributing people who are already suffering to pay for the life of someone who will more than likely never contribute anything of worth.
    What about all the mass murderers and serial killers who produce beautiful works of art on death row? Surely these contributions are just as valid as something an actual invalid/comatose/vegetated/mentally incapacitated individual could bring to society?

And for that matter, what have you contributed lately that you feel validates your existence within the community? Remember, if you can't think of anything, your life may be forfeit. This is serious.

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I wouldn't flinch if every last child molester was put to death.
    I would smile and probably laugh if every child molester was put to death
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire