First 3456715 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Errr....um....I think the death penalty is good to use in extreme cases of sociopaths who will really never be healed, never feel guilty, and never see other people as anything other than objects to be murdered.

But that's precious few people who are actually like that, we're talking about Ted Bundy here, not some ignorant bitches at McDonald's who should probably be dealt with in some more rational manner in an attempt to rehabilitate them or educate them.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

"What's wrong with the death penalty?"

Ummmm, the death part.

So, somebody did something that is bad, so the way to alleviate the problem is to do something horrible back to them?

Three rights make a left, but two wrongs don't make right.

There's way better ways to solve the problem than killing anyone who hurts someone else, especially with very common/not so tricky crimes like assault. Like how about trying education/rehabilitation rather than saying "nuh uh it can't work"?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Sometimes rehabilitation really doesn't work in certain extreme cases. It's only rational to remove these people from society. Some of them will just keep killing in prison, etc.

I honestly think it's irrational to think EVERYONE can be rehabilitated, yet I also think in the United States our government doesn't try hard enough to rehabilitate people with more minor offenses, especially stuff like drug addiction, prostitution, petty thievery, et al which is usually something that could be dealt with in counseling and giving them some sense of stability in their lives, maybe even medication or job training.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    "What's wrong with the death penalty?"

Ummmm, the death part.

So, somebody did something that is bad, so the way to alleviate the problem is to do something horrible back to them?

Three rights make a left, but two wrongs don't make right.

There's way better ways to solve the problem than killing anyone who hurts someone else, especially with very common/not so tricky crimes like assault. Like how about trying education/rehabilitation rather than saying "nuh uh it can't work"?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Yes, in most cases.

Any crime that shows a person to be a degenerate and a burden on the species should warrant the death penalty. I think if you get arrested for DUI twice, you should be killed; why should you, someone who is clearly a danger to people around you, be allowed to exist?
    Well, I can see you have very clear ideas about how to solve the overpopulation problem. They might enjoy your thinking in China.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

What is the utility of the death penalty?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    I would be for the death penality except, if you get it wrong.....yeah
    that doesn't mean I'm opposed to killing people at all.
    - if I stumbled upon a pedophile raping a 10 year old girl, I would kill him
    - if someone broke into my house, I would kill him
    - if a gang of thugz tried to mug me, I would kill them all if I could do so without legal repracutions
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Idealist View Post
    Agreed. Actually, legally speaking, I think it's within your rights to murder people for all these reasons, or at the very least, these are murders that a judge would probably deem permissable.
    Isn't that considered manslaughter, rather than murder? Other than self-defense or defense of others, there's no mens rea...

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Suppose we were not dealing with a person. Suppose it was a mindless robot which malfunctions and kills. We would do a simple cost vs benefit analysis to decide if we ought to scrap it.

So the question is whether it is reasonable to apply such an approach to humans. In cases involving extreme violence and cruelty, I think it is. It's just not worth the trouble to keep these dangerous liabilities around.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Yes, in most cases.

Any crime that shows a person to be a degenerate and a burden on the species should warrant the death penalty. I think if you get arrested for DUI twice, you should be killed; why should you, someone who is clearly a danger to people around you, be allowed to exist?
    Because the person with a DUI may not necessarily be much of a danger to others outside the context of driving. Maybe the person has a drinking problem and is otherwise a good person who has potential to be of use to society. Take away the person's driving license, send the person to rehabilitation instead.

Quote Originally Posted by The_World_As_Will View Post
    "It is impossible to rehabilitate most criminals" what? , most crimes are drug-related, and those in the cases of murders are usually due to a psychological or emotional issue, very few are pathological, but even those pathological individulas who kill deserve a chance at rehabilitation, your premise isn't valid, and purely a subjective judgement on your part. You are being short-sighted because you are annoyed at actions you don't like.
    Yes.

I'm opposed to the death penalty for a couple of reasons. First, is what the World as Will already stated. Just because someone did something pathological once doesn't necessarily always make them permanently pathological.

Second, how can you ever be absolutely 100% sure without a doubt that the person convicted is in fact guilty? Once you've given the person the death penalty, there's no way to reverse it.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Ultimate revenge for wronging humans in a way that makes them all, unanimously want to kill you. We do have to honor democracy, mind you. This is why we have juries and legislators.