User Tag List

First 614151617 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    To be honest the people who discount revenge or vengence so easily cant possibly have experienced much in the way of crime themselves, wanting satisfaction and security are pretty basic human needs.
    The rebalancing of the whole legal system in which the needs of the criminals to be provided with a caring environment in which they might possibly develop to a point at which they will abandon criminality I think has taken no account of the needs of the lawful and peaceful, it is they that really matter and are productive and good people.

Exactly what type of environment would you suggest for criminals - daily torture?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

The death penalty is more humane than keeping someone locked up and alive until they naturally die.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I heard the death penalty costs more money to tax payers than keeping them in jail all their life, and with all these new DNA evidence finding out that people have been wrongly convicted, I think that I am against it for now.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Exactly what type of environment would you suggest for criminals - daily torture?
    That would be a bit extreme dont you think Jag, has it been proven to reduce reoffending or why do you say that? Even if it did wouldnt it be too corrupting for those administering such a system?
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Survive & Stay Free View Post
    That would be a bit extreme dont you think Jag, has it been proven to reduce reoffending or why do you say that? Even if it did wouldnt it be too corrupting for those administering such a system?
    Actually, my comment was tongue-in-cheek. I am flatly against torture, but your post had an odd message to those who may have been a victim of a crime, as if to say revenge or vengeance would/should somehow be normative.

Actually, my comment was tongue-in-cheek. I am flatly against torture, but your post had an odd message to those who may have been a victim of a crime, as if to say revenge or vengeance would/should somehow be normative.
    I think this thread is old and it dates from around about a time when a TV show about some governor in the US who was putting his prisoners in tents to save money aired, it was thought provoking because he said the savings he made on spending in the prison meant there was more money for education and other public spending priorities.
    It is a luxury to be understood - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire

A kind thought is the hope of the world - Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    The death penalty is more humane than keeping someone locked up and alive until they naturally die.
    Surely you're aware of the increased number of botched executions over the years?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Surely you're aware of the increased number of botched executions over the years?
    I am. It is largely an arms race. The unfortunate thing is they will never fully stop chemical execution because chemically there are so many changes you can make to the drug of choice and slip past regulations. I don't know how to stop that unless you completely outlaw the death penalty, or permit it and properly regulate it.

In a perfect world no one should be sentanced to death, but everyone should have the right to die painlessly if they want.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I've never been a death penalty supporter but I have a bigger issue with the correctional and judicial systems as a whole. If a person is incarcerated and treated like an animal, then released back into society, is anyone really shocked when they take out retribution for it on society at large? Maybe we should start there and work our way up but there is too many overworked public defenders, careless prosecutors and judges and mistakes are made all the time. Forensic evidence is hardly foolproof, especially when it's collected and handled wrong. That should be enough to change any mind on capital punishment.

I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Jaguar liked this post

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    471 sp/sx

The death part.
    dead·pan
    /ˈded,pan/
    adjective: deliberately impassive or expressionless.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯