User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Why? Murderers didn't "choose" to be murderers. The world made them as such. People don't have free will; we live in a deterministic and linear universe.
    In lieu of an intelligent argument, let me interject with a great big

WHAT????

Well, I guess we can't do anything about those birth defects or disabilities then. What's your point?
    Extermination or sterilisation would be ineffectual.

Do you really think that free will is illusionary, surely if that is the case you'd not be infavour of any consequences since there arent any choices?

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

I'm in favor of protecting the general population from people who are dangerous. I don't think "punishment" is a valid concept.
    “Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G. K. Chesterton

MBTI
    FREE

I'm not in favor of your proposal to put to death those who commit assault or are otherwise deemed by you to be a "drain" on society. While I agree that people like that aren't a positive force at work in our society, I have an innate sympathy for them. You and I have been lucky enough to be blessed with genetics and upbringings which instill in us more self control, or perhaps simply less desire to commit what society deems "criminal" acts. This isn't an argument about the logic of putting someone to death, since any logical argument will ultimately be taken from a standpoint which devalues the individual, in favor of some objectively defined set of criteria (e.g. quantity of crimes, monetary benefit, etc.). This is simply a statement of my preference, given what I value in the world. A wonderful aspect of our cultural evolution is that it has bred tolerance and understanding, which to me are a luxury and indicative of a knowledgeable and wealthy nation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I'm not in favor of your proposal to put to death those who commit assault or are otherwise deemed by you to be a "drain" on society. While I agree that people like that aren't a positive force at work in our society, I have an innate sympathy for them. You and I have been lucky enough to be blessed with genetics and upbringings which instill in us more self control, or perhaps simply less desire to commit what society deems "criminal" acts. This isn't an argument about the logic of putting someone to death, since any logical argument will ultimately be taken from a standpoint which devalues the individual, in favor of some objectively defined set of criteria (e.g. quantity of crimes, monetary benefit, etc.). This is simply a statement of my preference, given what I value in the world. A wonderful aspect of our cultural evolution is that it has bred tolerance and understanding, which to me are a luxury and indicative of a knowledgeable and wealthy nation.
    yes and if we go by what perch wants, I'd been sterelized by my 3rd birthday. that's why the sterilizing of the mentally ill pisses me off. Yes arguably I should have been put to death, but not for that. but for reasons no one could have known at the time. I don't plan on reproducing and it's not because I'm fucked up we're all fucked up in our own way so does that mean all of us should be sterelized , but rather I have no desire to raise a family. Because they thought I was retarded 2 years later they realized I was of above average intelligence so yeah when a child is that young like under 5 you can't always know.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Who cares if it pisses you off? IS not pissing you off more important than allowing a child to be born with a high predisposition towards mental illness?

MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1

Sterilization should happen at adolescence, when it is clear who is mentally retarded and who isn't.

MBTI
    yupp

Who cares if it pisses you off? IS not pissing you off more important than allowing a child to be born with a high predisposition towards mental illness?
    dude, you really don't get it
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

I'm in favor of protecting the general population from people who are dangerous. I don't think "punishment" is a valid concept.
    Ha! A rational calculator indeed!

I prefer to champion something like punishment without any excuses, quaff your drink and break the cup!!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I'm curious as to what the difference is between murderers and murderers of innocent people?
    The context.

For instance, there was this guy who owned some other guy money, a lot of money, and he got drunk and actually started a fight with the guy who gave him the money. He didn't want to give him back anything, so his brother got murdered. They were all criminals or something...

I don't know...this just seems different, since he started the whole thing...and he knew it would get ugly, and they were all involved.

See the thing is, even though it's still murder, it's not exactly the same as a kid getting randomly killed.

or whatever

Someone who didn't DO anything to get murdered for it.

Or self defense murder.

I don't know...I know very little about the law or how these things are judged by the system. I guess murdering is equally bad no matter who gets killed, the value of life shouldn't be quantified.