User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Results 131 to 140 of 161

  1. #131
    your resident asshole
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,403

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Why? Murderers didn't "choose" to be murderers. The world made them as such. People don't have free will; we live in a deterministic and linear universe.
    In lieu of an intelligent argument, let me interject with a great big

    WHAT????

  2. #132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Well, I guess we can't do anything about those birth defects or disabilities then. What's your point?
    Extermination or sterilisation would be ineffectual.

    Do you really think that free will is illusionary, surely if that is the case you'd not be infavour of any consequences since there arent any choices?

  3. #133
    Senior Member Perch420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1
    Posts
    381

    Default

    I'm in favor of protecting the general population from people who are dangerous. I don't think "punishment" is a valid concept.
    “Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G. K. Chesterton

  4. #134
    null Jonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    FREE
    Posts
    2,484

    Default

    I'm not in favor of your proposal to put to death those who commit assault or are otherwise deemed by you to be a "drain" on society. While I agree that people like that aren't a positive force at work in our society, I have an innate sympathy for them. You and I have been lucky enough to be blessed with genetics and upbringings which instill in us more self control, or perhaps simply less desire to commit what society deems "criminal" acts. This isn't an argument about the logic of putting someone to death, since any logical argument will ultimately be taken from a standpoint which devalues the individual, in favor of some objectively defined set of criteria (e.g. quantity of crimes, monetary benefit, etc.). This is simply a statement of my preference, given what I value in the world. A wonderful aspect of our cultural evolution is that it has bred tolerance and understanding, which to me are a luxury and indicative of a knowledgeable and wealthy nation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #135
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I'm not in favor of your proposal to put to death those who commit assault or are otherwise deemed by you to be a "drain" on society. While I agree that people like that aren't a positive force at work in our society, I have an innate sympathy for them. You and I have been lucky enough to be blessed with genetics and upbringings which instill in us more self control, or perhaps simply less desire to commit what society deems "criminal" acts. This isn't an argument about the logic of putting someone to death, since any logical argument will ultimately be taken from a standpoint which devalues the individual, in favor of some objectively defined set of criteria (e.g. quantity of crimes, monetary benefit, etc.). This is simply a statement of my preference, given what I value in the world. A wonderful aspect of our cultural evolution is that it has bred tolerance and understanding, which to me are a luxury and indicative of a knowledgeable and wealthy nation.
    yes and if we go by what perch wants, I'd been sterelized by my 3rd birthday. that's why the sterilizing of the mentally ill pisses me off. Yes arguably I should have been put to death, but not for that. but for reasons no one could have known at the time. I don't plan on reproducing and it's not because I'm fucked up we're all fucked up in our own way so does that mean all of us should be sterelized , but rather I have no desire to raise a family. Because they thought I was retarded 2 years later they realized I was of above average intelligence so yeah when a child is that young like under 5 you can't always know.
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  6. #136
    Senior Member Perch420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Who cares if it pisses you off? IS not pissing you off more important than allowing a child to be born with a high predisposition towards mental illness?
    “Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G. K. Chesterton

  7. #137
    Senior Member Perch420's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    NiTi
    Enneagram
    5w1
    Posts
    381

    Default

    Sterilization should happen at adolescence, when it is clear who is mentally retarded and who isn't.
    “Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.” - G. K. Chesterton

  8. #138
    Senior Member prplchknz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    yupp
    Posts
    29,771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    Who cares if it pisses you off? IS not pissing you off more important than allowing a child to be born with a high predisposition towards mental illness?
    dude, you really don't get it
    In no likes experiment.

    that is all

    i dunno what else to say so

  9. #139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    I'm in favor of protecting the general population from people who are dangerous. I don't think "punishment" is a valid concept.
    Ha! A rational calculator indeed!

    I prefer to champion something like punishment without any excuses, quaff your drink and break the cup!!

  10. #140
    Senior Member guesswho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    1,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I'm curious as to what the difference is between murderers and murderers of innocent people?
    The context.

    For instance, there was this guy who owned some other guy money, a lot of money, and he got drunk and actually started a fight with the guy who gave him the money. He didn't want to give him back anything, so his brother got murdered. They were all criminals or something...

    I don't know...this just seems different, since he started the whole thing...and he knew it would get ugly, and they were all involved.

    See the thing is, even though it's still murder, it's not exactly the same as a kid getting randomly killed.

    or whatever

    Someone who didn't DO anything to get murdered for it.

    Or self defense murder.

    I don't know...I know very little about the law or how these things are judged by the system. I guess murdering is equally bad no matter who gets killed, the value of life shouldn't be quantified.

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] What's wrong with the ENFP?
    By Waffle in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 12:43 AM
  2. Sociology - What is wrong with the profession of sociology?
    By cutie_me01 in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 12:18 PM
  3. What's wrong with a little deflation?
    By ygolo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
  4. What is Wrong with Economy
    By wildcat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 09:15 AM
  5. [MBTItm] What's wrong with being an xNTJ, anyway?
    By Enyo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO