User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 161

  1. #91
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    How about executing people who wear ugly hats?
    We have stopped executing criminals here, even those who wear ugly hats. And we find we are comfortable with it. So much so we won't send a criminal to a jurisdiction like the USA that does still execute.

    I am very interested to know why we feel so comfortable with the abolition of the death penalty. I mean we feel comfortable with the abolition of institutional slavery, and we feel comfortable with the emancipation of women, and we are just starting to feel comfortable with the convictions of child rapists. So why are we comfortable with the abolition of capital punishment.

    I think first of all we feel we have done the right thing. And then we know the murder rate has not gone up, rather it has declined. But perhaps at a deeper level we were uncomfortable with blood sacrifice to a vengeful God.

    We now know that God doesn't control the weather, and God did not create the species, so we are starting to suspect that God is not placated by blood sacrifice.

    Where this leaves christianity, as Christ himself was a blood sacrifice to a vengeful God, we don't know. Perhaps we are starting to wake up from the nightmare of blood sacrifice, of sacrificial love.

  2. #92
    Senior Member Meek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    Infp
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    You've had a feeling close to hateful for the 19 year old who raped your three year old sister? I'd be way past hate and close to murderous.
    She's 28 now. I really wouldn't ever murder anyone. I don't have the hate in me.

  3. #93
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    I do not understand people. If you consider the big deal about the death penalty on a global scale, the finger pointing about countries that still use the death penalty as being non-humanitarian, whereby people are starving to death on the streets by the bucketload in every single country on a daily basis, where the fuck are your priorities?
    You cant ignore one type of injustice just because there is a bigger injustice. That is exactly the sort of value thinking that would legitimize the death penalty aswell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    The 2 biggest religions advocate "an eye for an eye" type justice.
    That's why I said that I dont like religion.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  4. #94
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    You cant ignore one type of injustice just because there is a bigger injustice. That is exactly the sort of value thinking that would legitimize the death penalty aswell.
    It could legitimize anything as long as we focus on THE problem (whatever it may be), which trumps all other concerns. Luckily, we don't have to ration reason or morality. We can have as much or as little as we want. And again, it's one thing to identify a problem, but it's so much more difficult to find the perfect solution. Deliberately killing people is probably wrong, but finding something that we can all agree on for the worst offenders in society is hard. And we've exhausted a lot of options. Simple tricks like lobotomy or lynching just unnerve modern society, so we have to look elsewhere.

  5. #95
    Senior Member Fan.of.Devin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Vengeance is a primitive, savage, and stupid (albeit, very human) desire that has no place in the justice system of any civilized society... Killing people when it's not absolutely needed isn't good and doesn't solve problems.

    I have genuinely never seen a convincing case for capital punishment, ethically or economically.
    If you are in favor of it to spite offenders, you have issues, quite frankly.
    If you are in favor of it because you think it's practical, I think that you're misguided, and excluding that, I would like to suggest that the ends still don't justify the means.

    The only ethically defensible time to kill a person is if/when they pose an immediate and serious threat to another's life and limb; failing that, they belong behind bars, in rehabilitation, or both.
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

  6. #96
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    I hope you realize that the argument you made right now was partially rational, but mostly ethical.

    It is perfectly practical to do away with certain individuals, and I say that with no feelings of vengeance at all. Some people absolutely cannot be rehabilitated.

    I mean, the world is overpopulated anyway. To say that doing away with some extremely, exceptionally dangerous people who will never be rehabilitated is not practical seems like an ethical rather than rational assertion on your part.

  7. #97
    Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    9,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fan.of.Devin View Post
    Vengeance is a primitive, savage, and stupid (albeit, very human) desire that has no place in the justice system of any civilized society... Killing people when it's not absolutely needed isn't good and doesn't solve problems.

    I have genuinely never seen a convincing case for capital punishment, ethically or economically.
    If you are in favor of it to spite offenders, you have issues, quite frankly.
    If you are in favor of it because you think it's practical, I think that you're misguided, and excluding that, I would like to suggest that the ends still don't justify the means.

    The only ethically defensible time to kill a person is if/when they pose an immediate and serious threat to another's life and limb; failing that, they belong behind bars, in rehabilitation, or both.
    while I don't support the death penalty on grounds of not wanting the State to have that kind of power, I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that this is entirely the most convincing point of death penalty supporters. serial killers, rapists and violent criminals are usually repeat offenders and killing them would likely collectively save the lifes of thousands of people a year. it's possible that the death penalty may even save more people than it kills
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

  8. #98
    Senior Member Fan.of.Devin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I hope you realize that the argument you made right now was partially rational, but mostly ethical.

    It is perfectly practical to do away with certain individuals, and I say that with no feelings of vengeance at all. Some people absolutely cannot be rehabilitated.

    I mean, the world is overpopulated anyway. To say that doing away with some extremely, exceptionally dangerous people who will never be rehabilitated is not practical seems like an ethical rather than rational assertion on your part.
    Death row accounts for roughly .1% of the entire prison population at any given time, in the US.
    Exactly how much money do you expect to be saving taxpayers with an expedited capital punishment system?
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

  9. #99
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    while I don't support the death penalty on grounds of not wanting the State to have that kind of power, I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that this is entirely the most convincing point of death penalty supporters. serial killers, rapists and violent criminals are usually repeat offenders and killing them would likely collectively save the lifes of thousands of people a year. it's possible that the death penalty may even save more people than it kills
    I remember times in a country when they said, killing all the retarded people would save billion of lifes, cause it would free the human gene code from these deseases forever. Story of my life, "From Pragmatism to Ausschwitz", today Poland and the day after tomorrow the whole World !!
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  10. #100
    Senior Member Fan.of.Devin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INT-
    Posts
    294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elfboy View Post
    while I don't support the death penalty on grounds of not wanting the State to have that kind of power, I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that this is entirely the most convincing point of death penalty supporters. serial killers, rapists and violent criminals are usually repeat offenders and killing them would likely collectively save the lifes of thousands of people a year. it's possible that the death penalty may even save more people than it kills
    If their offense would be serious enough to warrant the death penalty, would it not surely be serious enough to warrant life in prison without parole otherwise? I think the answer is an obvious yes.

    So where does the risk come from here?
    Prison escapes? Definitely no statistical basis there.
    Something like 6,000 people successfully escape from prison a year (from ALL prisons a year... so an even smaller number than that escape from the high security facilities extremely violent offenders are kept at), which is like, 2,000 more people than are on death row... You do the math.

    Deaths of other inmates? Should we kill members of a certain offender group to prevent them from killing other members of the same offender group?
    Last edited by Fan.of.Devin; 04-27-2011 at 05:40 AM. Reason: forgot something
    INTP 4w5 SX/SP
    Tritype 4/5/8

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] What's wrong with the ENFP?
    By Waffle in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 02-17-2014, 12:43 AM
  2. Sociology - What is wrong with the profession of sociology?
    By cutie_me01 in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 12:18 PM
  3. What's wrong with a little deflation?
    By ygolo in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-01-2008, 11:05 PM
  4. What is Wrong with Economy
    By wildcat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-31-2008, 09:15 AM
  5. [MBTItm] What's wrong with being an xNTJ, anyway?
    By Enyo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 08-18-2008, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO