User Tag List

12 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Street lighting?

I read about a local government authority in the UK was going to cut off their street lighting and save the money necessary to cover their costs without a reduction in services which had been mandated by the ConDem coalition government, cutting street lighting would save that much money.

I actually thought that was great. Then I heard the same council had had to shelf the idea for long enough for their legal team to investigate the possibility of litigation if anyone accidentially fell down while out walking at night.

Is it really the responsibility of the government to provide a lit street so people can go for a walk?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The big thing with no street lights to me isn't having people accidentally falling down in the dark, but (and maybe this is just if America decided to shut off all publically funded street lights) that assaults, burglary, muggings, rape, etc. would go up. There's a reason the crime rate rises dramatically right when it's dark out.. it's easier to get away with things. Street lights make things harder to get away with.

So yeah, for the common good, it's a smart thing for a society and government to do.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The big thing with no street lights to me isn't having people accidentally falling down in the dark, but (and maybe this is just if America decided to shut off all publically funded street lights) that assaults, burglary, muggings, rape, etc. would go up. There's a reason the crime rate rises dramatically right when it's dark out.. it's easier to get away with things. Street lights make things harder to get away with.

So yeah, for the common good, it's a smart thing for a society and government to do.
    Yep. That covers it.
    Something Witty

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Walking late at night, I always keep close to the light.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm really surprised that council didn't think about safety from criminals before they thought about people falling down and suing.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    yupp

I like seeing when I'm walking, personal preference oh and I don't feel comfortable after dark alone even with street lights. I get we want to save the planet blah blah blah blah but damnit, I like being able to see.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post

Is it really the responsibility of the government to provide a lit street so people can go for a walk?
    I am the government. I am a citizen. I go for walks at night. I say yes, it is.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI

There was an article in national geographic a long time ago, about some town in Arizona that had an law against night time lighting. Idealistically... I think this is a pretty amazing idea. First off, I'd love to actually see the stars and the milky way at time, and it saddens me that there is so much light pollution. Second, humans awake at night, going to the 24 hour walmart late at night... this really goes against our natural clock, which many attribute to human stress. When the sun goes down, humans should "naturally" be down in bed as well.

However, this is modern day... with a population that's ridiculous, and crime rates, and 3rd shifts, etc. This isn't something that would go over too well in a lot of places.

In this particular Arizona town, I believe that neon signs were not allowed past 8pm, nor were lit advertisement boards on streets, and the few lit street lights had to be faced downwards. I believe most shops in this residence were closed by 8pm as well.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Walking late at night, I always keep close to the light.
    I walk at night and I particularly like walking in a large park by the lake, where there is almost no lighting. It gives me the sense of being enveloped by the night. And anyway if I can't see them, they can't see me. I am hidden by the velvet night.

I walk around at night and I know it is ultra safe. But still i have woman after woman tell me they are afraid to go out after dark. I find this contradiction very hard to understand. All I can think is that a women feels safe in a relationship where she can manipulate, but at night, alone, although safe, there is no one to manipulate and she is brought face to face with herself - the most dangerous person in the world.