User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 17 of 17

  1. #11
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyAnnaJoan View Post
    . Second, humans awake at night, going to the 24 hour walmart late at night... this really goes against our natural clock, which many attribute to human stress. When the sun goes down, humans should "naturally" be down in bed as well.
    Humans do whatever they want. We make our own destiny, even if that destiny involves working without the joy of sunlight upon our faces. And yeah, I'm going to have to agree that safety trumps a more clear view of the milky way. It's hard not to look at the milky way. Personally, I find the entire galaxy practically inescapable.

  2. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The big thing with no street lights to me isn't having people accidentally falling down in the dark, but (and maybe this is just if America decided to shut off all publically funded street lights) that assaults, burglary, muggings, rape, etc. would go up. There's a reason the crime rate rises dramatically right when it's dark out.. it's easier to get away with things. Street lights make things harder to get away with.

    So yeah, for the common good, it's a smart thing for a society and government to do.
    Criminals can see in the dark?!

  3. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I am the government. I am a citizen. I go for walks at night. I say yes, it is.
    I really dont like those sorts of arguments, it is of course the democratic ideal but you are no more the government than supposed consumer sovereignty makes you the economy or McDonalds (if you've ever ate there, or even if you've ever had shares or owned a franchised restaurant, OK, maybe if you owned a restaurant but not the others )

  4. #14
    it's tea time! Walking Tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    I prefer street lighting so that I can take a walk at night because I really don't like the idea of being hit by a car. Since I live in a dark area, I usually carry a flashlight at night and I wear a reflecting vest.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I really dont like those sorts of arguments, it is of course the democratic ideal but you are no more the government than supposed consumer sovereignty makes you the economy or McDonalds (if you've ever ate there, or even if you've ever had shares or owned a franchised restaurant, OK, maybe if you owned a restaurant but not the others )
    I'm afraid I don't quite understand. I simply believe that if we determine that the miniscule cost of employing lighting is worth less than the lives of our kin, we are justified. Why don't we just take a vote? Do you value electricity more, or do you value the lives of people more?

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I'm afraid I don't quite understand. I simply believe that if we determine that the miniscule cost of employing lighting is worth less than the lives of our kin, we are justified. Why don't we just take a vote? Do you value electricity more, or do you value the lives of people more?
    So how would that vote look? Christian Democrat vs. Liberal Party? Or perhaps "the state" is something other than the political parties who administer it in the sense you're talking about

  7. #17
    Senior Member Beargryllz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    2,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    So how would that vote look? Christian Democrat vs. Liberal Party? Or perhaps "the state" is something other than the political parties who administer it in the sense you're talking about
    How could we trust corruptible, bickering representatives with a matter this important? It would be better to use a referendum for something this critical to the sustainment of security and livelihood to our fellow man.

    I feel very strongly about this issue.

Similar Threads

  1. Light barrier broken? Is this possible?
    By Athenian200 in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 10:27 AM
  2. Seseme Street! :D
    By miss fortune in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 07:36 PM
  3. Industrial Light and Pixar...
    By The Ü™ in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 06:50 PM
  4. MBTI Light-Bulb Jokes
    By MerkW in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 11-30-2007, 12:25 AM
  5. Lights
    By LucrativeSid in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-19-2007, 08:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO