User Tag List

12311 Last

Default Brutal Attack On Trans. Woman In McDonald's: Did bystanders do enough?

Here is the article link and another more detailed article link.

The video is upsetting, consider yourself warned. (At the end, the transgender woman is having a seizure on the floor from the beating.)

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwJkYwYempc"]April 18 Attack[/YOUTUBE]

This whole thing upsets me from start to finish. Bravo to the ONE bystander who attempts to physically separate the pair of angry women from the victim. (Edit Note: a third woman appears at the end of the video to join the fray from outside, officially a group at that point IMO)

Ticking off possible discussion launches:

Unisex bathrooms in place of/addition to gender specific bathrooms, should we have them? Do these women have a right to be angry? If so, this angry?

Advantages/disadvantages of voyeuristic culture (i.e. recording events, but not getting involved in them)

Amateur journalism aside; consider Genovese syndrome Would you be part of the bystander effect? What would you do if presented with this situation?

Are we producing a generation more concerned with dramatic entertainment (either being the entertainment or providing the entertainment) than caring for each other?

Your thoughts please.
    Last edited by iwakar; 04-23-2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Edit Note
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

That's fucking disgusting.

I seriously cannot beleive I just fucking saw that. I really hope the fucking skanks responible for the beating are behind bars, or better yet executed.

And the fuck? None of the employees there did anything because? Aside from the manager I didn't see the other workers do anything which is really sad because they could have prevented the damn attack. Jesus, some people.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

This whole thing upsets me from start to finish. Bravo to the ONE bystander who attempts to physically separate the pair of angry women from the victim.
    I'm suddenly not so hungry anymore.. @_@ I was warned though.

Ticking off possible discussion launches:

Unisex bathrooms in place of/addition to gender specific bathrooms, should we have them? Do these women have a right to be angry? If so, this angry?
    I think separate bathrooms just makes things easier on the business owners... but really, every latrine has individual stalls, so no matter where you walk in at, no one is going to see you 'exposed'. Urinals, to me, are a luxury for men, but in the army we have them in both male and female latrines so that if facilities need to be switched for whatever reason it is seamless.

Advantages/disadvantages of voyeuristic culture (i.e. recording events, but not getting involved in them)
    It is important some things be caught on film and exposed to the world.. I don't begin to understand why cameramen cannot get involved, or refuse to get involved in a particular situation.. but I don't assume them to instantly be evil people.

Amateur journalism aside; consider Genovese syndrome Would you be part of the bystander effect? What would you do if presented with this situation?
    I've never just standed by. Ever. If I witness something, I am compelled to react. I've never understood the bystander effect.

Are we producing a generation more concerned with dramatic entertainment (either being the entertainment or providing the entertainment) than caring for each other?
    I think the world has been promoting this for a while now.. I just think it's become a hyperbolic equation recently.

Your thoughts please.
    It is disgusting. Physical violence like this is absolutely disgusting. I hope those women spend a very large amount of time in jail for their crimes.. and whatever happens in jail, I don't care about one way or the other.

I am glad there are people that can still stand up and help others.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Your thoughts please.

This has always been that way. when a fight happens, people have a tendency to gather around and stare rather then break anything up. its a part of our nature i think, its not one of our shining qualities.

yes I would do something to help the victim.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Okay, first of all, what happened on that video was horrific and I hate that shit, I mean I seriously don't know why people like that feel justified in violently attacking someone for their gender or sexual orientation, I will never be able to understand that mindset.

But secondly - people have ALWAYS been voyeuristic. Romans used to watch Christians get eaten by lions. In middle school and high school teenagers chant "fight fight fight!" when someone gets into it. I think this is something in human nature. I don't think the Internet created voyeuristic behavior or "watching a bad car accident" syndrome. It existed long before people were uploading shit on youtube or posting in their blogs.

I honestly think overpopulation is more responsible for dehumanization of other people. I've noticed in very small towns people are still more willing to help other people than in large cities. It's monkey brain self-preservation or something.

I also agree with kyuuei that we can't presume the film maker is evil. Maybe the person taking the film didn't feel they were physically capable of breaking up the fight, but thought they could bring attention to this kind of thing through filming it. Awareness is actually a good thing, it's important to accept the reality that these things go on. People will get outraged and begin to do something about it. At least some people will.

MBTI
    entp

How could all those people witness the victim clinging on to that elderly for dear life and not feel compelled to act? The bystander effect doesn't fit with me for this situation whatsoever. There hardly seemed to be that many people around, and of the people that were present most of them seemed to be co-workers - so it's kinda like " wow, if not for the sake of the victim at least present a good image for the place you work and keep the peace?"

also, how hard is it to stabilize and secure a seizure victim? It's common sense to at least get her away from the wall so she injure herself any further.

I love that old lady though; I think she was the only one ready to defend that woman with her fists. That's what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Okay, first of all, what happened on that video was horrific and I hate that shit, I mean I seriously don't know why people like that feel justified in violently attacking someone for their gender or sexual orientation, I will never be able to understand that mindset.

But secondly - people have ALWAYS been voyeuristic. Romans used to watch Christians get eaten by lions. In middle school and high school teenagers chant "fight fight fight!" when someone gets into it. I think this is something in human nature. I don't think the Internet created voyeuristic behavior or "watching a bad car accident" syndrome. It existed long before people were uploading shit on youtube or posting in their blogs.

I honestly think overpopulation is more responsible for dehumanization of other people. I've noticed in very small towns people are still more willing to help other people than in large cities. It's monkey brain self-preservation or something.

I also agree with kyuuei that we can't presume the film maker is evil. Maybe the person taking the film didn't feel they were physically capable of breaking up the fight, but thought they could bring attention to this kind of thing through filming it. Awareness is actually a good thing, it's important to accept the reality that these things go on. People will get outraged and begin to do something about it. At least some people will.
    The person recording the incident is actively instructing the three girls at the end to leave quickly before the police arrive because they have been called (presumably by the manager). This doesn't sound neutral to me.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I wish i was there, I would have Done something. that poor person. I would have taken her to the back and dealt with the women until the cops came. that manager really did nothing, he was entertained as well. that fat shit.

I read the blog of the person that recorded it. it had nothing to do with him and he did not feel responsible for any of it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    The person recording the incident is actively instructing the three girls at the end to leave quickly before the police arrive because they have been called (presumably by the manager). This doesn't sound neutral to me.
    Oh I see. That's truly fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Oh I see. That's truly fucked up.
    Somehow I missed this second paragraph at the second article link I provided. Sharing for community review:

A McDonald’s worker has taken credit for filming and uploading to YouTube the latest viral video to capture a brutal assault at a fast food restaurant.

The employee, identified as Vernon Hackett on social network accounts, posted the video clip to his YouTube page earlier this week. According to his Facebook page, the 22-year-old Hackett, pictured at right, has worked for McDonald's since September 2009 .

As seen above, in a Facebook posting, Hackett contended that the woman seen getting beaten in the video was actually a man "dressed lik a woman" who got into a confrontation with female patrons when he refused to leave the women’s bathroom at the Baltimore-area eatery. Hackett claimed that the victim faked a seizure and, when cops arrived at the restaurant, “he got right up.”

In other Facebook messages sent Friday by Hackett (see below), he acknowledged filming the fight, denied the victim was transgendered, and claimed he had “No Hate For Anybody…No Matter Tha Gender/Race Or Sexual Preference.” Hackett exchanged messages with Facebook users who wrote him to express anger about the video and his gleeful play-by-play.

[SCREENSHOTS PROVIDED AT THE SMOKING GUN]

Hackett did not reply to TSG messages sent to his Twitter and Facebook pages, which he subsequently deleted late this morning. He also has deleted his YouTube channel.
    Dug his own social network grave, he did.