User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you know that for sure? I didnt watch it so it'll be obvious if the guys whooping or calling out support but like I said if you dont want to risk life or limb yourself acting as a good witness or making a record in some shape could be the best you could do.

There was a debate a while back about someone who filmed a cop and could have provided the trigger in doing so for the cop to behave in a pretty unprofessional manner and legal action consequent to that, if someone deploys tech in that manner, (which I'm ambivalent about at best having seen too many "stunt" clips in which children are humiliating adults in the teaching, social services or health professions who act with any attempt to exercise legitimate authority in their lives) isnt it possible to deploy it in the face of a crime or something?
    It was previously established in this thread somewhere that the cameraman told the attackers to leave because the police were called... and he uploaded it to his FB page with a kind of "lolz look at meh" attitude. So, that is what I was going off of.

I don't see myself as being capable of standing there doing nothing. I couldn't stand watching it on film so I would most likely have to leave the actual scene, but I would be leaving to do something about it, ie, call the police.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    It was previously established in this thread somewhere that the cameraman told the attackers to leave because the police were called... and he uploaded it to his FB page with a kind of "lolz look at meh" attitude. So, that is what I was going off of.

I don't see myself as being capable of standing there doing nothing. I couldn't stand watching it on film so I would most likely have to leave the actual scene, but I would be leaving to do something about it, ie, call the police.
    Well that's not good, what I've hightlighted, no matter how little sympathy I have for someone (and I dont automatically feel the need to stand up for strangers or have any automatic perceptions of anyone as warranting or needing advocates or rescuers, particularly if its the predictable consequences of a deliberately choosen course of action) I dont find anyone getting a beating, especially if its very one sided, to be entertainment.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, Lark. He actually was part of the problem -- taunting her on tape, taunting her on facebook, etc. If you had bothered to be responsible enough to look at the data of the footage OR read this thread in more detail before once again taking the predictable POV, you would have known this.
    Well it sounds like you think I'm part of the problem too, so, not for the first time I'll step out a thread which you've mistaken for being about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, Lark. He actually was part of the problem -- taunting her on tape, taunting her on facebook, etc. If you had bothered to be responsible enough to look at the data of the footage OR read this thread in more detail before once again taking the predictable POV, you would have known this.
    tl;dr

But I'm sure I disagree with you Jennifer.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I am not saying she doesn't have the right to use a public restroom. Only that the morality is grey here. Understand some people may be opposed to it, and technically, they have as much right as you do to the damn bathroom.
    That doesn't make any sense. No one threatened their right to use the bathroom.

It is not them who are making the decision to blur the lines, and as the person who is, I think it is your responsibility to take the higher road and leave the bathroom if it is making everyone uncomfortable.
    Why? Their comfort is not anyone else's problem but their own.

Anyway I am not viewing this from a feelery perspective, but a fair one, that asks people to take some accountability for their life decisions. Both the trans-gender individual, the women, the bystanders.
    The only "wrong" action that she took was to directly continue goading the violence with name-calling and other such juvenile tactics. To say that she is in any way accountable for the violence that ensued because she chose, knowing that others find her identity distasteful, to use the bathroom specified for her identified gender would be holding her responsible for the actions of others.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well it sounds like you think I'm part of the problem too, so, not for the first time I'll step out a thread which you've mistaken for being about you.
    I don't think it's unreasonable for someone who is complaining about about how others should take responsibility for their own situations to take responsibility to actually bother to read the thread AND/OR the news story in question before offering a point of view that has already been offered a number of times in this thread and debunked. (And it's something that has happened numerous times before.)

You're standing up for the people who, at least at first glance, seem to be bullies and bigots, without bothering to even read the news source? I'd at least have enough self-respect (and respect for others in this thread) to watch the video and/or read the thread before taking that kind of stance. It seems like an intellectually lazy choice, to me, to take strong stances without at least having briefly acquainted yourself with the material, and thinking that the opinion has any solid footing.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Default Update

The employee filming the incident has been fired.

A Baltimore County McDonald's owner announced on Saturday afternoon that an employee who taped the violent beating of a customer — a video that went viral Friday — had been fired.

"My first and foremost concern is with the victim," franchise owner Mitchell McPherson said in a statement, adding that action might be taken against other restaurant workers as well. "I'm as shocked and disturbed by this assault as anyone would be. The behavior displayed in the video is unfathomable and reprehensible."
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

ThatGirl

Obviously, you guys are missing the point, so instead of repeating myself again with less structure each time around I will end with this.

I never said she was accountable for the violence. I did say she could have avoided it.

Because there is no law either way, for someone to, to not use the restroom, or ask or be asked to leave, this is an argument about respect and tolerance for another person's position.

This argument, should not be bias to support the side of the victim, who could have, showing what she was demanding, respect, simply left the restroom.

I am on the side of the victim here.

I completely believe this was an avoidable situation, so I hold all most involved responsible for some portion of the escalation, acts, and whatever consequences are still to come.

It is incredibly difficult to factor into my arguments exactly how I am compartmentalizing this, but I think it is a step further into the issue, than just looking at the terrible fate of this women. I shut up now.

MBTI
    ENTP

You have got to be kidding me.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    You have got to be kidding me.
    Why do people always say stuff like this after I decide to shut up?