User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Id like to think in my mind that I would have intervened, but in actuality... I probably wouldn't have. Especially because when I travel up to Baltimore it makes me kind of edgy. I try to keep my head down in Baltimore and some of the shadier suburbs of DC, because I stick out like a sore thumb. Especially in that area, if a white girl steps into a fight against 2 black girls, regardless of the reason for the fight.... Any other black girls in the area are going to turn on the white girl. It's sad, and it might sound unrealistic.... but thats the nature of some of these areas. It's very likely that people are going to defend eachother based on race in that situation.

If a 5 foot nothing pasty white kid like me stepped into that, it could very easily turn very bad for me. Realistically, calling the cops would be the extent of my intervention.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Id like to think in my mind that I would have intervened, but in actuality... I probably wouldn't have. Especially because when I travel up to Baltimore it makes me kind of edgy. I try to keep my head down in Baltimore and some of the shadier suburbs of DC, because I stick out like a sore thumb. Especially in that area, if a white girl steps into a fight against 2 black girls, regardless of the reason for the fight.... Any other black girls in the area are going to turn on the white girl. It's sad, and it might sound unrealistic.... but thats the nature of some of these areas. It's very likely that people are going to defend eachother based on race in that situation.
    Based on my experiences, yes, in that particular demographic, I'm pretty sure that would happen as well.

The guy employees were mostly black, though, I think, and bigger... and there's a difference when guys step in versus more girls.

If a 5 foot nothing pasty white kid like me stepped into that, it could very easily turn very bad for me. Realistically, calling the cops would be the extent of my intervention.
    That makes sense to me.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

You can't see the start of the fight. You do hear the girl mouthing off to the black girls and them yelling "b-tch" which leads me to believe they thought it was a girl. And, she fought them. I don't care who you are, don't run your mouth to black girls unless you are willing to back it up. They'll rip out their earrings, take their shoes off if they can, and come after you. And, the first thing they do is rip your hair out. Then they try to stomp you to death. This is just how black girls fight. I know, I spent my entire 6th grade earning respect with my fists. They always gang up on you - and you being down is never enough, they want to kill you. I had one try to put me through a plate glass window - this, after her friend took her place because she was too tired to finish the fight lol. We ended up best friends after that - I never did go down.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    And, the first thing they do is rip your hair out. Then they try to stomp you to death. This is just how black girls fight. I know, I spent my entire 6th grade earning respect with my fists. They always gang up on you - and you being down is never enough, they want to kill you.
    Pretty sure this is how all girls fight. Ive had white girls gang up on me like that. They rip at your hair and scratch at your eyes. Once they pull you down to the ground by your hair, youre fucked.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Nah, while I was growing up, they were faster, meaner, and they always had backup if they started to lose. This video was a major flashback to that year of life! I feel sorry for them if that was a real seizure. They did kick the back of the head pretty hard.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I disagree here. Even in purely practical terms, I would assume that waltzing into the men's bathroom looking like that would pose a MUCH greater threat than going to the women's side. He can't win; plus, what you've said is a bit like blaming the victim (which is neither a just nor helpful way of looking at the situation.)
    I am no way blaming the girl for the hostility she had to endure, but I am not going to view her as the modern day Rosa Parks either.

If that were me turning trans, I would have said to myself, "Okay, you know you still physically look a lot like a man, and these people are obviously having issues dealing with it. I am just going to leave until they do, or use the other restroom for right now. If worst comes to worst, I can go to Taco Bell across the street." I would exit the restroom and just think about how much I can't wait until no one questions my gender anymore.

I do blame the girl for engaging in the verbal altercation reported in all the articles. Just as much as you want people to understand your position, you need to understand theirs. Not everyone HAS to accept your choice, chose your battles, and leave them with the people who matter. Getting into a territorial fight at McDonalds, was completely unnecessary.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yeah. You know what it is? I've talked to other women there... and apparently if they're afraid the seats are dirty, they'll squat instead of sit on the seats (despite all the seat covers hanging on the walls, to use for that sort of thing) and thus piss all over the seats, ENSURING they're dirty.

It honestly annoys the crap out of me. I expect more from that sort of employee base.

This is interesting: One official study found that men's rooms might seem to have more trash (paper towels, etc.), but women's rooms have the higher levels of bad bacteria.

http://articles.cnn.com/1997-05-06/h...m?_s=PM:HEALTH

We're told to never ever put our purses on the floor either. There's even a cool little portable hook device you can buy if your door doesn't have one (wherever you're at), to hang your purse on.
    You know, as I understand it, mens urine tends to be different to womens. It tends to have higher levels of certain chemicals, including ammonia (I think....), that make it a more hostile environment for bacteria.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I am no way blaming the girl for the hostility she had to endure, but I am not going to view her as the modern day Rosa Parks either.

If that were me turning trans, I would have said to myself, "Okay, you know you still physically look a lot like a man, and these people are obviously having issues dealing with it. I am just going to leave until they do, or use the other restroom for right now. If worst comes to worst, I can go to Taco Bell across the street." I would exit the restroom and just think about how much I can't wait until no one questions my gender anymore.

I do blame the girl for engaging in the verbal altercation reported in all the articles. Just as much as you want people to understand your position, you need to understand theirs. Not everyone HAS to accept your choice, chose your battles, and leave them with the people who matter. Getting into a territorial fight at McDonalds, was completely unnecessary.
    I don't agree, people should stick up for themselves when facing discrimination and others should stick up for them also.
    I don't think it was stupid or naieve i think she should have deserved respect.

Hmmm, modern day Rosa Parks...similarities and differences, but i like the idea of it.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont always expect people to intervene again aggressors, its got to be a personal decision, although I have in the past and would in the future, sometimes the best thing you can do is to keep a cool head and be a good reliable, dependable witness who will take the stand as a witness rather than taking a personal stand as a pugilist. I've been in that position too. Sometimes you're out matched, its obvious, intervening will only get your ass kicked or dead and wont help anyone.

I think its a shame that more people film assaults or violence with a view to posting it on Youtube or sharing videos for a sort of sick or sadistic side show than taking it to the authorities to secure a prosecution.

To me personally the transgender dimension is unimportant, which is to say I dont care, what is important is the aggression or violence involved. Its only ever justified in defence of someone or something.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by GemPOPGem View Post
    I don't agree, people should stick up for themselves when facing discrimination and others should stick up for them also.
    I don't think it was stupid or naieve i think she should have deserved respect.

Hmmm, modern day Rosa Parks...similarities and differences, but i like the idea of it.
    Yeah and that is the kind of mentality that is going to get the shit beaten out of you. Thats the difference between a victim and a martyr. If you are not a man, and you are not a woman, how the fuck do you propose to argue your right to be in a gender specified bathroom.

I am not saying she doesn't have the right to use a public restroom. Only that the morality is grey here. Understand some people may be opposed to it, and technically, they have as much right as you do to the damn bathroom.

It is not them who are making the decision to blur the lines, and as the person who is, I think it is your responsibility to take the higher road and leave the bathroom if it is making everyone uncomfortable.

I hate people who shove their "Deal with my decisions or else," mentality in everyone else's face. I personally would leave the restroom if there was a man with a wig in it. You don't know what his sexual orientation is, or if he is simply a perve preying in women's bathrooms. Or if it is supposed to be some sort of disguise. Thinking to rob the place or something. I certainly wouldn't be caught with my pants down.

Anyway I am not viewing this from a feelery perspective, but a fair one, that asks people to take some accountability for their life decisions. Both the trans-gender individual, the women, the bystanders.

Also, for what it is worth, I absolutely would have stepped into the fight, and taken at least one of the women down. I would also have told the man to knock the other one out. That was a chicken shit and unfair fight.