User Tag List

First 2101112

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Do we even care why this happened?

A person got beaten senseless, which was simply wrong. Isn't that enough?
    Actually, I care. Only in the sense that understanding the "why" can provide tools to combat it. I'm not even talking about those who are not trans, if someone has an issue with another person's gender identity/race/sexual orientation/cross-eyed-ness/whatever it's difficult to change that but within the trans community itself knowing what can lead to dangerous situations can help keep you safe. Being safe cannot be taken for granted.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3

I watched 10 seconds and decided I was done. This is a huge issue for me, this woman did not deserve this, and it makes me very sad for humans in general to see something like this.

My entire life I have used both restrooms, and my entire life I've gotten weird looks in both. I have been very androgynous since a young age, and i've never felt at ease in either. Most of the time I do not use public restrooms unless there is a family/handicap/unisex restroom available, but sometimes you really have to go and you just have to choose one or the other.

As far as stepping in, being 5 foot 6 and 200lbs I doubt I could do much, but damn if I wouldn't give it my all. Even if I couldn't fight them off, I would probably have tried and shielded her. I've actually shielded people before, and it wasn't very pretty. Once I pretty much got the crap beat out of me trying to keep these two mexican girls from tearing into this younger black girl, and let me say, girls are freaking vicious. I ended up looking like I got hit by a car, and I was missing a chunk of my hair. The young girl actually didn't end up much better than I did, but I couldn't stand there and do nothing...(which is really completely unlike me in general. Maybe I was just beat up enough as a kid that it has a very profound effect on me.)

MBTI
    GONE

Oh, I think it's definitely important why it happened. One aspect of this crime is that it could be prosecuted as a hate crime (but for the wrong reasons).

And Kriash, good on ya for stepping in, in the past. Women are vicious - I think part of it is that when women fight it's because they are pissed and they don't care about winning or losing, they just wanna beat someone's ass. With guys, there is a machismo culture and even etiquette or moreso 'rules' and lot of fighting is just yelling and posturing.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

There is significant research into the idea that the more people you have in a group, the less each individual feels motivated to do. Something about dispersing responsibility amongst the group members. Hence few people are actually heroes and will step in. Most will just watch in shock and some part of their brain will be screaming "why isn't someone doing something?" instead of "if not me then who?".

The behaviour is deplorable but unfortunately not surprising.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    There is significant research into the idea that the more people you have in a group, the less each individual feels motivated to do. Something about dispersing responsibility amongst the group members. Hence few people are actually heroes and will step in. Most will just watch in shock and some part of their brain will be screaming "why isn't someone doing something?" instead of "if not me then who?".

The behaviour is deplorable but unfortunately not surprising.
    Usually in that situation, they just stand around and watch, thinking they should do something but not being sure what to do or if it is their job to do something. So it's a matter of boundaries rather than outright malice.

However, here, with the handful of spectators, people seemed to actually be enjoying the show. The fired employee was laughing as the beating commenced and filmed it in order to publish it online and heckle the victim further; and after the beating was ending, another employee was recorded as telling the culprits to get out of there before the police arrived. So this case seems far worse; the violence was not just not prevented by the bystanders, but actually endorsed by many of them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Usually in that situation, they just stand around and watch, thinking they should do something but not being sure what to do or if it is their job to do something. So it's a matter of boundaries rather than outright malice.

However, here, with the handful of spectators, people seemed to actually be enjoying the show. The fired employee was laughing as the beating commenced and filmed it in order to publish it online and heckle the victim further; and after the beating was ending, another employee was recorded as telling the culprits to get out of there before the police arrived. So this case seems far worse; the violence was not just not prevented by the bystanders, but actually endorsed by many of them.
    Oh granted the behaviour deserves punishment and I would hope that had I been there I would have had the stones to do something about it. All I'm saying is the psychology is there in our nature, as repugnant as that might be.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?