User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

MBTI
    INTP

I wish there were more people like Vicky Thoms, the lady who intervened. Apparently, the manager wouldn't even call the police. Unbelievable.
    Something Witty

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I wish there were more people like Vicky Thoms, the lady who intervened. Apparently, the manager wouldn't even call the police. Unbelievable.
    And that's where it starts to look both racial and anti-trans to me. Community camaraderie in its most despicable manifestation.
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    GONE

I've read to page 7 of this thread and I just wanted to say again - I don't think it mattered whether the transwoman in question tried to use the bathroom or not, she is a target for harassment and attacks whenever she goes into public. She wasn't attacked because she tried to use the bathroom, she was attacked because she was perceived as "a man in a dress" or basically as a freak.

So for me, the question of bathroom rights and privileges is a little moot. The discussion kinda overlooks the fact that violent transphobia is pretty common and accepted in society and that's because first and foremost, gender roles are so rigidly and blindly upheld.

Also, being from the general area (Baltimore/DC) there were a string of trans murders about a year or two ago where young black transpeople were killed. And at a popular lesbian bar in DC two trans men were attacked by a group of women both inside and outside the club who demanded to know "what they were" (nobody was stopped for using any bathrooms). When the story ran in the local weekly, the club owner denied the staff knew anyone was being attacked.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    My class didn't change. I just happen to have a fancy pipe.
    My family also happens to have "luxury" high prole bathrooms.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    And that's where it starts to look both racial and anti-trans to me. Community camaraderie in its most despicable manifestation.
    Yeah, it looks that way to me, too.
    Something Witty

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I've read to page 7 of this thread and I just wanted to say again - I don't think it mattered whether the transwoman in question tried to use the bathroom or not, she is a target for harassment and attacks whenever she goes into public. She wasn't attacked because she tried to use the bathroom, she was attacked because she was perceived as "a man in a dress" or basically as a freak.

So for me, the question of bathroom rights and privileges is a little moot. The discussion kinda overlooks the fact that violent transphobia is pretty common and accepted in society and that's because first and foremost, gender roles are so rigidly and blindly upheld.

Also, being from the general area (Baltimore/DC) there were a string of trans murders about a year or two ago where young black transpeople were killed. And at a popular lesbian bar in DC two trans men were attacked by a group of women both inside and outside the club who demanded to know "what they were" (nobody was stopped for using any bathrooms). When the story ran in the local weekly, the club owner denied the staff knew anyone was being attacked.
    Very good points well made. +100
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

More info on the incident, mention of the rally last night.
    (I was in Baltimore until late afternoon but didn't want to stay that late, to attend.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_videotaped_beating

The housing/job protections bill mentioned at the end was kinda big news here last month; but the Senate apparently tossed it (and only it, out of sixty other bills?) into committee, in an action that some have claimed to be highly irregular, and it never got out despite a lot of public testimony offered to support it.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

ugh! I wasn't saying that in all situations the bathroom is the problem, but you have to admit it does play a big role in situations like these. ANd having access to gender neutral bathrooms might lessen the problem. I didn't say get rid of the problem, and you have to admit that's probably true. People are going to be assholes, even then, but people are so tangled with gender division that being transgender will always be a problem or at least for a long time. There's no way to stop this shit from happening, yes we can make laws, but laws only work if their enforced, and if someone feels passionate enough the law isn't going to stop them. the law is very limited, we need to change the way people think of others, but asking people to change is like building a skyscraper by your self.

p.s. I have never claimed to know what it feels like to be in the wrong gender, I'll never know.I'll never be able to empathize with trans people, and I know this I can't speak for them, but I can speak for the people who support LGBTQ, but I can try them and offer support and they can take it or leave it.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Oberon

Do we even care why this happened?

A person got beaten senseless, which was simply wrong. Isn't that enough?

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Do we even care why this happened?

A person got beaten senseless, which was simply wrong. Isn't that enough?
    agreed.

i am not a violent person but i think i could have taken out at least one of those chicks with my super INFP powers and some well thrown ketchup.