Thread: Cops.....

MBTI
    xxxx
    Enneagram
    ?
    Socionics
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    you're on some other shit right now, i don't even know what you're talking about. why would anyone shoot me? lol
    Dam she good, she's like scary good.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I generally respect cops and don't fear than except when I'm driving. I start getting hypervigilant then, wondering if I'm doing anything wrong that I could possibly get pulled over for whether I am or not.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    yupp

they're cops. they get demonized, is that demonization sometimes justified? yes is it sometimes unjustified? yes. But I don't have a problem with them, of course the cops here aren't anti weed every person I know who's gotten caught the cops looked away, or took the weed and left. also if it goes to court the case usually gets thrown out. they have more important shit to deal with than some college kids smoking weed. are they dumb for getting caught? yes.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I've known some assholes with badges, but I've also known some really excellent people who happened to be cops. Such is life.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Generally speaking, I dont have problems with cops. I notice many people like to complain about them without necessarily understanding what it's like to be one up close.
    This.

The only time I'm wary around cops is when I'm doing something illegal, and even then I hate the law, not the cop.

I trust them enough, but they don't have my entire trust either.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I recently got arrested by Pentagon police for going up an escalator at a metro station (Pentagon). I was with a group. We were planning on dropping off a letter at the guard station and handing out a few flyers. As soon as we reached the top of the escalator, the cops ordered us to go into a "free speech zone" (protest pen). How can you drop off a letter to the secretary of defense if you're in a little penned in area? Then the cops gave us warnings, one right after the other. Then they rushed us and tried herding us like sheep. They knocked over an 80-year-old woman in the chaos that they caused. Then they arrested us. They treated some people very roughly by twisting their arms behind their backs.
    We were nonviolent. We were just delivering a letter.
    The whole process took about five minutes.
    But normally, cops aren't that badly behaved. Usually, I get along well with cops, even when they are arresting me.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

For the most part I have no problem with them. I think it's often a stressful job that gets a bad rap. People always get pissed off about getting pulled over and getting tickets, and like to blame it on cops being assholes when in actuality they deserved the ticket. I've never wrongfully been pulled over by a cop. I deserved every ticket I have ever gotten, and they were just doing their jobs. And all of the cops I have interacted with have been nice enough about it.

There are bad cookies in the lot that make them as a whole look bad. I think a stressful/physical job like that will have a tendency to draw some adrenaline junky/thrill seeking/testosterone driven types because they're the ones that can best cope mentally with those high tension situations. I think those types can sometimes be very prone to reacting quickly, rather than thinking something through which will get them into trouble.

But that quick reactivity is also probably an instinct that saves peoples lives and prevents disasters from happening in some situations. Heroes are commended for reacting without thinking like that. So it can go either way.

The only shady thing Ive ever seen, is on my campus after a basketball game... Some kid got the everliving shit beat out of him by the riot police. The riot police claimed he assaulted a police horse, the horse freaked out and kicked him and thats where his injuries came from. A few days later, of course, the cell phone camera video of the incident emerged.... Because these days there is ALWAYS a cell phone video of it. The horse never got near the kid, and the kid didn't appear to do anything visible to provoke the police. But 3 police started beating him to the ground, and continued beating him while he was curled up in a ball on the ground.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Generally speaking, I dont have problems with cops. I notice many people like to complain about them without necessarily understanding what it's like to be one up close.
    Truth.

I respect the individual and not the office but that's not restricted to the police, or even civil authorities, by any stretch of the imagination.

I've known about or experienced close to first hand rank incompetence amongst officers here in NI which bordered on being complicit in crimes, resulting, at least, in the securing of convictions or even grounds for prosecution becoming an impossibility. That's pretty serious when you consider the public safety consequences, which itself is before you even consider things like the satisfaction of victims or their families.

There isnt much satisfaction anyway, there being a lot of law, not much justice and the legal monolith becoming more and more of an administrative exercise with no real ramifications for anything other than the grossest violations of reasonable behaviour in the most unambivalent circumstances. Although in fairness such an objective and sobering an appraisal of law and order probably grates decent law enforcement professionals as much as decent citizens.

Although that's my bugbear with the police, or is more likely to be my bugbear with the police, than believing them to be villains in uniform, persecutors or malign powers (Training Day was a good realpolitik movie though, again applicable beyond police work). The legitimacy of authority can be questioned if it is proven weak as easily as if it is proven corrupt or malign.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    This.

The only time I'm wary around cops is when I'm doing something illegal, and even then I hate the law, not the cop.
    If I ever get a chance to I'm going to buy you a drink on the basis of this post alone. If you've an Amazon wishlist feel free to PM me a link.

Cheers man.