User Tag List

View Poll Results: De-fund Planned Parenthood?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I support de-funding.

8 21.05%
  • No, I do not support de-funding.

30 78.95%
First 45678 Last

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    PP gets a good deal of charitable donations, I think 1/3 of it is from the government, and if we did what you suggest, their private donations would stay roughly the same. No one is going to tick a box on their tax form to pay more taxes.

It's like the highway system. Not everyone uses it, but it benefits nearly everyone in some way and so many rely on it. If we privatized federal highway funding, and made our highway system into a charity case, we'd have less funding and crappy highways and everyone would suffer.

Same thing with PP. And the massive irony to this is the largest portion of what PP does is birth control/contraceptive services than abortion service (35% to 3%), so if PP disappeared, the abortion rate would actually go up, because abortion would still be legal and regulated. This is especially true since PP is the primary provider of contraception in the US. So in a twisted way, pro-lifer's should be grateful to PP.
    These are good points. Thankyou. I don't see many people protesting highways, basic infastructure. (Maybe its where I live.) But this is a social issue. And in a way, though I don't disagree with PP, I can understand how someone that vehemently disagrees with its practices is pissed off, just like I'm pissed that a few of my hard earned dollars goes to what I perceive to be to useless wars. You don't think that people that support PP would voluntarily financially support it? What does that say about their support?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    You don't think that people that support PP would voluntarily financially support it? What does that say about their support?
    Those people already do. It's 2/3's of their funding.

So taking away 33% of their funding which comes from the government would partially cripple PP, and most of the services and free care they provide the majority of people agree with morally. Like early cancer screening (saving who knows how many lives), STD prevention and testing, womens health services, etc.

So the quality-of-life for the portion of Americans who rely on their services would go down. Sometimes, for the common good, their are things only the government can do. Charity alone can't support our nation's infrastructure, protect us from military invasion, put out fires, put murderer's in jail, etc. Unless we want to be a 3rd world nation, or a conquered one.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Those people already do. It's 2/3's of their funding.

So taking away 33% of their funding which comes from the government would partially cripple PP, and most of the services and free care they provide the majority of people agree with morally. Like early cancer screening (saving who knows how many lives), STD prevention and testing, womens health services, etc.

So the quality-of-life for the portion of Americans who rely on their services would go down. Sometimes, for the common good, their are things only the government can do. Charity alone can't support our nation's infrastructure, protect us from military invasion, put out fires, put murderer's in jail, etc. Unless we want to be a 3rd world nation.
    I wonder if people would be more likely to donate to things they support, if they were not foced to donate to things they don't. I also wonder if direct donation to PP would not reap more rewards than moving through an intermediary (like govt.) But thanks for the info
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Yes, it and a million other programs that waste my money, excessively tax people and business, and give far too many people the attitude of entitlement that others should pay their way in life.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    Yes, it and a million other programs that waste my money, excessively tax people and business, and give far too many people the attitude of entitlement that others should pay their way in life.
    Like being entitled to pay less tax?

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

Like earning your own money and paying your own way (and your own bills) in life. People that live off the government and others don't pay much, if any taxes.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    I agree. Let's start with the damn banksters.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    It doesn't make much of a case against Planned Parenthood as a whole.
    Well, my point was not to target the organization as a whole in referencing that video.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    We know it's not a vegetable and we know it's a living being. Human is the very fuzzy word in that sentence. Humanity, in the sense that is so important to the people who argue this case, is still ill-defined by science actually.

I like how this statement seems to look askance at the moral agenda of the other side while also being clearly driven by a moral agenda.

Between the presumption about the right to life and the emphasis on the weakness of fetuses, there's some passionate moral stuff behind those words.
    Not only that, but the whole damn thing isn't about abortion, anyhoo. It's about women's healthcare. That's what so fucking ignorant about it, and I why I object so strongly to their controlling morality. I don't think this is just about abortions, in fact abortions are a miniscule percentage of what goes on at Planned Parenthood, and government funding is not supposed to go toward that aspect anyway. Apparently the idea that people have sex and might need education, contraception, and STD screening is against their morals.

MBTI
    ISTx

Aside from the 350,000 abortions they can take credit for in 2009, that is.