User Tag List

View Poll Results: De-fund Planned Parenthood?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I support de-funding.

8 21.05%
  • No, I do not support de-funding.

30 78.95%
First 34567 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I dealt first hand with planned parenthood when my youngest sister became pregnant. She HAD family for a resource--we were here. but we had no idea what to do.. what her rights were.. what ours were. Where to go.

Planned Parenthood had protestors everywhere when we walked up to it, making us feel filthy for going in. But the women were nice that greeted us. My baby sister was told what her rights were, and what her parent's rights were as well. She was NOT encouraged to get an abortion--she was actually discouraged from it during the counseling session. They asked her what she felt about the child--what she wanted to do with it--and figured out the root source of her confusion. When they realized her confusion was more "What do I do now?" than "Am I keeping this?", they gave her ONE pamphlet on abortion that talked about some of the downsides of it, as well as how the procedure works and testimonials.. but several pamphlets on parenting, resources for younger girls, legal rights and issues, etc.

It was a fantastic resource for us, even though we didn't go there intending to get an abortion. To de-fund it to me seems absurd. There are plenty of things needlessly eating at the budget now.. picking on essentials is just dumb.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Thanks to science we now know that what grows inside a pregnant women is not a vegetable, but a living human being.
    We know it's not a vegetable and we know it's a living being. Human is the very fuzzy word in that sentence. Humanity, in the sense that is so important to the people who argue this case, is still ill-defined by science actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    One would presume that all humans are entitled to the right to life, but some people want to use their moral beliefs about the status of these humans as non-persons in order to further their agenda. In the search for power they stomp on the weakest of all humans.
    I like how this statement seems to look askance at the moral agenda of the other side while also being clearly driven by a moral agenda.

Between the presumption about the right to life and the emphasis on the weakness of fetuses, there's some passionate moral stuff behind those words.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    yupp

defunding planned parenthood is a bad idea. I just know this, and I'm right don't ask me to explain it, because I'm so correct I don't know even know.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    defunding planned parenthood is a bad idea. I just know this, and I'm right don't ask me to explain it, because I'm so correct I don't know even know.
    Prpl has spoken.

[/thread]
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

how about free easily reversible vasectomy, to bring life into the world when you really mean to?

it would end the pro lifer, pro choice dilemma

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

The money spent funding one day for the war in Afghanistan is like PP's yearly budget x10000000. It's not even a drop of water in our budget, and only 3% of what they do is abortions, and the federal funds aren't even used for the abortions, so fuckin' yea fund em.

Defunding PP isn't a budgetary issue, it's just pro-lifers who would love nothing better than for PP not to exist.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    Prpl has spoken.

[/thread]
    yes I have. and I still have yet to see a counter argument that's OMGZZZZ defunding's a good idea!!!! it's all bull crap, because if you weigh the good against the bad with planned parenthood the good wins.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The money spent funding one day for the war in Afghanistan is like PP's yearly budget x10000000. It's not even a drop of water in our budget, and only 3% of what they do is abortions, so fuckin' yea fund em.

Defunding PP isn't a budgetary issue, it's just pro-lifers who would love nothing better than for PP not to exist.
    Well, tbh, I personally despise much of the military and war funding going on. It pisses me right off that some of my tax dollars go towards this.. (probably alot looking at stats.) I believe in a strict non-interventionalist foreign policy. With this in mind.. I wonder....

Why is it that we cant allow those that agree with planned parenthood and its services to fund it? Privatize and allow those that believe in the cause to fund it.. and those that do not to not? What would the benefits of this be?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Give me a good reason, and I'll be OK with defunding

Caveat: "I find abortion distasteful" is not a good reason

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    Well, tbh, I personally despise much of the military and war funding going on. It pisses me right off that some of my tax dollars go towards this.. (probably alot looking at stats.) I believe in a strict non-interventionalist foreign policy. With this in mind.. I wonder....

Why is it that we cant allow those that agree with planned parenthood and its services to fund it? Privatize and allow those that believe in the cause to fund it.. and those that do not to not? What would the benefits of this be?
    PP gets a good deal of charitable donations, I think 1/3 of it is from the government, and if we did what you suggest, their private donations would stay roughly the same. No one is going to tick a box on their tax form to pay more taxes.

It's like the federal highway system. Not everyone uses it or agrees with its funding, but it benefits nearly everyone in some way and so many rely on it. If we privatized public highway funding, and made our highway system into a charity case, we'd have dramatically less funding and crappy highways and everyone would suffer.

Same thing with PP. And the massive irony to this is that the largest portion of what PP does is birth control/contraceptive services not abortion service (35% to 3%), so if PP disappeared, the abortion rate would actually go up due to more unplanned pregnancies, because obviously abortion would still be legal and regulated. This is especially true since PP is the primary provider of contraception in the US. So in a twisted way, pro-lifer's should be grateful to PP.