User Tag List

View Poll Results: De-fund Planned Parenthood?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I support de-funding.

8 21.05%
  • No, I do not support de-funding.

30 78.95%
First 23456 Last

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Voting to defund it is like voting to drastically increase teen pregnancy and STD rates. If you want more bodies and more germs, I suppose this is a good move, because it sort of opens up more dollars to spend elsewhere. I imagine there is a much stronger ethical argument out there, what with all the hardships. I guess I don't think defunding it would be the responsible thing to do.
    Yes, I'm worried about this as well...

I agree with Fidelia that in the responsibility aspect, but realistically, this isn't the case. I suspect this is going to cause STD rates and teen pregnancies to skyrocket. Especially the STD issue...

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    Who cares about the source? Video doesn't lie.
    1. Several lawyers, a judge, and a jury.
    2. Any video can be edited.
    3. It could be ruled as entrapment in a court of law.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    So those with a political agenda are the ones at fault, not a planned parenthood employee condoning/covering for child prostitution? Got it.
    i don't understand what the actions of one employee has to do with the whole organization. you'll find shitty, incompetent, immoral people in all lines of work, that doesn't mean government funding should be based on it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Excepting libertarians, I don't see any reason why the answer to this question shouldn't be determined by whether someone is pro-abortion or anti-abortion.
    Excepting libertarians, I don't see any reason why the answer to this question shouldn't be answered by whether someone is a rational, sane adult with a grip on reality and the natural consequences of human behavior, or if they're a delusional idealist who thinks that by projecting their subjective morality on others they can coerce them into "behaving."

Bristol Palin is the product of a family values and abstinence foundational upbringing. Need I say more?

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Excepting libertarians, I don't see any reason why the answer to this question shouldn't be answered by whether someone is a rational, sane adult with a grip on reality and the natural consequences of human behavior, or if they're a delusional idealist who thinks that by projecting their subjective morality on others they can coerce them into "behaving."
    You are such a lil cupcake.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Bristol Palin is the product of a family values and abstinence foundational upbringing. Need I say more?
    Exactly.

Prostitution exists even though it's illegal, and so did abortion before it was legal (and it killed many women as a result). Their religious beliefs aren't going to stop the spread of herpes or AIDS, no matter how much they wish it would.

People won't stop being gay because you won't allow them to marry, and in short, nothing has really changed in terms of human sexual behavior and it's consequences over the past several centuries.

The only way you can control people with your religion is by forcing the government to form an alliance with religion, and oppressing women into arranged marriages, et al.

Even then...husbands were secretly gay, women were secretly having abortions, and young women were being thrown out into the street to starve because they were being knocked up by their fathers, employers, priests, and the local stable boy.

Thanks to science, we now embrace rational solutions to social ills.

Well, at least some of us do.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

we have to defund all these drops in the bucket to keep the great society solvent.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Thanks to science, we now embrace rational solutions to social ills.
    Thanks to science we now know that what grows inside a pregnant women is not a vegetable, but a living human being.

One would presume that all humans are entitled to the right to life, but some people want to use their moral beliefs about the status of these humans as non-persons in order to further their agenda. In the search for power they stomp on the weakest of all humans.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

I don't take a stance either way with PP being defunded, and it's because I don't believe (or haven't come across) a really solid report on how they budget and account. Principles alone, I think PP is a good service, I don't take any moral highground on promoting abortions or not, kids getting on the pill with out mom and pop knowing, etc. I would never try to tell another how to live their life. All in all, PP offers quite a few good services.

Heres my beef with PP

I know for a FACT, that they don't do much investigation on what ones personal contribution should be. They have you fill out papers of what you make, and base what you pay on this without ANY proof. When I was in my late teens and early twenties, a few times I went to PP for cheap BC etc.. while I was unemployed. This was back in like 97'. They tagged me as a "no pay" and I give what I can, if I can. Now I have 2 friends that are both over 30, have been on the same "no pay" file since they were teenie boppers, make well over 70k in household income, and they STILL get free BC from them, free annual check ups, free condoms, and I believe they are required to pay a small amount for the morning after pill. I wonder how many other people are filed "no payers" from 10+ efen years ago, getting services they could EASILY afford to pay themselves....

The second thing I want to say is that after going to them for a few years when younger, I found their exams, labs, and some of their medical workers incompetent. A good friend went to them for 3 straight years and had annual exams come back fine. Yet she was having major symptoms. After going to another gynecological office that used different labs, she was diagnosed with advanced cervical cancer. The degree of cancer was so extreme, that the doctor could not believe her previous exams and lab work had come back "normal."

From a preventative standpoint, they may offer some good services and guidance, resources. But to use them as an end all any real gyno issues, no efen way.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts