User Tag List

View Poll Results: De-fund Planned Parenthood?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I support de-funding.

8 21.05%
  • No, I do not support de-funding.

30 78.95%
First 12345 Last

*waits for Glenn Beck*

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Oh well goddamn that employee for thinking a prostitute is still a human being worthy of health care.
    You didn't watch the video apparently. That bribe she encouraged was all for the welfare of the child, no doubt.

If you're seriously sticking up for that lady, you sicken me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    You didn't watch the video apparently. That bribe she encouraged was all for the welfare of the child, no doubt. If you're seriously sticking up for that lady, you sicken me.
    I did watch the video, I think that woman was trying to reach out and trying to help a prostitute i.e. keep them connected to healthcare services rather than scaring them away, what did you want them to do - have the girl arrested?

....and, no worries, your beliefs sicken me, so apparently we're even.

MBTI
    ISTx

My beliefs sicken you? Are you referring to the belief that minors forced into sex slavery is intolerable, or...?

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    The problem is, that a lot of the types of girls who are utilizing these services probably AREN'T the girls with family who are willing to talk about these issues or educate them. If they don't have their parents as a resource, they turn to planned parenthood. If planned parenthood isn't a resource, where do they go from there?

Sure, having a support system like a family would be ideal... But not everyone has that luxury.

And I don't see Planned Parenthood as primarily being about "reactionary measures", but OF preventative measures. Their primary services/spending is in birth control/education. Their services probably do result in a decline in pregnancy rates and abortion by making birth control affordable and obtainable to sexually active women.
    Completely agree with you patches.

Fidelia, I don't think what you said is sufficiently realistic enough for these sorts of matters. There are so many different reasons people can't approach their family for support. I think its great so many people feel they have "a place to go" when they run out of other options.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    *waits for Glenn Beck*
    I agree with Jaguar.

MBTI
    INTP

Voting to defund it is like voting to drastically increase teen pregnancy and STD rates. If you want more bodies and more germs, I suppose this is a good move, because it sort of opens up more dollars to spend elsewhere. I imagine there is a much stronger ethical argument out there, what with all the hardships. I guess I don't think defunding it would be the responsible thing to do.

Excepting libertarians, I don't see any reason why the answer to this question shouldn't be determined by whether someone is pro-abortion or anti-abortion.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    Who cares about the source? Video doesn't lie.
    But you can dishonestly interpret the video, Let's say the video does in fact depict the worst thing you could imagine it depicting. My problem with bringing it up is that it's extremely anecdotal. It doesn't make much of a case against Planned Parenthood as a whole.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Patches View Post
    The problem is, that a lot of the types of girls who are utilizing these services probably AREN'T the girls with family who are willing to talk about these issues or educate them. If they don't have their parents as a resource, they turn to planned parenthood. If planned parenthood isn't a resource, where do they go from there?

Sure, having a support system like a family would be ideal... But not everyone has that luxury.

And I don't see Planned Parenthood as primarily being about "reactionary measures", but OF preventative measures. Their primary services/spending is in birth control/education. Their services probably do result in a decline in pregnancy rates and abortion by making birth control affordable and obtainable to sexually active women.
    I'm not sure I would speak of the family as an ideal or luxury, unless I'm wrong in believing that family support is not as rare as all that. Those kinds of narratives are unfortunate.

On the one hand they suggest that neglect is atypical, if not actually reinforcing neglect by supplying parents who do not foster proper/healthy sexual norms and mores with an excuse. On the other hand it creates an unrealistic expectation of public agencies as capable of being a substitute for the family, I'd suspect no honest professional would believe or suggest that themselves.

I think there's a problem if you feel entitled to have sex without going to the trouble of procuring proper contraception, for the most part its not that expensive or difficult to source, its pretty available already. If people dont give enough of a shit to think and act on this want of a free/tax funded service isnt their real problem.

There is also a problem I believe in the implication that the availability of contraception should be the only thing causing hesitation about sexual activity anyway. Like Fidelia says there's a lot of sexual activity among the population of vulnerable young people these sorts of services end up catering for the most which is for all kinds of motivations, not all of them healthy. Now it may be possible to suggest that the motivation doesnt matter, its the behaviour which does, hence the role of the service in any case. Perhaps that kind of argument can serve for a time but I believe that ultimately the motivation does matter and if it is unhealthy will exhaust all available services and resources.

In the UK there's pretty comprehensive sexual health services and clinics servicing populations of really vulnerable school kids, I've talked to workers who've performed the role of advisors and dispensers of contraceptives and they've spoken about real ambivalence and concerns. They've all told me that its not at all possible to maintain views that they are supporting the decisions of sensible individuals to engage in recreational sex they are uncomfortable or unwilling to speak to parents or carers about.

So far as educating goes most of them say that the young people they encounter have received shocking amounts of information and misinformation from peers and the wider society, they are responsive to peer pressures or bullying, they are often unaccomplished and cant feel accomplished or adult through anything other than promiscuity, it can be about bonding but that is actually best case scenario. I've spoke to some pretty liberal individuals who have shared serious disquiet about young people seeking to present pretty delinquent, even depraved, behaviour as rebellious or adventurious in contrast to the prudery or "kill joy" sexual norms of, an at abstract or figurative, "others", "society", "the state".

I've had to try and correct expressed views myself when I hear for instance a fourteen or fifthteen year old attacking peers as young as twelve for being "frigid" because they have not the knowledge or willingness to engage in sexual behaviour which I believe would give any well adjusted adult second thoughts.

I dont believe that the availability of services per se created this problem and I dont believe it necessarily reinforces it (but it can, it depends on the individuals involved), it definitely can not solve it, and at the very best it can only attempt to contain or provide some remedy to the worst natural and logical consequences resulting from the choices involved.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Excepting libertarians, I don't see any reason why the answer to this question shouldn't be determined by whether someone is pro-abortion or anti-abortion.
    I think that whether you are pro or anti recreational sex, particularly among some of the groups most likely to be in contact with agencies like this, and planning could come into it too.