User Tag List

View Poll Results: De-fund Planned Parenthood?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I support de-funding.

8 21.05%
  • No, I do not support de-funding.

30 78.95%
First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I do not support the philosophical foundation of Planned Parenthood nor some of their operating methods, although I do believe that accurate information and counselling should be available to young people.

I don't support publicly funding an organization that doesn't present a well-rounded perspective of health risks of some birth control, the emotional impact of abortion, and doesn't feel guardians/parents of minors are a part of the equation even though they are legally responsible for all other areas of the child's life. If someone is old enough to engage in sex, they also need to be counselled about the responsibilities that accompany sex, including purchasing their own birth control, talking to a doctor and to their partner, getting tested, and having an effective plan for what they would do should they become pregnant. Sex is a privilege rather than a right and it is accompanied by adult responsibilities that most children are not equipped for. In some cases, I believe we are also setting a young person up for more exploitation by providing these resources for free.

While I am aware that some pre-teens/teens will engage in sex anyway, I would prefer to put resources into information that would help them make a more informed choice, education that would give them stronger communication skills and choices in life, and in more familial supports that would prevent children from cutting off their options at an early age or seeing having children at a young age as an attractive option.

From the time I have spent working with troubled teenagers, my experience has been that the reasons for engaging in sex at a young age or having children at a young age have very little to do with the availability of birth control, or in achieving real sexual pleasure. It usually has much more to do with a lack of communication skills and assertiveness, looking to someone to supply emotional needs (which family/community is not offering) through sex, norms in their subculture, needing something to love or a lack of options/hope about the future.

By addressing these issues, I believe we would see a decline in STDs, pregnancy rates and abortions and our resources would be channelled into preventative measures rather than reactionary ones.

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    While I am aware that some pre-teens/teens will engage in sex anyway, I would prefer to put resources into information that would help them make a more informed choice, education that would give them stronger communication skills and choices in life, and in more familial supports that would prevent children from cutting off their options at an early age or seeing having children at a young age as an attractive option.
    [...]
    By addressing these issues, I believe we would see a decline in STDs, pregnancy rates and abortions and our resources would be channelled into preventative measures rather than reactionary ones.
    The problem is, that a lot of the types of girls who are utilizing these services probably AREN'T the girls with family who are willing to talk about these issues or educate them. If they don't have their parents as a resource, they turn to planned parenthood. If planned parenthood isn't a resource, where do they go from there?

Sure, having a support system like a family would be ideal... But not everyone has that luxury.

And I don't see Planned Parenthood as primarily being about "reactionary measures", but OF preventative measures. Their primary services/spending is in birth control/education. Their services probably do result in a decline in pregnancy rates and abortion by making birth control affordable and obtainable to sexually active women.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Quote Originally Posted by Ignite View Post
    You asked, I supplied. No need for the "oh please".
    You supplied a video made by a group with a political agenda - one which was posted in this forum when the video was "news."
    What is someone going to post next for evidence - Glenn Beck ranting?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    You supplied a video made by a group with a political agenda - one which was posted in this forum when the video was "news." What is someone going to post next for evidence - Glenn Beck ranting?
    So those with a political agenda are the ones at fault, not a planned parenthood employee condoning/covering for child prostitution? Got it.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Planned Parenthood is condoning child prostitution?

Yes, also see: THE COMMUNISS ARE COMING.

Do you people eat brain tumors for breakfast?

*goes and does work, I swear*

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Well I dont support any reduction in services, so if there is good reason for funding to be withdrawn from PP then fine but it ought to be allocated to an equivalent agency providing the same service.

So those with a political agenda are the ones at fault, not a planned parenthood employee condoning/covering for child prostitution? Got it.
    I don't trust the source. That was my point.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Planned Parenthood is condoning child prostitution?
    Didn't say that.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I don't trust the source. That was my point.
    Who cares about the source? Video doesn't lie.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Didn't say that.
    Oh well goddamn that employee for thinking a prostitute is still a human being worthy of health care.