User Tag List

View Poll Results: De-fund Planned Parenthood?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I support de-funding.

8 21.05%
  • No, I do not support de-funding.

30 78.95%
First 210111213 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Actually I was expecting that I will get this answer. But none the less the situation can be fixed. Take out the money that goes to the the paying of abortions out of the deal and make a special account that can be filled only with donations. (which are 2/3 of the their budget anyway)
    I truly dont see a reason why destroy a good concept because one element is against values of some people .
    An arbitrary principle being placed over actual consequences. I'm afraid that's the kind of thinking that has been steering this country down the wrong track for a while. You try arguing with one of the people that refuses to fund this.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Actually I was expecting that I will get this answer. But none the less the situation can be fixed. Take out the money that goes to the the paying of abortions out of the deal and make a special account that can be filled only with donations. (which are 2/3 of the their budget anyway)
    I truly dont see a reason why destroy a good concept because one element is against values of some people .
    Because all people place different values on a thing. The value of a thing is always relative to a particular person, is completely personal and different in quantity for each living human. "Values" can be merely a rough guess at the average of personal values, all of which must be quantitatively different, and when views are extremely different, the average can be skewed very far from what your "normal" views may be.

So you see, once again, it would be fitting to blame the extremists. Extremists seem to get a lot of flak these days.

Just keep in mind that there are some issues for which a compromise will be difficult, because compromising your values can be unnerving and extremely uncomfortable.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

No comments on my proposal? I'm astonished. I was sure that my proposal would offend at least one member of this forum.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    No comments on my proposal? I'm astonished. I was sure that my proposal would offend at least one member of this forum.
    You are not outrageous enough. I can help though. I know many ways to offend many different, diverse groups of people.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Haven't you heard? We can't in good conscience spend money on things that people don't want money spent on. You bring up very good points, but think of all the people who would be morally wrecked if they discovered tax dollars went to fund an abortion. It would be along the same lines of a person learning that their government sanctioned executions, invasions, ethnic cleansings, or any other morally questionable killings.
    Realistically, our economy is so interwoven that I think we can all say without doubt that some portion of the money we spend on a given day is going to some cause somewhere in the world that we personally find morally objectionable.

You are not outrageous enough. I can help though. I know many ways to offend many different, diverse groups of people.
    It must take a great deal of talent to pull that off.

You haven't been a decent troll since like, say, oh, 2008.
    (I don't know what happened. It's like you got respectable or something.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

What was it again? I didnt notice it if it were meant to be offensive I usually do.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Haven't you heard? We can't in good conscience spend money on things that people don't want money spent on. You bring up very good points, but think of all the people who would be morally wrecked if they discovered tax dollars went to fund an abortion. It would be along the same lines of a person learning that their government sanctioned executions, invasions, ethnic cleansings, or any other morally questionable killings.
    Wait, doesn't our country invade countries and execute people already?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Wait, doesn't our country invade countries and execute people already?
    It gets better. You've neglected to mention all the torturing. Personally, I feel like it is the way of things. I've been funding these operations since long before I could vote on the issues. But the thing is, humans reserve the right to determine who will live and who will die in their societies. It is a big responsibility, and we don't always agree, but we make these decisions all the time. To think that we would reach a unanimous conclusion in these matters is wishful thinking at its worst.

Oberon

If in broad terms the Planned Parenthood organization fits the legal definition of a 501c3 non-profit organization, and if in broad terms it is obeying the legal restrictions on such organizations, then I see no legal reason to de-fund them.

Funding this organization violates the spirit but not the letter of the Hyde amendment, which is a fairly minor quibble. Considering that the Boy Scouts of America are also recipients of Federal dollars, it seems a reasonable trade.

I would be more interested in de-funding a broad swath of organizations large and small, including both PP and the BSA, on the general principle that I believe our Federal government has its fingers in too many pies and its dollars in too many pockets and in any event, we need to reign in the budget.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I would be more interested in de-funding a broad swath of organizations large and small, including both PP and the BSA, on the general principle that I believe our Federal government has its fingers in too many pies and its dollars in too many pockets and in any event, we need to reign in the budget.
    Agree. THere are plenty of cashcows that should be cut instead.
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts