User Tag List

123 Last

Default I'm sure we can find other places to cut spending

Here are the terminations proposed in H.R.1 (continuing resolution)
    http://www.majorityleader.gov/upload...RMINATIONS.pdf

Below is the list of cuts that I think will make the U.S. less competitive in the global economy, both long term and short term.

Agriculture:
    Agricultural Research Service, Building and Facilities -$70.8
    High Energy Cost Grant Program -$17.5M

Commerce/Justice/Science:
    NTIA Public Telecom Facilities Construction -$20M
    NIST Construction Grants -$20M

Energy and Water:
    Weatherization Assistance Program -$210M
    State Energy Program -$50M

Labor/HHS:
    Green Jobs Innovation Fund -$40M
    Career Pathways Innovation Fund -$125M
    Literacy through School Libraries -$19M
    High School Graduation Initiative -$50M
    Mathematics and Science Partnerships -$180.5M
    Teaching of Traditional American History -$119M
    Teach for America -$18M
    Fund for the Improvement of Education (FIE) -$261M
    Excellence in Economic Education -$1.5M
    Elementary and Secondary School Counseling -$55M
    Carol M. White Physical Education Program -$79M
    Civic Education -$35M
    Projects with industry -$19.2M
    Supported employment State grants -$28.2M
    Tech-Prep Education State Grants -$103M
    Smaller Learning Communities -$88M
    LEAP program -$64M
    Teacher Quality Partnerships -$43M Programs for BA Degrees in STEM and Critical Foreign Languages -$1.1M
    Programs for MA Degrees in STEM and Critical Foreign Languages -$1.1M

State and Foreign Operations:
    Contribution to the Clean Technology Fund -$300M

Transportation/Treasury/HUD:
    FRA High Speed Rail -$5B
    National Infrastructure Investments -$600M
    FTA Energy Efficiency Grants -$75M
    HUD Energy Innovation Fund -$50M

comments?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    yupp

Yeah I can't see cutting any of those programs being a good idea, even slashing the budget for them. But you know what's gonna happen places that need cuts the least are the ones that are going to get cut.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Oberon

I'm afraid that all of that together won't be enough in the long run. Check out this article, which breaks down some numbers for us.

Here's the money quote:

Even with these "plans" there will be over a trillion in interest expense by 2020. To put this in perspective that's about twenty-eight percent of all money spent this year by the government on everything combined. Put more-clearly, you could pay for all of Social Security or Medicare with that money and have over $200 billion left. You could pay for all other social spending (welfare, food stamps, SCHIP, etc) along with defense and be only short $100 billion.
    And, to cut to the chase...

That is why S&P downgraded. It's not that they didn't believe Treasury and Obama were trying to come up with a plan, or that the "Gang of Six" wasn't, or that Ryan wasn't.

Rather, it's because those plans, even if one of them gets done, won't fix the problem and won't prevent the downgrade and spiral into the ground.

Wake up folks. It really is that bad.
    The answer? We have to dig into defense and entitlements and raise taxes in order to make this right. In other words, the time for playing politics is long past. We've let this go so long that now everybody's going to get screwed.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Defense is what should really be cut. Not all of it course, but a significant amount.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Defense is what should really be cut. Not all of it course, but a significant amount.
    You're going to have to get past words like "should." We're beyond the point of figuring out what "should" be cut. If we're going to fix this problem and really fix it, not just pass it off to the next generation, defense will be cut, Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid will be cut, federal departmental budgets will be cut, and taxes will be raised.

We no longer have the luxury of political considerations.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    We no longer have the luxury of political considerations.
    I had a bit of a chuckle over this.

You will see that 'political considerations' (eg picking winners and losers in terms of funding) will continue and lead to minimal long term cuts of some areas such as the defence budget. If this budget is cut it will because there was a large and explicitly publicised change in such 'political considerations'.

On the other hand, you will be right in that there will be raised taxes.

With regards to the original post, although cuts of those programmes could lead to poorer outcomes, in the short term it is zero sum (and becomes negative sum if you impose substantial debt). You could in principle devise a whole bunch of other more beneficial programmes to compete for the budget. Where do we draw the line? Which is more important in terms of quality of life. For example, a space technology research programme or a larger NIH research budget. Or a war in Iraq vs quadrupling the NIH budget? Why has the government made those choices I wonder?

Smile The Enlightenment and the Seventh Fleet

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    Defense is what should really be cut.
    No, no, no, it is not in Australia's national interest for the USA to cut military spending.

For we are an outpost of Western civilization in the East.

The city of Darwin sticks up like a provocation into the soft underbelly of Asia.

We named Darwin after Charles Darwin, an avatar of the Enlightenment. But just across from Darwin the largest Muslim nation in the world is teaching Creationism to their school children. And slowly, province by province, Sharia is being adopted in Indonesia.

So across the Arafura Sea the Enlightenment of Darwin is facing the darkness of Creationism and the violence of Sharia. And the only thing standing between is the Seventh Fleet of the USA.

Fortunately for us, military spending is the flywheel of the US economy. And as long as the US economy keeps spinning, we can rely on the Seventh Fleet.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    No, no, no, it is not in Australia's national interest for the USA to cut military spending.
    It is in our interests for the USA to have a superior military to other economic powers. They can however cut spending significantly and still remain such. We are heavily reliant on the USA for many things including scientific and technological development, so there is a choice to be made.

The only country that would be capable of occupying Australia in the foreseeable future is China. I don't see it happening except as a resource grab. So it would be nice if western countries remain being able to pay their debts and continue trading with China..

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    I had a bit of a chuckle over this.

You will see that 'political considerations' (eg picking winners and losers in terms of funding) will continue and lead to minimal long term cuts of some areas such as the defence budget.
    I agree. I think that by far the mostly likely outcome is that the budget will not be balanced, the deficit will not be addressed, there will be a crisis, and the dollar will plummet in value. Essentially I believe that because we cannot wean ourselves off of political dithering, we will allow the country to go bust.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I agree. I think that by far the mostly likely outcome is that the budget will not be balanced, the deficit will not be addressed, there will be a crisis, and the dollar will plummet in value. Essentially I believe that because we cannot wean ourselves off of political dithering, we will allow the country to go bust.
    I dont believe its political dithering that's at fault but I do believe you are right in your forecast, the flexing of military muscle by NATO, the French (WTF?!) and other Eurozone nations in Libya and some of the African nations was evidence enough for me that the global balance of power was being rebalanced.