User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

As a U.S. citizen, I think that it is in our interests to cut defense spending drastically.
    It is a waste of our resources to have military bases all over the world when we have more than 50 million people without health insurance. Our infrastructure has been neglected for years. We have decaying bridges, ancient sewer systems, and train tracks between cities are in poor condition.
    So, after World War II, the United States advised Japan to cut out the militarism and to concentrate on its economy. Well, Japan did that.
    Maybe the United States needs to cut out the militarism and concentrate on its economy, too.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

We could cut defense a bit, that's for sure.

But first let's start with corporate welfare.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    So, after World War II, the United States advised Japan to cut out the militarism and to concentrate on its economy. Well, Japan did that.
    Maybe the United States needs to cut out the militarism and concentrate on its economy, too.
    Well from that time the US developed itself militarily and permitted everyone else to develop whatever way they wanted, ie social spending and public health services, perhaps that's changing but while its easy to be critical this arrangement has worked well for the world for a long time, I cant believe a world in which China, Russia or some Indo-Chinese alliance were military and cultural hegemons being any better.

I'm not convinced there needs to be cuts to be honest, at all, though I do think that there's got to be honest appraisals of what are realistically speaking forms of subsidised employment and allocative efficiency in a mixed economy were state and market fail left to their own devices to achieve the best outcomes with the money available to them.

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

We need to cut a lot and no area should be immune. Getting back to basics is a great idea.

I think we can completely cut the FDA - they are worthless in protecting consumers and overstep their bounds constantly. That alone will save us $2.3 billion a year!
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I am curious in a devils advocate way. Why do you think that cutting a defense by a large degree would be beneficial to the country ?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkingAboutIt View Post
    We need to cut a lot and no area should be immune. Getting back to basics is a great idea.

I think we can completely cut the FDA - they are worthless in protecting consumers and overstep their bounds constantly. That alone will save us $2.3 billion a year!
    Why? You say that like its obvious, save who 2.3 billion a year? Dont kid yourself, when they give the millionaires their tax breaks you're not going to notice a lot of difference on lower or middle incomes.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I am curious in a devils advocate way. Why do you think that cutting a defense by a large degree would be beneficial to the country ?
    Or even why would it be a good idea to take a lot of money out of circulation in the economy and instead let it rest in some off shore accounts of already very wealthy people.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I've stated before, I don't mind NOT getting a tax return. I never bank on that money.. that money is NICE to have, but I assume when the government gives it back to me, it is because they've taken what they needed out of it.

You're right, everyone will be screwed. But.. I'd like us to be temporarily screwed. In my eyes, making a plan that people can like, but not love, would be where we start. We need to know How much we are spending, on what, and why, EVERY YEAR, not just each year. We figure out what it takes to maintain this, or that, and we stick hard to that budget. The military could certainly use restraints--less bases in places we don't give a shit about anymore, and more concentration and effort in the areas it should be focused on. The military is absurd with the way they spend their money.. Does anyone know how much a sleeping bag system costs? It is absurd and nothing that nice civilian side would cost that much money. Everything about the army is like that. I think we spend a lot of frivilous money with it all... while soldiers are being promised things, and then never receiving them for one reason or another.

Based on my limited knowledge.. Here is what I think should be done.
    Look at everything, with professionals from each area of their fields, the top of their industries, and have them evaluate what is needed for the country (I.E. How to most efficiently handle health care, bridging the need for everyone to be covered while still creating competitive markets for healthcare developers, researchers, and pharmaceuticals), how they contribute (I.E. Do we need them for a few years while we recover, or can they be put on the side burners for a while?), and what they need to focus on. (For example: Actually finding a fuel source that WONT Cost more money than gasoline.. I'm looking at you E-85.)
    Create a number, based on all of that. "This is how much the country needs to survive." Make that number WORK.. As in. "After x years of hard sacrifice, we will only be in debt $??? dollars. That amount of money has been factored into the budget, and will be paid off in x years, and then we can start seeing tax returns and efforts again."
    Tax us based on that number. I don't care if the taxes are higher, if it means years and years later people aren't bitching about being bazillion dollars in debt. I don't care if I never get another tax return in my life, if it means people have health care, and people know they are taken care of when they retire.
    Make not paying your damn taxes or stealing from the government a REAL offense.. not something that shows up 10 years later with a " Puh-puh-puh pleease pay us $5,000." ... Offer free tax services, even if the taxes are not so easy to complete, to help make incentives to pay taxes properly.
    Don't give us tax returns, and temporarily slash and freeze things until we recover. Stop giving out so much shit that you cannot afford to give out. Whenever I am in debt, suddenly "fun things" go away.. It sucks, especially when I go "I REALLY would desire some new shoes.. these are falling apart." But do I REALLY need them? Not when I'm in debt I don't. When I'm out of debt, I'll need them for sure, but they'll tie over for now. To me, that is just plain old common sense.
    Doing some hard efforts for a few years could do a lot of good interest-wise and debt-wise. I wouldn't mind spending 10 years without tax returns and knowing things will be in a lull for a while, if it meant after 10 years Everything is ALWAYS going to be on track because people in the government are listening and working hard ALL THE TIME on maintaining that magic budget number.
    When we do recover to a point where everything is normal again... Don't slack off this time.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    INTp

United States, sorry. For cuts, I am talking about government spending. All government spending. Local, state and national. The FDA is federal though, and a completely worthless entity in my opinion. $2.3 billion is a lot of money we can put towards other things but there are many, many places we can cut dollars.

Yes, it can effect everyone and trickle down, if it is done right. On the local level, our county government cut their budget by $86 million last year. The only thing I noticed that it effected was that they didn't mow areas of the park as much. In a whole year that was the only effect I noticed! We are cutting another $60 million this year. My property taxes dropped 65%. This can be done on the local, state, and national level to save in every way.
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Short answer, defence budget is tricky, because what the name entails is more then just defence of the country.
    Proper term would be militairy spending, and theres allot of which is being wasted...budgets for bases you don't need or really want, wars that make things worse being faught, nation building, feeding the militairy industrial complex....
    It's service to an empire on an economic policy towards disaster.

Get quality and focus on just your country, and the US is much better off...and let others take care of themselves.