User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

So according to the former oldest man, Bush was the only bad president in America's history?

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Do you know the single biggest tip that seems to come up from centenarians is keep the mind active/keep working? Just a pattern I noticed.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalViolet View Post
    Do you know the single biggest tip that seems to come up from centenarians is keep the mind active/keep working? Just a pattern I noticed.
    It doesn't always work you know. My grandfather played music, did puzzles (such as sudoku) daily, had active commitments with clubs and community organisations, loved to research social issues. That didn't stop him from getting dementia at around 80.

Perhaps Centenarians are simply lucky enough to still retain their mind and the energy to use it?

MBTI
    INTP

A whole lot goes into making a very, very old human. So many factors have to align just to make it out of the womb, and they must keep aligning for another 114 years afterwards. To make it that far is very rare, to say the least.

MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I see no reason to live past 70. Then you're ugly and writhing in pain 24/7 in a wheelchair whilst you eat a bowl of pills sprinkled with prunes locked inside a hospice where you piss inside a bag attached to you.

Imagine 44 years of that. No way. The moment I lose independence, health and/or physical ability - just shoot me. No point of living like a breathing dying blob.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

COCKBURN:

http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post
    I see no reason to live past 70. Then you're ugly and writhing in pain 24/7 in a wheelchair whilst you eat a bowl of pills sprinkled with prunes locked inside a hospice where you piss inside a bag attached to you.
    You might be surprised to hear about the level of physical functioning of 90 year olds who end up living over 100. Your argument seems to be one against medical interventions for prolonging lifespans when the quality of life is low, rather than whether it is undesirable to die at a late age.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by mrcockburn View Post

Imagine 44 years of that. No way. The moment I lose independence, health and/or physical ability - just shoot me. No point of living like a breathing dying blob.
    I certaintly don't want to live a life constantly in pain or dependent on others for every little thing. I'd rather be dead too. But I don't think this necessarily happens to all older people and if it does happen, it may not be until well after age 708
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

What a great article! He sounds like quite a character- it would have been fun to meet him. He actually reminds me a little of my dad, the way he dressed up in a suit to sit beneath his "oldest living man" photo at the retirement home. My dad wants to live to be 100 and he likes to dress up, too. If he got to be the oldest living man I could definitely imagine him parking himself under a photo, and wearing a suit just like the guy in the article did.