User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: The TSA is Evil

MBTI
    INFP

You don't give up your liberty, you just don't. Not after centuries of bloodshed. Giving it away will inevitably lead to it being taken away, and the ones who don't understand this lesson from history quite rightly don't deserve liberty nor safety

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Provides some people with a false sense of security, the world is as unsafe as its always been but the US isnt getting that illusion of invulnerability back any time soon.
    ...but on the upside, we get to have our little children groped by nameless government flunkies?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    D'you think the random harrassment of people in airports as it's done in the US actually gains us any measure of security?

While they're confiscating Auntie's knitting needles in line 3, a test package with a brick of plastique is getting passed through the checkpoint down on line 1. It's absurd.
    what are the chances of that brick passing through undetected?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Provides some people with a false sense of security, the world is as unsafe as its always been but the US isnt getting that illusion of invulnerability back any time soon.
    I like this

you mean theatrical show showing we Care about your saftey LOL

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    D'you think the random harrassment of people in airports as it's done in the US actually gains us any measure of security?

While they're confiscating Auntie's knitting needles in line 3, a test package with a brick of plastique is getting passed through the checkpoint down on line 1. It's absurd.
    As I said before, security, or even the illusion of such, comes at the expense of losing some privacy and personal freedoms. They've been empowered with the ability to do such things because in exchange provide a sense of reassurance. Not to say I agree with their methods. Personally, I'm indifferent. But in the event these extreme methods did preemptively prevent some catastrophe from happening and produced some positive results, they'd stop being under such heavy scrutiny. Basically, they're the bad guys until they reveal the real bad guys.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    You don't give up your liberty, you just don't. Not after centuries of bloodshed. Giving it away will inevitably lead to it being taken away, and the ones who don't understand this lesson from history quite rightly don't deserve liberty nor safety
    Why do people who do not understand something deserve to have it taken from them? Should we strip food and televisions from the mentally retarded because they do not understand or value these things in the same way that you or I do?

I don't understand where this ridiculous notion came from, though it is repeatedly quoted. It's incredibly offensive and condescending, not to mention immoral.

I feel very strongly about this subject.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    What we interpret as liberty is never really in our control anyway. Our liberties are granted to us by the institution, which we have no ability to refute, thus they aren't liberties at all, but permissions. And trust me, they're taken away all the time under the guise of doing so for our own benefit; Giving up implies mutual consent in forfeiting those rights.

I think the greatest misconception is that rights are inalienable.

MBTI
    INFP

No claim has been made to their liberty and safety, they are not denied their right...it's that they don't deserve it.

MBTI
    INFP

The US constitution is written more in the manner of that the institution is limited at doing. Liberties are not granted, they are asserted as natural law and written as such.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    what are the chances of that brick passing through undetected?
    Potentially as high as 75%, if this article is any indication.