Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    Yea, I think that kind of thinking would`nt work if we still lived in tribes in an uncivilized savage world. looking out for your fellow tribal member ensured survival of the group and prosperity right? LOL if people back then had this kind of thinking, i wonder how things would have turned out.

that philosophy All of a sudden now, just seems like its intended to keep people where they are at to some extent.

at the same time, it would force people to be more conscious of their choices, but what does scarcity cause?
    I'd say the human race would have died out. Her philosophy actually goes against natural laws.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Thisica View Post
    I have heard a bit recently about Rand, especially in the United States after the 2007-8 financial crisis. As I don't know much about her ideas: what sort of ideas coming from her are particularly attractive to people?
    Rand was a big-picture conceptual writer of speculative fiction, with an awful tin ear for dialogue and a shriveled, desiccated sense of charity and basic human decency.

She also made a few very apt observations of the human condition, and explored their ramifications in a couple of pieces of literature worth noting, chiefly the novel Atlas Shrugged.

Among the truths that Rand observed are the following:

• Every economy has its net producers and net consumers.
    • The relative health of every economy (and by extension, every society) depends on the net producers being able to meet the economic demands of the society, including covering the shortfalls created by the net consumers.
    • When the marginal return for a net producer's output is diminished, that producer becomes correspondingly less willing to produce.

I think Rand made some astute observations, and I consider her ideological positions fundamentally crap. I'd make a lousy Objectivist. On the other hand, in observing the current US economy in action, particularly with regard to the Federal budget, Treasury, and the Federal Reserve, you can see Randian factors at play in real life.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Her philosophy actually goes against natural laws.
    Such as?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Such as?
    Such as, let's throw Ayn Rand or some of her followers into the rain forest, or the wilds of Africa alone with no tribe and see if they make it.

Oberon

Such as, let's throw Ayn Rand or some of her followers into the rain forest, or the wilds of Africa alone with no tribe and see if they make it.
    Marm, you're trying to Ti with your Fe again. Nick was wondering which natural laws you thought Rand wasn't taking into account. I'm not a particular fan of Rand, but I am interested in your answer to this question.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Marm, you're trying to Ti with your Fe again. Nick was wondering which natural laws you thought Rand wasn't taking into account. I'm not a particular fan of Rand, but I am interested in your answer to this question.
    I'm trying to Ti with my Fe? Remind me to never trust you to type anyone.

Rand's theory only works in industrialized nations.

Oberon

I'm trying to Ti with my Fe? Remind me to never trust you to type anyone.
    I was being goofy on purpose, Marmie Dearest! But consider me an incompetent student of MBTI if you must. I've been called worse... and truthfully so.

So were you planning on actually naming a "natural law" that Rand didn't respect?

I was being goofy on purpose, Marmie Dearest! But consider me an incompetent student of MBTI if you must. I've been called worse... and truthfully so.

So were you planning on actually naming a "natural law" that Rand didn't respect?
    I'd say superficially it looks like she discards empathy. I think it can be agreed that empathic bonds between members of a society are part of what bind us together as a group-our own emotions force us to take care of each other, even to our own detriment. Is empathy a law of nature? Errr...

Anyways, she doesnt really get rid of empathy but just the part that is more Fe sounding. As can be seen from quotes in the thread she stressed individuality, thus as an individual I can choose to help another of my own free will, without it being obligated as a government mandate.

Or something like that...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well for starters, she thought environmentalism was oppositional to technology, and therefore oppositional to man's well-being.

Man came from nature, needs fresh air, clean water, and other natural conditions for adequate survival. Yes, she totally ignored that. Her over-emphasis on self-interest also ignored the fact that humans are social creatures which need one another, and in a more naturalistic environment, that need increases. Hence, I don't know that she would have fared well on the African plains, solitary and free.

Are we talking about the natural laws of Aquinas? Well, yes, surely she ignored those, as she did not share his beliefs. She also hated Kant (another philosopher to integrate natural law into his philosophy)...

Are you asking me to say she ignored gravity or some such? Well of course not.

In any event, I believe Einstein - prize winning physicist - was more intelligent than she: "A human being is a part of a whole, called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest... a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty."

Oberon

Are you asking me to say she ignored gravity or some such?
    You said this:

I'd say the human race would have died out. Her philosophy actually goes against natural laws.
    ...so I really had NO idea what you meant by "natural laws." I didn't figure you meant gravity and so on, but I was hoping you'd follow up and clarify.

Which you did, so thanks.