First 67891018 Last

Thread: Ayn Rand

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx-LpRSbbeA"]Ayn Rand on Donahue 1979 (1/5)[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWoap2bzi4"]Ayn Rand on Donahue 1979 (2/5)[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6jkQKAv13A"]Ayn Rand on Donahue 1979 (3/5)[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VzdkXm5Ies"]Ayn Rand on Donahue 1979 (4/5)[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNNQkBMiD4Y"]Ayn Rand on Donahue 1979 (5/5)[/YOUTUBE]

Burn her!! Burn the witch!! Dont let her witchcraft poison you!!!

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Yeah, I already admitted I'm probably wrong in the post. No need to be all dickish and sarcastic.
    I didnt mean it to seem sarcastic, although were did you get the word "dickish" from?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Taking good, giving bad.

Rich good, working poor bad.

Rich smart, everyone else dependent ungrateful dumbass.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    None of those quotes imply any inherent worth in human beings,
    Why is that problematic? There IS nothing inherently valuable about humans. What matters is what they do, not what they are. Would you value the life of a serial killer over that of a faithful pet?

More to the point, none of those quotes says actively defrauding or hurting another is bad.
    Engaging in those activities will cause others to hate and distrust you. Since that is detrimental to your rational self interest, you should not do it.
    Again I bring up Goldman-Sachs. They purposely defrauded not only the worldwide financial system (in conjunction with other organizations) but purposely sold shit stocks to their own clients to bet against themselves. The result of these actions was a worldwide financial meltdown that meant a lot of people struggling and sacrificing livelihood. Is there absolutely anything wrong with this from the Randian standpoint?
    Nothing is absolutely right or wrong. But if you screw people over, they might lynch you.

I love reason as much as the next guy (probably more, honestly, I can agree with Rand in loving reason over pretty much anything else),
    but reason without restraint from some form of feeling or intentional compromise is 100% immoral.
    Didn't you just say you love reason above all else? This statement contradicts that claim.

The only exception is the Kantian view, and Rand thought he was the worst person to ever live (again, the fact that Kant is worse than Hitler in her view keys me to the fact that actions are only evil or good if the help or hurt the person doing them) I doubt she sees it that way.
    Again, why is that problematic? Can you prove that your values are the absolute truth?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Why is that problematic? There IS nothing inherently valuable about humans. What matters is what they do, not what they are. Would you value the life of a serial killer over that of a faithful pet?

Engaging in those activities will cause others to hate and distrust you. Since that is detrimental to your rational self interest, you should not do it.

Nothing is absolutely right or wrong. But if you screw people over, they might lynch you.

Didn't you just say you love reason above all else? This statement contradicts that claim.

Again, why is that problematic? Can you prove that your values are the absolute truth?
    This is all a relativistic nightmare.

I doubt that Rand was actually that pragmatic or relativistic in her outlook.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This is all a relativistic nightmare.

I doubt that Rand was actually that pragmatic or relativistic in her outlook.
    Absolute values are completely unnecessary. All you need is for a group to agree on a common framework for cooperating with each other.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Absolute values are completely unnecessary. All you need is for a group to agree on a common framework for cooperating with each other.
    This sounds like Fe.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    This sounds like Fe.
    Perhaps Te also. Cooperation enhances people's ability to pursue their own interests.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Yea, I think that kind of thinking would`nt work if we still lived in tribes in an uncivilized savage world. looking out for your fellow tribal member ensured survival of the group and prosperity right? LOL if people back then had this kind of thinking, i wonder how things would have turned out.

that philosophy All of a sudden now, just seems like its intended to keep people where they are at to some extent.

at the same time, it would force people to be more conscious of their choices, but what does scarcity cause?

MBTI
    INFP

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ukJiBZ8_4k"]Ayn Rand Mike Wallace Interview 1959 part 1[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMTDaVpBPR0"]Ayn Rand Mike Wallace Interview 1959 part 2[/YOUTUBE]