User Tag List

First 12202122

Thread: Ayn Rand

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I believing thinking and the mind are important. But I believe Rand conflates many different things. I have found that those who spend a lot of time thinking, but has some sort of objectivist bent, lacks the mental flexibility to use alternate formal frameworks that reach the same ends. I think one "cure" to objectivism, is to work on writing software that has many different programmers being worked on at the same time.

Self interest and preservation is important, but elevating greed to a virtue is ridiculous.

I wish people would actually "go Galt."

If this actually happened: http://amberandchaos.com/?page_id=106

I would simply respond, "Good riddance." The only ways society would miss a person such as Galt, are in the ways he violated his own so-called "morality" and so-called "reason".

But we'd quickly replace the value of such people, since much of what they consider moral acts to suck(at high rates) resources from society.

Go away Galt. We don't want you.

the world is not going to spin off its axis if galt left and i sure as hell would never follow such a selfish person.
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I believing thinking and the mind are important. But I believe Rand conflates many different things. I have found that those who spend a lot of time thinking, but has some sort of objectivist bent, lacks the mental flexibility to use alternate formal frameworks that reach the same ends. I think one "cure" to objectivism, is to work on writing software that has many different programmers being worked on at the same time.

Self interest and preservation are important, but elevating greed to a virtue is ridiculous.

I wish people would actually "go Galt."

If this actually happened: http://amberandchaos.com/?page_id=106

I would simply respond, "Good riddance." The only ways society would miss a person such as Galt, are in the ways he violated his own so-called "morality" and so-called "reason".

But we'd quickly replace the value of such people, since much of what they consider moral acts to suck(at high rates) resources from society.

Go away Galt. We don't want you.

I realize that Galt seems fairly reasonable in his abstract arguments. But his specific interpretations are the issue.
    A static-electricity motor is thoroughly unmarketable anyway, simply because you can't hook a meter up to it. So it would be quite impractical and worthless from capitalism's viewpoint.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

id really like to have a real discussion on this
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    id really like to have a real discussion on this
    Really? Well "the world is not going to spin off its axis if galt left and i sure as hell would never follow such a selfish person" doesn't make it sound like you read the book. So how can you discuss that issue?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”