User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Thread: Ayn Rand

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Hot sex is objectively better than getting beheaded with a dull knife.
    Do you know what happens after death?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    But you didn't say that, did you? You implied that the ONLY reason one would read Rand is "if you're a rich person or love rich people and would like to hear again why everyone else should love them and do their will" and this is simply not true. It's one thing to discuss why you disagree with her ideas, and quite another to throw out some umbrella statement like that. Did you read her based on those pretenses?
    Dude, just... no. He didn't imply that this was the only reason. He pretty much said straight up that this was the only reason where the ego-stroking of Rand's work had any tangible justification whatsoever. Now, if you know the rest of his work, you'd realize that to him, tangible justifications are entirely bullshit. Yes, and I do mean that Rand's writings are entirely bullshit. Sorry.

If I'm wrong, then tell me how you enforce these beliefs.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Dude, just... no. He didn't imply that this was the only reason. He pretty much said straight up that this was the only reason where the ego-stroking of Rand's work had any tangible justification whatsoever. Now, if you know the rest of his work, you'd realize that to him, tangible justifications are entirely bullshit. Yes, and I do mean that Rand's writings are entirely bullshit. Sorry.
    Well, I think there is a little narcissism to Randian objectivists. They all fancy themselves John Galts, when the fact is one in a million actually is and only one in a thousand even has the potential to be (in part, but not entirely, because the real John Galts have a system rigged to ensure their dominance). Most of us, and even the Randian us, are a little more what she would consider the parasitic, I would imagine.

Law of averages says that when you ask who John Galt is, chances are it ain't you.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Well, I think there is a little narcissism to Randian objectivists. They all fancy themselves John Galts, when the fact is one in a million actually is and only one in a thousand even has the potential to be (in part, but not entirely, because the real John Galts have a system rigged to ensure their dominance).
    Dear god, so true.

This is really the problem. These people are considering themselves superior weiners winners, and that's not really what it's about. Societal structure, opportunity, luck, etc. all have so much to do with it. I have a hard time taking anyone seriously who doesn't realize it.

It's totally cool to believe in bettering yourself, and to believe in personal responsibility. Sure, I'll agree with that. But the rest of it...yeah, no.

That I like.

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    But you didn't say that, did you? You implied that the ONLY reason one would read Rand is "if you're a rich person or love rich people and would like to hear again why everyone else should love them and do their will" and this is simply not true. It's one thing to discuss why you disagree with her ideas, and quite another to throw out some umbrella statement like that. Did you read her based on those pretenses?
    I did say that but you're twisting my words, you guys discuss about as good as Rand writes novels, that is precisely what I wrote but and its also precisely what I meant, it isnt however the only reason why you'd read them, you could because your an anthropologist or like to study capitalist nerds for some other reason but its probably the best reason so far as I can see. Would I read them on this basis? No, I'm trying to save people time by telling them that so they wont waste the effort like I did.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Get out of here!! Attempting to frame the debate and load the deck like that, perhaps when I was seventeen I'd have found those tactics a little less obvious demanding a response. Its obvious I'm not telling people not to explore things, I simply telling them not to be naive or a sucker. Equally I dont demand anything, I'm just going to be as dismissive and disdainful of it as you are of my view, you know, considering my "socio-religious leanings" and all.

Ayn Rand thread: Topic, discuss Ayn Rand.

Lark: Stop discussing Ayn Rand shes an authoritarian capitalist. She is the devil.

Not excluding the right to an open and honest debate? Think about it dude.

I'm not saying Ayn Rand is right, but I would recommend that people at least think about her opinions, not that they don't pick up her book and read. Her books are boring, but they have a point. Most books in the 50's and 60's were boring anyway. Have you ever tried to read Lord of Rings? Man I'm a Sci-fi Fantasy book nerd. But hell, those books were pure torture.

Ayn Rands objectivism was more about being personally responsible and not looking to the community to solve your woes. If you want more, be more productive, it's a good way to be. That's something I can live with. With regards to Atlas Shrugged it's really just looking at what eventually happens when a society perpetually redistributes wealth from those who are productive (not rich) to those who are unproductive. Viewing it as a rich vs poor argument is bad karma and an injustice.

No, it is not.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    No, it is not.
    Indeed, one could be suicidal and have an extreme cold fetish.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    .... I'm trying to save people time by telling them that so they wont waste the effort like I did.
    What a person gets out of an experience is a function of their own psychology, rather than a function of the experience. So, for you reading Ayn Rand was a waste of time, which says more about you than Rand's work.

I remember having to read the Communist Manifesto for a class. I already knew the basics of the philosophy, but I read it with curiosity. As a result, I have a better understanding of why this philosophy is attractive to some, even though I can see why it fails. It fails, just like every other philosophy on human nature, because its built on assumptions about human nature that humans readily violate. However, that does not make the entire work worthless. The book draws attentions to some major problems found within societies, and for that it is good.

I found Rand's ideas on altruism and personal happiness thought provoking. Additionally, when her ideas are delivered in a different vehicle, they are widely accepted. For example, I often glance at the covers of magazines while in a check-out line. Those magazines offer helpful advice on personal happiness. Such as, meeting your own needs before you meet the needs of others, and how to find a career that you will love. Why are these types of articles so prevalent? Why are so many people unhappy with their lives? My guess is that these people have lived their lives doing what they are “suppose to do”, rather than what they want to do.