User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Thread: Ayn Rand

MBTI
    IsFJ

OOC, was Rand an Enneatype One?

Quote Originally Posted by Huxley3112 View Post
    In essence, Rands philosophy is the concept of a man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productivity and achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute.

Everyones idea of heroic being, happiness, moral purpose, achievement, and reason, varies. I wouldn't rely on forum comments to decide how you think or feel about these things. Read the books.

To be honest that description of Rand is bizarre, if you're looking for heroes and badassitude you'd be better reading either Badass or Badass: Birth of a Legend than Atlas Shrugged or Fountainhead, on the other hand if you're a rich person or love rich people and would like to hear again why everyone else should love them and do their will then check Rand right out why dont you.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    To be honest that description of Rand is bizarre, if you're looking for heroes and badassitude you'd be better reading either Badass or Badass: Birth of a Legend than Atlas Shrugged or Fountainhead, on the other hand if you're a rich person or love rich people and would like to hear again why everyone else should love them and do their will then check Rand right out why dont you.
    /thread

Banned

Are we really in the business of telling others not to explore for themselves and actually excluding their right to opinion now? Just postulating why you may dislike Rand -for your own absolute moralist reasons- considering your socio-religious leanings, so much you can't help but demand others don't even consider her opinions as worth listening to (a truly abhorrent opinion to me).

Perhaps we should consider that different folks/different strokes.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    Of course Rand was too, when you get down to it. Just who's hand-waving justification you happen to prefer seems to be a matter of opinion.
    Well, I'm not a Kantian nor a Randian.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Viridian View Post
    OOC, was Rand an Enneatype One?
    Lord I hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Well, I'm not a Kantian nor a Randian.
    Yes, that exchange ruffled me. I rather dislike both of them.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleJim View Post
    Are we really in the business of telling others not to explore for themselves and actually excluding their right to opinion now? Just postulating why you may dislike Rand -for your own absolute moralist reasons- considering your socio-religious leanings, so much you can't help but demand others don't even consider her opinions as worth listening to (a truly abhorrent opinion to me).

Perhaps we should consider that different folks/different strokes.
    Get out of here!! Attempting to frame the debate and load the deck like that, perhaps when I was seventeen I'd have found those tactics a little less obvious demanding a response. Its obvious I'm not telling people not to explore things, I simply telling them not to be naive or a sucker. Equally I dont demand anything, I'm just going to be as dismissive and disdainful of it as you are of my view, you know, considering my "socio-religious leanings" and all.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    There is no such thing as "objectively better".
    Hot sex is objectively better than getting beheaded with a dull knife.

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Its obvious I'm not telling people not to explore things, I simply telling them not to be naive or a sucker
    But you didn't say that, did you? You implied that the ONLY reason one would read Rand is "if you're a rich person or love rich people and would like to hear again why everyone else should love them and do their will" and this is simply not true. It's one thing to discuss why you disagree with her ideas, and quite another to throw out some umbrella statement like that. Did you read her based on those pretenses?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts