User Tag List

First 41213141516 Last

Thread: Ayn Rand

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    I'd like to add to my last post: Not_Me, you used serial killers vs a faithful dog as an example of life not being inherent of value. But that argument doesn't make sense. Even in the argument, you condemn serial killers, people who feel life is has no inherent value. Basically, they agree with something you believe to be true. How is that a negative?
    What serial killers believe is of no concern to me. What matters is their action.

(based on a philosophy that basically says killing is always always always wrong, about as far from a serial killer or genocidal maniac as possible).
    Kant asserted that killing is always wrong? That's a preposterous position. No wonder Rand wanted to dismember him.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Rand perhaps does not value what you consider to be love, but love is subjective enough to defy a single, common definition. I think she would want a mother in such a dire situation to be free to take the course of action she thought best. Many people consider survival of one's offspring to be in one's own interests. Protecting one's own children is not generally included in the scope of altruism for this reason. Another of Rand's quotes that I can't find right now says essentially that she would give up her life for another, but not let the other tell her how to live her life while still alive.
    And that's essentially the problem I have with Objectivism - it replaces observation with rationalization. The problem with the whole "survival of offspring" argument is that it makes no sense from a rational perspective. Your genes only stand half the chance of survival if your offspring lives than they do if you live, unless you're a woman past reproductive age. Still, you get past this rationalization, because our genes are programmed that way.

WTL may stand out as an early work among Rand's writings, but in her 1950's preface, she indicates that she is still well-pleased with what she managed to communicate in the novel, notwithstanding her relative lack of experience as a writer at the time.
    Yeah, because she hacked it to shreds before the reprint to make it more ideologically pure.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Rand, an emigrant from Lenin's Soviet Union, would likely slap you if you had said that in her presence.
    Anyone slaps me is going to have to be ready for a follow up, especially if its for speaking my mind.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Anyone slaps me is going to have to be ready for a follow up, especially if its for speaking my mind.
    If 'speaking your mind' means lying through your teeth, then the fight's on.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

If 'speaking your mind' means lying through your teeth, then the fight's on.
    *adopts glasgow accent* Hey Pal, you calling me a liar?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    *adopts glasgow accent* Hey Pal, you calling me a liar?
    Nope. I would if I thought you were a liar, but I don't.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Nope. I would if I thought you were a liar, but I don't.
    Well, Rand's not heard of the whole non-aggression/instigate no aggression thing which was in vogue among libertarians a while ago if she would have gone around slapping people for their opinions.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Not_Me View Post
    Kant asserted that killing is always wrong? That's a preposterous position. No wonder Rand wanted to dismember him.
    Why's that? The position that at times, killing is not wrong, or that killing is never wrong, are both equally preposterous.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Why's that? The position that at times, killing is not wrong, or that killing is never wrong, are both equally preposterous.
    What is even meant by "always wrong"? From a practical perspective, it is blatantly obvious that killing will often produce an objectively better outcome than the alternative.

Banned

Controversial Opinion

I like Ayn Rands philosophies. There is something sensible and noble about 'support thine self'.