User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Default Possible Shutdown of Government in United States - Effects on Troops

Okay, I'm livid. This very rarely happens as I tend to stay moderately uninvolved in politics (even if it is my major), but never before have I wanted to kick some ass.

For those of you who are unaware, the US government has apparently lost their minds and are seriously contemplating shutting down Congress. This article explains it well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/07/us...7shutdown.html

I was not even aware this was a possibility even though apparently is happened in 1995 shutting down for twenty-one days or so. There are several side effects this is going to have but the number one I have a problem with if this happens is the pay of soldiers will be suspended. Whether or not it's because my significant other is a soldier or not - this pisses me off. Although they are still being "paid", their checks will be much delayed until it picks up back up again and finances can be passed through Congress. WTF?!

Thoughts please.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Uh, they're not just shutting down Congress. They're shutting down everything.

I work for the SSA in the IT field, and right now we're preparing for furlough after Friday unless these twits get off their asses and make something happen. I also discovered that, although people did get backpay for the furlough time in 1995, it's up to Congress to decide whether I'll get paid for my mandatory vacation, and after all the crazy crap that's been going on, part of me is afraid I'll be out of work w/o pay for a bit... and I can't afford that. Not at all. It's going to create ANOTHER hit in the economy.

Really, REALLY frustrating...

As far as military? I think essential military will stay on and they will get their backpay for sure, but no one can really be paid during the time everything is shut down. (If the US Treasury gets shut down, who can cut checks? SSA checks do still go out, but a lot of other stuff grinds to a halt.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Hear-say abounds.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...?iref=obinsite
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...om-the-budget/

The debt was, like what, an accumulation of more than 100 years of not doing enough squat to keep it down. Now the tea party wants the republican party to agree to the demands of some big cuts with no tax or shut down the government. And the republican party is willing to go along with them. I do not want an all cuts bill nor do I want an all tax bill. I want both and I don't want it to be, in any shape or form, an Armageddon Bill in which these people are doing. Hell, I don't think most of the people even know that even if we cut social security and medicare, these old folks still get it until the bill takes effect. To hell with that, if they are going to cut medicare and social security, NO ONE under 66 (who aren't turning 66) at the moment they sign that type of bill should not receive these benefits any benefits at all (this means anyone currently 65-55 who still may receive those benefits while the bill takes effect.)

It is sort of like the situation in California, the republicans are keeping a tax bill for a vote of the people(half of the debt has been signed along the lines of cuts, the other was to put some taxes for people to vote to close the other half of the debt) because their (often getting more extreme) demands aren't being met. Hence the name, party of no for the likes of the republicans in this state.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Uh, they're not just shutting down Congress. They're shutting down everything.

I work for the SSA in the IT field, and right now we're preparing for furlough after Friday unless these twits get off their asses and make something happen. I also discovered that, although people did get backpay for the furlough time in 1995, it's up to Congress to decide whether I'll get paid for my mandatory vacation, and after all the crazy crap that's been going on, part of me is afraid I'll be out of work w/o pay for a bit... and I can't afford that. Not at all. It's going to create ANOTHER hit in the economy.

Really, REALLY frustrating...

As far as military? I think essential military will stay on and they will get their backpay for sure, but no one can really be paid during the time everything is shut down. (If the US Treasury gets shut down, who can cut checks? SSA checks do still go out, but a lot of other stuff grinds to a halt.)
    I imagine it would be. I can't believe they are closing down museums and parks as well. It seems all rather strange to me. I wasn't old enough in '95 to know anything about it as well as a lot of my peers. This came as a huge shock to us, not a single person in my 400+ lecture really knew what to say about the idea of it. If it has shut down before that (I'm really unaware about this, clearly), but how long has it generally stayed "shut down" ?

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Yeah, fuck the government. I seriously can't beleive that the idea to shut down the government would even become a reality.

Just read the article, soooooooo most things aren't going to be immediatly effected? I dunno, either way the people within the government really need to get thier act together; the idea that the government is shutting down is not a good thing.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Now would be an awesome time for some crazy who usually inappropriately massacres children at schools or old people at churches to take advantage of the Tea Party's simultaneous demands for looser firearms restrictions and demands for government shut down, and open fire on their asses.

I don't think these fucktards realize it could come to that. Sure! Shut down government unless you get deep government cuts! Loosen fire arms restrictions! Just wait for all of the poor people to come shoot you and burn down your 5 million dollar houses. It's cool.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm honestly wondering if these people want a civil war. The rest of the world must think our country is full of complete morons.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The immediate effect of this isn't too bad. Depending on how long it could last, though, it may be serious business.

What can you do? I am so appalled with the Republican budget proposal that I think the government would have to be shutdown a long time for the damage to equal what would be done by accepting their plan. The current situation is not as favorable to the Democrats as it was in 1995, but never the less, when the Republicans did it then it hurt them far more than it hurt the president. I'll cross my fingers for a repeat.
    Go to sleep, iguana.