First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    EDIT: Furthermore, I don't believe progressive taxes remove incentive to work so long as the progression does not out-pace the increase in income itself, and that it never reaches 100%. As long as you can get paid more, you have incentive. And I will point out that people in the top 1% would be pocketing a pretty sum of money if if they were taxed 90%. Aside from that, I don't believe hard work and getting rich correlate that much anyway, so I think the affect a progressive tax would have on that is negligible compared to the benefits. It's almost guaranteed that in the near future I will get a job that pays $13.47 an hour full time for screwing around with files in an office. That salary, even adjusting for inflation, is more than my father ever made in his life, and he supported four children and a wife. He worked in a lumberyard for most of his work history. The job I'm going to get is no where near as hard as his was, and he frequently worked over time
    I'm not completely sure. Being self-employed, I have sometimes found myself as having to stop any kind of work towards the end of the 3-months period here we generally use for computing subyearly taxated income, because I was approaching another bracket. Since in my own personal case the amount of money I get paid for one hour of work is always more or less the same, progressive taxation is effectively a tax on my willingness to work harder. Sure, I could try to change my payment in such a way to better distribute any potential for excess taxation past a certain amount of hours, yet:
    - It's hard to know beforehand exactly how much time I will work
    - Old clients wouldn't appreciate a price rise, neither would "marginal" new clients

so at the end of the day I have to bear the burden, basically.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I mean, that ass who proposed the 4 trillion dollar cut also wants to lower income taxes on top earners to 25%. I find it hard to believe he actually thinks he's doing something good for the entire nation.
    Agreed. It seems rather bizarre to the rest of us, given the context.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Could you say the same of any moderate Democrats?
    Yes. In fact, I find that there are respectable people in nearly the entire span of the political spectrum. I am by no means assured that I have the God-given corner on the truth where politics is concerned; the best I can do is to have a belief system that is coherent and self-consistent, and my political beliefs are a piece of that.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

... well...

Our agency is in full mobilization for the impending furlough.
    I have received all the info I need to manage myself until the "crisis" ends.

None of us are "excepted" employees -- even our division director, who made that call. (And, admittedly, I do agree with that decision; no one in our department is doing critical tasks, we're all just developing software for future release.)

Which means all of us are staying at home as of Monday and onwards, indefinitely, possibly without any compensation pay, if there is no resolution to the budget situation. I'd probably feel better if Congress would dock themselves a paycheck until they resolve the problem causing me problems, but I doubt that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Are you familiar with fungibility? Every dollar Planned Parenthood gets for pap smears from the federal government means that another dollar received from another source is freed up to be spent on abortion.
    That's nice, but they shouldn't be trying to enact solutions to issues that normally should be resolved through the legislative process through the back-door budget route. From my outside view, it doesn't seem a lot different than that Republican shit in Michigan (?) where the governor was trying to establish rules for taking over entire towns and jettisoning the locally elected officials if he himself declared there was a 'fiscal crisis' (how convenient), or the way that the Republicans in Wisconsin circumvented their inability to get quorum and now had essentially had their sleight-of-hand resolution hung up by the presiding judge.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I've decided that Congress really is full of greedy morons, all of them need to be fired and sent onto the street. Every. Single. ONE.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I'm honestly wondering if these people want a civil war. The rest of the world must think our country is full of complete morons.
    It is. But we aren't supposed to care about what others think of us. Chin up, Marm.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Since in my own personal case the amount of money I get paid for one hour of work is always more or less the same, progressive taxation is effectively a tax on my willingness to work harder.
    The question is : How many of those in the tier where the tax is being reduced from 35% to 25% fits into this scenario and makes their money this way? Is it a big enough number to justify the cut?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...res-a-shutdown

Well at least there is that. Too bad he can't take his pay and put it elsewhere that is more needed.
    Oh I dunno, how about all the soldiers and their families?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Are you familiar with fungibility?

Every dollar Planned Parenthood gets for pap smears from the federal government means that another dollar received from another source is freed up to be spent on abortion.
    Oh, so women shouldn't get pap smears and birth control pills? I've actually gone to Planned Parenthood in the past to receive care for the possibility of pre-cancerous cells on my cervix when I wasn't even on birth control pills. I've also never had an abortion.

So yes, Planned Parenthood is just an abortion factory, a bastion of immorality that does no other good in the community. And FTR, it isn't totally free, either. If you need any sort of surgery it costs some money.