User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I believe architectonic meant the long term unemployed are ultimately that way because they either have untreated/untreatable medical conditions or are unable to acquire the skills to gain and sustain employment. The 2nd sentence is about those who have treatable conditions but don't have the money to fix it. That's where having Medicare helps
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    I believe architectonic meant the long term unemployed are ultimately that way because they either have untreated/untreatable medical conditions or are unable to acquire the skills to gain and sustain employment. The 2nd sentence is about those who have treatable conditions but don't have the money to fix it. That's where having Medicare helps
    Okay - I see. I'm all for giving people training to help them if they're capable of working, but I thought he was suggesting that people with untreatable medical conditions should just buck up and go work down at the factory. I was at a total loss, especially in time when many healthy, able-bodied people are unemployed.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh...latest news update. Republicans are trying to make this about "the troops." How sad that they're still attempting to abuse that tired old propaganda.

Why don't they just be honest? Why don't they say "Our morality is individualism. Under our morality we feel that the rich have a right to not pay taxes if they don't want to, and we morally prefer to protect the interests of big business. We like to spend money too, just on things like war, and propping up corporations. We disagree with your morality, liberals, that we are a united people who should live together in a cohesive society who thinks about the greater concern of all citizens, not just white Christians and the wealthy."

The troops. The fucking troops. Somebody should seriously punch Boehner. It's a fucking pathetic piece of propaganda used to shield their real agenda.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

P.S. I have nothing against the troops and appreciate their service, and one of the things that made me mad is that the soldiers in war zones would be deprived of a week's pay.

It's just that Boehner is now using that as a piece of propaganda sensationalism so that he doesn't have to compromise on the huge ridiculous cuts they're pushing, even after the Democrats ALREADY compromised with them.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    If they're threatening people, I think they should be even less respected than they already are.
    No, that would be the Wisconsin union activists.

It takes two to tango, and its the Democrats who are rejecting a one-week stop-gap while negotiations are ongoing. They are doing so in hopes that a shut-down occurs, which they can then blame on the Republicans 'extremists' who are currently trying to cut less than a measely 5% of discretionary spending in the midst of a fiscal emergency.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post

It takes two to tango, and its the Democrats who are rejecting a one-week stop-gap while negotiations are ongoing. They are doing so in hopes that a shut-down occurs, which they can then blame on the Republicans 'extremists' who are currently trying to cut less than a measely 5% of discretionary spending in the midst of a fiscal emergency.
    You say it takes two to tango and mention the Democrats rejecting a one-week-stop-gap while negotiations are ongoing.... Yet, you mention Wisconsin's union activists before that statement. Did they tango in Wisconsin or did the Republican's all but tell the Democrats that it was their way or no way? Both sides are being very stubborn right now, it's not just one sided at this point.

Personally, if it was anything other than a government shut down, I'd be happy for the Democrats....considering it seems they've finally found their backbone. And no, I'm not a Democrat, nor a Republican.

Hostage taking is a pathetic way to run government or business.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    In the end it's all a high-stake poker game of politics. Both sides could see this coming and both waited to score the most points. The question is whether they've both overplayed their hand and can no longer back down and compromise.

Serious economic question. Can there be a sensible plan from either party to both reduce debt and reduce unemployment in the near future?
    I have an answer! No. It's basically a dilemma. You pick one to fix now and try to deal with the other afterward. I'm personally more concerned with the lack of jobs + slow growth than I am the deficit.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post

No, these people are extremists because they want to change the entire system for their own pet moral causes. I've even had discussions with educated libertarians who think the Tea Partiers are douchebags, and these are typically the people who morally espouse smaller government. The teabagging crew really are extremists. Wanting unions is neither extreme, nor revolutionary. It simply differs from your world view.

I actually respect some moderate Republicans. I mentioned Condeleeza Rice in an earlier thread, because she's quite moderate and diplomatic, she isn't extremist, and she doesn't take issue with gays, nor would she ever participate in shutting down the government just to prove a point about anti-abortionist beliefs, since she's got moderate views on that subject as well...she thinks abortion should stay legal, but that later term abortions should be outlawed.

Of course, she's also an exceptionally intelligent and educated individual.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    I actually respect some moderate Republicans.
    Well God bless you, Marm... God bless you.

[rolls eyes]