User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Well I just can't imagine it's going to be a very safe thing to do.

AT ALL. O_______O God help us if it does.
    But perhaps I am just being too pessimistic.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well hopefully the more intelligent, sane, moderate people on both sides - yes those people do exist on both sides - can come to a reasonable compromise.

The thing is, if the Republican party keeps getting pressured by these extremists, then things could go bad.

And what these fuckers don't realize is that the people who were previously kept complacent by their minimum wage and dollar cheeseburgers and food stamps and other federal programs (like Social Security for the elderly) will surely become more savage if they start to suffer. When things like that happen, people become violent and chaos ensues.

The reason why things like that usually don't happen in America is because of the current set up. People think they'll just make all these cuts and it will be business as usual. Idiots.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: After weeks of negotiations, we've now agreed to cut as much spending as the Republicans in Congress originally asked for.

So we've agreed to a compromise, but somehow we still don't have a deal, because some folks are trying to inject politics in what should be a simple debate about how to pay our bills.
    I am confused. If the Democrats DID compromise, why is there still a problem?! So. Dumb.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Vie View Post
    I am confused. If the Democrats DID compromise, why is there still a problem?! So. Dumb.
    It keeps moving back. The focus is now shifting onto a budget proposal by one house Republicans that has a titanic $4 trillion cut. Basically, when the Democrats try to appease, the Republicans just see it as an opening to push further.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Welp. Good thing were not doing this while were in the middle of several wars. Because that would just be irresponsible.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The thing is, these Tea Party douches are actually just a loud irritating minority (kind of like "the [Fundamentalist gay bashing abortion clinic bombing] Christian right") ...I don't think moderate Republicans are going to like this, or see this as a smooth move. I think it's very strange that these people are being catered to, as they do not represent the Republican party as a whole.

Anew Leaf

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...y.html?hpid=z1

I don't even know why I feel a spark of surprise.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Typo-c political leanings:

Liberal <----O----------------------------> Conservative

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Typo-c political leanings:

Liberal <----O----------------------------> Conservative
    Why does this matter? It effects all of us, doesn't it? That's the whole problem here.
    People are just seeing party identification. Has it really gotten so terrible between the two parties that the only reasonable, rational thing they can think to do is SHUT down the ENTIRE government?! If this happens, the US better be prepared for whatever the world throws at us (especially all those unstable countries we've been dicking around in). Whether or not you think it's right to be there or not, the fact is we are. And we've made several countries angry at as. What better time to bring us down when we're already tearing ourself apart?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

It effects us because you guys have effectively created an echo chamber that merely serves to reinforce, not constructively challenge, the view you already hold.

You act like the sky is falling, when under current operating procedure, all non-essential federal employees should be reimbursed for missed work after the furlough should it happen as it did in 95.

All the workers were paid then.

So basically it would be about 2 weeks paid vacation.

The military constitutes essential govt personnel, and as such will continue to receive funds as usual.

In fact Republicans have already drafted a military funding CR (continuing resolution) to make sure that no matter what happens, the military gets its funding.

Not once have I heard you guys mention the pressing nature of our debt problem, you continue to treat it as a non issue as usual.

Here's an article concerning essential and non-essential hill staff that explains it.

http://www.frumforum.com/shutdown-ha...-paid-vacation

As negotiations stall over the continuing resolution that would fund government for the rest of the fiscal year, the House of Representatives and their staff are preparing procedures in case a shutdown temporarily halts operations.

Today, Rep. Dan Lungren, Chairman of the Committee on House Administration, wrote to all House offices asking them to submit a list of staff they deemed were non-essential and thus to be furloughed in the event of a shutdown. This list is due by 5pm today.

Each office is responsible for determining which staff members are essential and non-essential. The Committee on House Administration has released a set of operating guidelines, suggesting that essential staff are those who are deemed critical to the performance of Congress’ constitutional duties (which includes legislative duties), the safe-guarding of human life and the protection of property.

Regarding the possibility of a shutdown, reaction from staff has been mixed. Walking through the security checkpoints at one House office building yesterday, FrumForum observed a security guard tell a colleague who had not been following the news that there might be impending furloughs.

“What?!” exclaimed the other security guard. “I’m not sure I’m going to be able to make my rent. That’s no good!” (Note: the security guards are mistaken – Capitol Police are considered necessary for the safe-guarding of human life and “will continue to provide protection for the Capitol Complex and Members.”)

On the other hand, some House staffers are welcoming the prospect of a couple days off, even if it is without pay. After all: springtime weather is soon among us. “Most Hill staffers aren’t too worried because we just got paid [at the beginning of the month] and won’t get paid again until the end of the month,” one legislative staffer for a freshman congressman told FrumForum.

Government staff may even have reason to cheer on a government shutdown. As the operating guidelines sent out by the Committee on House Administration note, the resumption of government operation has historically come with retroactive payment for furloughed employees. While this is not guaranteed, this means government employees have reason to hope that a shutdown will actually just mean a few days of paid vacation.