User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    It's totally about hostage taking which is the premise of Republican negotiating tactics. "If you don't do what I want, all these civil servants will pay the price. Oh and we insist that everyone be anti-abortion so expenditure towards this will be cut."
    I can agree with that. And I'm surprised the Democrats haven't caved in already... I guess this time the risk is worth it in the end (to Democrats).

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I can agree with that. And I'm surprised the Democrats haven't caved in already... I guess this time the risk is worth it in the end (to Democrats).
    Frankly speaking, if I were a Dem, I wouldn't cave on these Kim Jong-il tactics.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    It's interesting how the parties have changed. I've noticed that many people who try to defend the Republican party against the Democrats use outdated examples of the "old Southern Democrats" before the flip to say "oh our party is actually less racist."

NO - it actually was, once upon a time, when being a Republican was actually about freedom and equal rights, and before it became what it is today.

President Eisenhower - famous Republican president from the 1950's - wanted "a chicken in every pot." Today's Republicans are like "go find a chicken if you can! HAHAHAHAHAH!"

Or at least that's what it looks like to me. It seems that the older Republicans still had concern for society as a whole, and not just for individual monetary issues and extremist moral causes.

I also remember Ronald Reagan having peace talks with Gorbechev and I'll always respect him for that. My grandfather was a Republican, and I was raised in a very conservative household. I became a Democrat because I can't even fathom how anyone can get behind someone like Bush Jr...or McCain if he's choosing someone like Sarah Palin as a running mate. I cannot rationalize any of it, it's absolutely abhorrent to me.

I actually thought Ron Paul had some good ideas, until I realized that he didn't want college students to get any kind of loans. Then I realized for all of his other talk - and how moral he seemed, his explanations about how going back to small business and stopping funding to larger corporations, etc. would actually make medical care cheaper without having to implement single-payer healthcare, he gave examples from his early days as a young doctor - that he has some issues with elitism that I simply could not agree with. Who denies college students loans? I mean they have to pay them back with interest, for pete's sake.
    Everything you've said about old school republicans I agree with and is how I think the government should work. I agree with it a lot more than I do with the views of today's democrats, but they're the lesser of the two evils in my mind.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    It's totally about hostage taking which is the premise of Republican negotiating tactics. "If you don't do what I want, all these civil servants will pay the price. Oh and we insist that everyone be anti-abortion so expenditure towards this will be cut."

As far as women refusing to have sex with Republicans, the only guaranteed form of birth control is abstinence...
    Oh I see what you mean. It's also the only guaranteed way of not getting HPV, which can lead to cervical cancer - and you can still get HPV with condoms, and men don't suffer any ill consequences or have any symptoms from the type of HPV that causes cervical cancer in women.

Which is one of the things that Planned Parenthood helps to treat...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Everything you've said about old school republicans I agree with and is how I think the government should work. I agree with it a lot more than I do with the views of today's democrats, but they're the lesser of the two evils in my mind.
    I honestly think that's what's going on.... People that aren't Democrats (like myself).... Are voting democrat and siding more with the democrats right now....because they are the lesser of two evils.

Kerry laments lack of compromise on federal budget, invokes spirit of Kennedy

Kerry has the right idea... wished the house and the rest of the senate was like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    I honestly think that's what's going on.... People that aren't Democrats (like myself).... Are voting democrat and siding more with the democrats right now....because they are the lesser of two evils.
    There has been a growing trend in more independents apparently (that I cannot tell if it is true or not since, often times, a person leans a certain way.)

-----

It has become something of a "shut your bickering and do something." Do something for everyone, not just the damn rich or the damn poor. Stop attending to some stupid extremist group when they don't account for the majority of Americans. All these people can do is bicker to no end while holding off a bill that affects people. Everything the government does affect people who aren't directly related to it, including this one. And these people (and the tea party) are threatening a shutdown because they can't get their way. You're not the only ones living here you know

If you really want to help the troops with pay, stop with the policy riding and only create a bill for paying the troops for the duration. If you were to create unemployment benefits, create one that put these people in a working situation (instead of letting some of them sit at home.)

At times, I wonder what good would it have been if the banks did fail and the rich person's purse immediately dwindle like it did before the great depression. It would at least shut everyone up and do something about America.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Euughhh there is going to be such a backlog of work when the gov't opens up shop again. I really can't see this saving enough money to make it worthwhile.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Yes. In fact, I find that there are respectable people in nearly the entire span of the political spectrum. I am by no means assured that I have the God-given corner on the truth where politics is concerned; the best I can do is to have a belief system that is coherent and self-consistent, and my political beliefs are a piece of that.
    Good post bud, I've got to concur, I remember when I met what I would consider the most reasonable fascist/neo-nazi there is, it was a freakish experience but convinced me to be less sure I knew it all in politics.

I say that while being pretty sure of my own politics which are anything but right wing or fascistic, before anyone wants to coin that particular slur. Next to that experience was reading Samuel Brittan's books, he's one of the only radical free marketeers who I'd give the time of day.

If I didnt think people who I had differences with were reasonable at all I'd not bother engaging them in discussion, there are forums, persons and topics that I dont engage people on anymore because I dont find them reasonable but that doesnt mean they couldnt be reasonable or affable about something else or acknowledge differences and move on.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I'm not completely sure. Being self-employed, I have sometimes found myself as having to stop any kind of work towards the end of the 3-months period here we generally use for computing subyearly taxated income, because I was approaching another bracket. Since in my own personal case the amount of money I get paid for one hour of work is always more or less the same, progressive taxation is effectively a tax on my willingness to work harder. Sure, I could try to change my payment in such a way to better distribute any potential for excess taxation past a certain amount of hours, yet:
    - It's hard to know beforehand exactly how much time I will work
    - Old clients wouldn't appreciate a price rise, neither would "marginal" new clients

so at the end of the day I have to bear the burden, basically.
    Surely your taxation is not progressing in a manner that results in you making no net increases at all?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Surely your taxation is not progressing in a manner that results in you making no net increases at all?
    It can increase to the point where the extra effort is not worth it in terms of increased income or accomplishment.