Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BAJ View Post
    The rich get richer. I believe that's what politics in America are about, and moral issues are just things the rich use to manipulate people. The top ten major campaign contributors to McCain and Obama were very similar. Both sides are liars playing the same game.

Terrorism kills maybe, what, 60 people per year on average? Lack of proper medical care kills 100's of thousands. England, France, Canada, Japan, Cuba, and various other modern powers have medical care for their citizens. It's not a wet dream for them. We are behind in education too. Maybe that's the problem. And there's no justification for it. We are wasting lots of money in wars that are all about increasing wealth for the elite at our expense. Meanwhile, I'm way more scared of going to the doctor than I am of bin Laden and the whole Arab world and Korea combined.

Of course, it's all bullshit. I'll see it as a sign of hope when the first thing congress does is reduce their income to the per capita income of the US. Most are already millionaires. Then it will be the next hopeful sign when receiving any funding, benefits, contributions from lobbyists is punishable by removal from congress.
    What is comical about all of this is these asshats cry "support our troops" but don't want to give them adequate health care or support when they return from war. There are so many cases of this now, of injured or otherwise messed up soldiers not getting what they need when they return home.

The gap between the rich and the poor has grown quite wide, in fact the rich have only got richer...meanwhile, their taxation is at an alltime low, but that still isn't good enough for them.

The sort of people who allow others to die without medical care, yet at the same time be self-righteous about being religious, have serious issues with hypocrisy.

I take heart only in that I know there are Christians who actually think some of the actions of the Republican party are wildly immoral, and that it's wrong to link some of these financial policies to the Christian faith...some of these people are seriously confused. At least the people who don't drag morality into it - and openly admit that they just don't want people touching their piles of money - are being honest.

And to address the question of "what exactly is going on here" that Southern Kross raised...well from what I understand, the Tea Partiers are pushing for enormous cuts (even greater than the ones already being proposed) and some of the older conservatives are pushing for the social rider issues.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    You know this comment, and some of the points Seymour raised (about Ronald Reagan, etc.) make me wonder where exactly we'd find the origin of this extremist, fanatical paranoia.

Even Bush Sr. (sanely) disapproved of some of the things Bush Jr. did in office. The Republican party changed that much in less than 20 years.

Not that all Republicans are this way. I'm just asking, WTF. Where did this trend even begin?
    before bush jr. 1st term in office my dad was a republican, after that he say that the party was going nuts so he voted democrat last two elections, because he did not like the republicans that were running for office, so yeah life long republicans are jumping ship, because they don't want a country run by extremist. My dad's the type of republican that is live and let live. If I had been born before/come to age before neo conservatism took over I'd probably identify more as republican in all honesty, but now I just think that whole party is going down the toilet. Can it be fixed? I don't know, maybe we need to scrap the party and start a new one.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    before bush jr. 1st term in office my dad was a republican, after that he say that the party was going nuts so he voted democrat last two elections, because he did not like the republicans that were running for office, so yeah life long republicans are jumping ship, because they don't want a country run by extremist. My dad's the type of republican that is live and let live. If I had been born before/come to age before neo conservatism took over I'd probably identify more as republican in all honesty, but now I just think that whole party is going down the toilet. Can it be fixed? I don't know, maybe we need to scrap the party and start a new one.
    It's interesting how the parties have changed. I've noticed that many people who try to defend the Republican party against the Democrats use outdated examples of the "old Southern Democrats" before the flip to say "oh our party is actually less racist."

NO - it actually was, once upon a time, when being a Republican was actually about freedom and equal rights, and before it became what it is today.

President Eisenhower - famous Republican president from the 1950's - wanted "a chicken in every pot." Today's Republicans are like "go find a chicken if you can! HAHAHAHAHAH!"

Or at least that's what it looks like to me. It seems that the older Republicans still had concern for society as a whole, and not just for individual monetary issues and extremist moral causes.

I also remember Ronald Reagan having peace talks with Gorbechev and I'll always respect him for that. My grandfather was a Republican, and I was raised in a very conservative household. I became a Democrat because I can't even fathom how anyone can get behind someone like Bush Jr...or McCain if he's choosing someone like Sarah Palin as a running mate. I cannot rationalize any of it, it's absolutely abhorrent to me.

I actually thought Ron Paul had some good ideas, until I realized that he didn't want college students to get any kind of loans. Then I realized for all of his other talk - and how moral he seemed, his explanations about how going back to small business and stopping funding to larger corporations, etc. would actually make medical care cheaper without having to implement single-payer healthcare, he gave examples from his early days as a young doctor - that he has some issues with elitism that I simply could not agree with. Who denies college students loans? I mean they have to pay them back with interest, for pete's sake.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't think it's going to happen. Call me an optimist, but I think they'll hash something out in the next few hours.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

One of my good friends was a lifelong Republican who opened her eyes to what the party has turned into and switched to Democrat. She's just appalled by the things they do to get their way and some of the intolerance they have. She's also ashamed that she ever judged people based on their sexuality.

I have zero problem with moderate Republicans or moderate Democrats... But the extremists have got to go. This my way or no way does not help the US in any way shape or form. Obviously, you'll never make everyone happy, but my God... At least with moderates it's more likely that there won't be quite as much bickering between the two parties...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yahoo News: Abortion Becomes Flashpoint in Shutdown Battle

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    I don't think it's going to happen. Call me an optimist, but I think they'll hash something out in the next few hours.
    Maybe... but that pisses me off even more.

If they can resolve it by 11:59pm tonight, they could have resolved it earlier... which makes them world-class a*holes in my book. (Very little seems to set me off... but apparently I'm all stirred up emotionally over this one. I'm just really really irked.)

I just spent the last portion of my afternoon cleaning my office, throwing out stuff, packing things to take home, etc... just in case I'm not back for awhile. How much time are all of us wasting here, in meetings and whatever else, preparing for this maybe-not-to-occur shutdown?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic Harmony View Post
    One of my good friends was a lifelong Republican who opened her eyes to what the party has turned into and switched to Democrat. She's just appalled by the things they do to get their way and some of the intolerance they have. She's also ashamed that she ever judged people based on their sexuality.
    I was a lifelong Republican, by birth, and even considered Democrats as "bad" until about 2000 or so. Then, for the first time, especially because my growing knowledge of politics had changed what I believed, I voted Democrat in 2000 and 2004. After Dubya won reelection, I was getting my driver's license renewed in PA, and they asked if I wanted to change party affiliation, and I said, "Hell, yes," and became a registered Democrat.

The party switch was an impulsive decision, based on anger at what I had seen happen with Bush in charge; and I don't even really identify as a Democrat, I just vote for whoever I think is the best candidate(s). But I had seen enough to just want out. I think I'm the only registered Democrat in my entire family, including my ex-in-laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie.Dearest
    I became a Democrat because I can't even fathom how anyone can get behind someone like Bush Jr...or McCain if he's choosing someone like Sarah Palin as a running mate.
    Yes. I first decided I was bailing to Democrat when Bush's dirty politics in SC knocked McCain out of the Repub nom battle in 2000, and things never improved, they only worsened. And to have people even seriously ENTERTAIN Palin as a potential presidential material? I just want out of that madness. To see Michele Bachmann take such prominence nowadays... It's crazy.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Fascinating:

As the Senate opened for business, Reid said the two sides had reached agreement on $38 billion in spending cuts and the only hangup was a Republican demand to cut a federal program that provides women's health and family planning services.

"They are willing to throw women under the bus, even if it means they'll shut down the government," he said.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_spending_showdown

Looks like women who are with Republican partners should refuse to have sex with them. Woot! Hostage taking. Pathetic.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yahoo News: Abortion Becomes Flashpoint in Shutdown Battle

Maybe... but that pisses me off even more.

If they can resolve it by 11:59pm tonight, they could have resolved it earlier... which makes them world-class a*holes in my book. (Very little seems to set me off... but apparently I'm all stirred up emotionally over this one. I'm just really really irked.)

I just spent the last portion of my afternoon cleaning my office, throwing out stuff, packing things to take home, etc... just in case I'm not back for awhile. How much time are all of us wasting here, in meetings and whatever else, preparing for this maybe-not-to-occur shutdown?
    I think it's sad that they've come to an agreement on everything BUT one thing.... Leave it out and deal with it later. No need to keep dragging it on!

I didn't realize the shutdown would affect you. I hope they pull their heads out of their rears and get it together.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    Fascinating:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_spending_showdown

Looks like women who are with Republican partners should refuse to have sex with them. Woot! Hostage taking. Pathetic.
    What has that go to do with taking hostages?

Women are free to refuse sex with their partners, as are men. I don't think this has anything to do with false imprisonment - I know, I was reading about it on the Cornell University Law Library site the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    What has that go to do with taking hostages?

Women are free to refuse sex with their partners, as are men. I don't think this has anything to do with false imprisonment - I know, I was reading about it on the Cornell University Law Library site the other day.
    It's totally about hostage taking which is the premise of Republican negotiating tactics. "If you don't do what I want, all these civil servants will pay the price. Oh and we insist that everyone be anti-abortion so expenditure towards this will be cut."

As far as women refusing to have sex with Republicans, the only guaranteed form of birth control is abstinence...