User Tag List

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Default should you doubt a professionals opinion on something?

I noticed some people tend to place alot of trust in the opinions of say a lawyer, docter, engineers opinion. they are a professional, they know better. right? but say something does not go right. is the person who invested trust in these people at fault? and do they bare some responsibility?

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Humans are not perfect.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    Humans are not perfect.
    +1

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Of course you should doubt, or rather be skeptical toward a professional's opinion. However, there are some things to consider.

How relevant is the professional's expertise to the subject at hand?
    What are the professonal's actual credentials (experience, training, history of performance)?
    What percentage of like professionals share this professional's opinion?

If you an opinion is supported by 90% of all professionals within a given range of relevance to the topic and respectably developed credentials, it does not guarantee that opinion is correct, but it does make it seem seriously implausible that you, as one person with no comparable credentials on the topic in question, would know a truth that the lot of them have failed to grasp.

The reason this guideline is important is that in spite of how good it is to teach yourself and do your own analysis, you cannot possibly become an expert on everything yourself, so it is necessary that you have more expedient methods at times. Bowing to intellectual authority is one of those expedient methods.

Since I think it is perfectly reasonable for someone to do this, a situation where a non-expert is misguided by the errors of an expert (or experts) definitely rests on the shoulders of the expert, barring that the non-expert is simply failing to comprehend (though even then, to an extent the expert should make an effort to communicate well).
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    They are a professional, they know better. right?
    Not at all. To start with, professionals tend to have a narrow field of expertise. A primary care physician can hardly be expected to be an expert on all areas of medicine. This is why doctor means 'to teach' you are not merely trusting their advice, but understanding it and verifying their experience against your own experiences.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    I noticed some people tend to place alot of trust in the opinions of say a lawyer, docter, engineers opinion. they are a professional, they know better. right? but say something does not go right. is the person who invested trust in these people at fault? and do they bare some responsibility?
    Well, we know the answer to the first question, no. Professionals are not always right. But they're the ones with the licenses who are at fault if something goes wrong or if the victim hasn't been educated enough. It doesn't hurt to do your own research and ask questions, but ultimately, the person trusting the professional is never at fault.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

figsfiggyfigs

Yes.

My professor is a professional in Java, and he's a complete idiot.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

professional or not, i wont digest anything before thinking about it myself. naturally i think that professionals opinion on something is more likely true than something that some non professional says about same thing, but i still think about both sides through before believing the professional in it automatically
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I think the biggest issue is the specialization. I think you shouldn't call anyone a professional if they only look at the subject from one discipline.

Let's say you have a strange headache and you go to a doctor. He sees it as a condition that can be treated with medicine. He gives you pills. If he had studied psychology he might have noticed there are psychosomatic reasons for the headache and adviced you to reduce stress. If he was a sociologist also he might see the stress coming from your family and work environment and told you how you can modify your interactions with other people and adviced your family and work place to change some things that are now taken for granted.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yes, definitely. I've had professors that didn't know what the hell they were doing (they even plagiarized some of my ideas). I'm scared when I think they give advice to goverments / banks / etc.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp