User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Did anyone catch Obama's speech on race?

Opinions? Perceptions? Observations?

I personally didn't see him make the speech, but I did read the transcript. Personally thought it cleared up the majority of the issue concerning him and his pastor, though he didn't fully distance hmself from the guy.

But regardless of what you think concerning his politics...the guy is an amazing orator.
    Omnia Mutantur, Nihil Interit.
    'Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.' -- Roman Soldier translated by Dream, "The Wake"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JuilinThiefTaker View Post
    Opinions? Perceptions? Observations?

I personally didn't see him make the speech, but I did read the transcript. Personally thought it cleared up the majority of the issue concerning him and his pastor, though he didn't fully distance hmself from the guy.

But regardless of what you think concerning his politics...the guy is an amazing orator.
    I didn't go (it was in downtown Philly, about 20 minutes from my work), but I didn't go in until 12 anyway, so I watched it on TV. Very deft, probably a good idea, despite the misgivings of some staff members. I was impressed.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTx

He's supposed to be here in NC, I think today. 2 hours away though.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ESFJ

I am not a fan of his politically, but his oratory skills are outstanding, especially in this day and age. There is something to be said for that.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    OMNi

All modern politicians are sophists and masters of rhetoric. I trust none of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I am not a fan of his politically, but his oratory skills are outstanding, especially in this day and age. There is something to be said for that.
    I don't talk politics but this triggered me to make on small comment. Those skills are causing some people to totally overlook the real content of that speech. Of course that's the point/goal.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    I don't talk politics but this triggered me to make on small comment. Those skills are causing some people to totally overlook the real content of that speech. Of course that's the point/goal.
    He's running for political office. I think that's an understatement if ever there was one. Of course he is trying to put a spin on some on the recent things that are impacting his campaign. Why did those things surface in the first place? It would not be impossible for a president to get elected in this country without resorting to political maneuvering and tactics in some form or another. They know the public will parse every word with skeptisim, and that their adversaries will do the same to use it against them. We just have to accept this and try to get a sense for what the guy is all about. I will write about ego, self-esteem and hate, then try to explain why I like what he said.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I actually kind of liked Obama more after hearing about this reverend.
    I supported him for a change of pace, didn't I? Looks like I'm getting one.
    I also really doubt Obama is a rabid hater of whites and America. :rolli:
    I can't believe how shamelessly pundits pedal this stuff. Or maybe I'm more stunned by how many turkeys out there believe the crap they pedal.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    I watched it while working on stuff at a customer site (I don't own a TV), and I agree. He's great at playing the crowds - he should be an entertainer of some kind. However, his allusions and content are both very questionable, and this is definitely the beginning of the end for him, though he had a much better chance than Hillary. Like her, he has skillfully alienated much of his contingency. Between the two of them, the democratic party will self-destruct.

"Welcome to the White House, Mr. McCain."
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.