123 Last

Thread: Smoking Ban

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEI

Default Smoking Ban

Our little town recently imposed a smoking ban. Now you can't smoke in ANY of the shops or within 25 feet of any store front. Now, this doesn't really bother me. What stokes me, however, is the fact that you can't be on the road and smoke. A cop can pull you over and give you a $250 fine for the first offense, the second is a $500 fine, and the third can be as high as $1200.

What's even better is that you can be on your own private property smoking, but if you're too close to the road, you can get a damn ticket.

I wasn't even aware of the ban until a cop pulled me over at three this morning because my passenger was smoking. We were told to put the cig out and that the next time we would get a fine.

Seriously. What the hell? What do you guys think?
    Anything that you haven't fought for isn't going to be appreciated. It takes blood, sweat, and a large amount of tears before you appreciate what you have.

MBTI
    INTP

I think its fucking outragous; unfortunately, I'm not surprised. After they started outlawing smoking in goddamn bars, just about anything seems possible.

MBTI
    ISTx

Whether you smoke or not, a ban from smoking inside bars is Un-American and I and everyone else should oppose it! Whiskey, cigarettes and jukeboxes go hand in hand.

I believe they're trying to make it illegal to smoke in city parks, in both NYC and San Francisco. I understand banning smoke from restaurants, but outside in nature? Uhhh....

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The obvious solution is to make them illegal.
    As long as they are legal, this kind of behavior by law makers is just the pushing of a personal agenda and robbery of the right to choose.

IN my city, when the smoking ban came into affect they actually fudged the numbers to support their cause.
    83% of those polled siad they were in favor of a total smoking ban.
    However, 98% , said they were in favor of separated ,ventilated smoking sections or in other words, in favor of a "compromise"

Guess which poll question and response was never published??

When they were confronted with the fact they had been caught out fudging the report, their response was.. Oh well 83% are in favor of a ban , those numbers are good enough for us.

They are so corrupt they don't even bother trying to hide it anymore.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

We have a smoking ban in public buildings, like University, train station, often places that are frequented by a lot of people. This not too bad.

A smoking ban in cars we have not yet, but I think its only a matter of time.

There's a smoking ban in bars and restaurants imposed on us as of late aswell. In restaurants I agree, but for bars I agree with Ignite, it's kinda un-german to have a beer in a bar, watch soccer and not being allowed to smoke. To circumvent that they founded smokers bar clubs that has done it so far
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    intp

What's the connection between nationalism and smoking? What could possibly be patriotic about smoking something that makes you and the people around you ill? Just wondering since two people from very different backgrounds used this justification.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

It's easy: first of all you sit in the bar and get heavily drunk watching soccer. Then you rip off each others clothes and spray yourselves naked with oil that does burn in the color of the flag of your country. To light that oil up then you need of course cigarettes ! So smoking in a bar is actually a very intense ritual .

Sorry I didnt mean my post in all seriousness, I was more making fun out of the "un-american" thing. I tend to forget that there can be people who do mean such things serious
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP

I think people should do what they want on their private property, and extend their guests any courtesy they deem necessary. Are we not adults? Can we not make these decisions on an individual basis?

MBTI
    intp

It can be hard to detect sarcasm on the internet, especially since you know that there are some people who believe what it is you're saying, no matter how ridiculous.

I am a bit biased on this issue. I grew up in a house with smokers, and as a result I developed chronic headaches, so I have some negative associations with cigarettes. I also live in an area where smoking is not permitted in bars or restaurants, and I appreciate that fact, because it makes visiting these places more enjoyable for me.

The decision cannot be made on an individual basis in a meaningful way because it leads to a race to the bottom. If every bar allows smoking, or every bar does not, then everyone is on even footing. If every bar allows smoking, and one does not, that puts it at a competitive disadvantage. While a significant number of people (particularly employees) might appreciate the ban, there is a societal bias toward a smoking and drinking association, and these types of biases are hard to overcome. The only way to create a situation that is (arguably) preferable for everyone involved is to legislate the issue.

All that being said, I question the need to prevent people from smoking in open outdoor areas, or in their cars or homes, as long as they are not endangering the health of anyone else (particularly children).

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

I think its right ban it in bars and other such enclosed places where people aren't able to escape or avoid it. Those extreme laws are ridiculous though. Its like they're trying to drive out smokers for self-righteous reasons, not for public health. While I don't smoke myself, some of my friends and family do and they seem to be increasingly treated like leapers by society.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte